The Most Criminally Underrated Game Ever?

willmill97

I would hardly consider Spec Ops: The Line criminally underrated. There's been a multitude of articles written about the game and its strong points over the past few years, it received anywhere from good to glowing reviews, plus it reached a mass audience due to its inclusion on the PS+'s Instant Game Collection list a year or so ago. So, yeah, it's been played by many people and been given its fair share of praise. 

I would personally call the following games criminally underrated and under-exposed: 

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Psychonauts

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

Eternal Darkness

Hogs of War

• Like 3

I think it is anyway :P What are yours?

Most underrated? Hard to say, but Spec Ops: The Line is incredibly solid.

Nier

This, too, is horribly underrated. I would have added Enslaved to the mix a couple of weeks back, but after slaving at the stupid collectable trophies, I've backed off on that.

I think Alpha Protocol on the other hand is criminally underrated no one seems to have played it.

I'm going to have to get back to this game at some point (it's a one-trophy-er for me right now).

It is somewhat underrated, I never heard of it nor planned on playing it before the 2K sales on Steam last year. I picked it up, and ended up loving it. It is a solid 3rd person with great story. I actually decided it to double dip and purchased it for PS3 during the flash sales...

Edited by Waffle Pillow

d00d, Spec Ops is overrated as shit, and that's coming from someone who still has one of them on PS1...not only is it an average at best game, it's not even as good as the old ones. And I don't even like the old ones that much, sure they're fun, but they're not even close to memorable.

The Line gets nothing but positive reviews from everyone and it's frankly, in my opinion, one of the most overrated games I've ever seen. Right up there with Bioshock, but at least Bioshock is fun for five minutes before boring me to death.

• Like 1

Yeah, as with others I personally feel that Spec Ops the Line was a bit overrated. While the story was certainly interesting, and took a different approach than the average military shooter, the actual gameplay itself was very average. It seems that a lot of people think just because it had a good story it was great, completely forgetting the somewhat average gameplay (it wasn't bad, just nothing special. Frustrating as hell on FUBAR difficulty too)

But hey, props to the developers, they made a game that had a lasting impression on people, unlike so many modern military shooters these days.

Edited by wtru9
  • Like 1

The Line gets nothing but positive reviews from everyone and it's frankly, in my opinion, one of the most overrated games I've ever seen. Right up there with Bioshock, but at least Bioshock is fun for five minutes before boring me to death.

This man knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

After hearing how underrated this game was, I actually found it to be overrated after playing it. But thats just me

Totally agree... the story was decent but not nearly as good as people made it out to be, and the gameplay went from not that good on lower difficulties to downright horrid on FUBAR. The teammate AI is the worst I've ever seen in a game.

• Like 1

I would hardly consider Spec Ops: The Line criminally underrated. There's been a multitude of articles written about the game and its strong points over the past few years, it received anywhere from good to glowing reviews, plus it reached a mass audience due to its inclusion on the PS+'s Instant Game Collection list a year or so ago. So, yeah, it's been played by many people and been given its fair share of praise. 

I would personally call the following games criminally underrated and under-exposed: 

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Psychonauts

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

Eternal Darkness

Hogs of War

Common on, the same could be said about Psychonauts and Eternal Darkness, every videogame site now recommend them and does constant mentions, the rest are also amazing games kind of forgotten, especially Hogs of War, so you could say we always did feel the same, we just saw it from a different point of view.   B)

Also Anachronox.

Edited by le7Samurai

• 1 month later...

It's defiantly underrated but I wouldn't call it the most underrated game of all time. 

I never understood the hype surrounding this game.

It's a good game, bit too basic for my taste.

The story isn't that spectacular, but many people seem to think it is.

I think the hook on the story (for me at least) is the very mature look at death and the twist involving mental illness which I didn't see coming (Until the hallucinations became more obvious around Chapter 12) 

Often people overlook the flaws when a game does something well, or very well, and The Line did achieve praise for good reason, albeit with a few caveats to greatness.   The story was well done, characters were reasonably sympathetic, that is, we can sympathise with them in situations that are in truth foreign to most of us, the horror of war, the mechanics of war and the consequences on the mind of those that we send to make impossible decisions...and mistakes!   Of course, the game is an exaggeration, and it'll never compete with real life commentary, but it did a good job, it was provocative, absorbing at times and for those that found themselves invested...if nothing gave pause for thought.  

As a game though it's at the mercy of many other judgements.   Gunplay was average, the AI intermittently didn't quite live up to the latter half of it's title, general controls were clunky at times, the camera wasn't the best, graphically the game wasn't much of note...but there were times when The Line hit it's stride, with nice set pieces, well used sound/audio and theatrical cues like the good use of sand storms for both story and gameplay, an interesting cast of characters, decisions and twists that flipped what we thought the narrative was...and even the gunplay and AI found it's mark on occasion...

It's curious how much we are wiling to overlook/forgive the nature of a thing when we see it's light, and the restoration of balance for those that cannot, or do not, accept that the end justifies the means...it's a reflection, one we daren't look at when it's horror is bare.   For all it's flaws, I liked The Line!  ;)