Currently I don't have a PS4, but am planning to get 1 later this year (mainly because of Persona 5, but also FF, Tekken, Bloodbourne and some other games/series).

I also don't have a huge urge in getting Dark Souls 2, because I have a big backlog (Hitman Triology, 2 Batman games, Tales of Heart R, Disgaea 3/4, Dragon Age 2 and a lot others..).

So my question:

Is there's any advantage in getting the PS4 version instead of the PS3 or not? (or what's the best version?)

From what I saw so far the only difference is the requirement for some trophies on the PS4 require to get stuff from the DLC side story, that for me isn't exactly a bad thing, since I probably would do it regardless..

Currently I don't have a PS4, but am planning to get 1 later this year (mainly because of Persona 5, but also FF, Tekken, Bloodbourne and some other games/series).

I also don't have a huge urge in getting Dark Souls 2, because I have a big backlog (Hitman Triology, 2 Batman games, Tales of Heart R, Disgaea 3/4, Dragon Age 2 and a lot others..).

So my question:

Is there's any advantage in getting the PS4 version instead of the PS3 or not? (or what's the best version?)

From what I saw so far the only difference is the requirement for some trophies on the PS4 require to get stuff from the DLC side story, that for me isn't exactly a bad thing, since I probably would do it regardless..

The PS4 version is running at double the frame rate. (60fps) It makes a huge difference. Personally, I would wait depending on how far into the year you were planning on getting a PS4. You could always get it on PS3 and then just get Bloodborne when you get a PS4.

Edited by skateak

The PS4 version is running at double the frame rate. (60fps) It makes a huge difference. Personally, I would wait depending on how far into the year you were planning on getting a PS4. You could always get it on PS3 and then just get Bloodborne when you get a PS4.

Ok, thanks, I think that's enough to make me not buy it for PS3!

I really don't know when I will buy the PS4 (at worst around Persona 5 release), because I decided to buy it as a present to myself for finishing my Master degree, but run into some problems, and had to replace my laptop, and now that I finished my Master degree I'm out of money to buy it... so it all depends in how fast I can save the money..

But if the game runs at 60 fps on the PS4, then it probably is much smoother then the PS3 version, so it will be worth the wait!

It's apparently much harder on PS4. Some reviewers have complained that they've made it unfairly hard.

There's currently also an issue where items degrade twice as fast on the PS4 version, because item degradation is linked to frame rate in the game's code. Apparently they're working on a fix for this though.

Wait for the PS4 version, It's also not harder at all, pretty much the same just enemies are placed differently and NPCs locations moved around but mind you I've spent hundreds of hours In the series,

The item degradation thing Is abit weird considering, I had noticed my weapons degrading faster then normal but that'll be patched so no worries.

Ok, thanks for the reply!

If those things are indeed bugs, I hope they get fixed soon.

And I think I know what to expect from the game, since I'm not new to the series either, I have double plat Demon's Souls (that 2nd plat felt so pointless... even with me getting it 99% solo, only used 1 spirit to help me on my NG+++ on Penetrator..), and plat on Dark Souls. I think I probably spent close to 300 hours in the series, give or take.

Difficulty is the last thing that will ever bother me in this game, otherwise I wouldn't think in buying it in the 1st place.

Ps4 version, the Ps3 version will make you wish you got the PS4 version. The dragon shrine is more difficult but only because you get mobbed, the rest is just awesome imo. The built in auto invasions add so much value imo.

And I need help with the ancient dragon for the 5th soul, king vendrick is a king Von-dick in the PS4 version, too many random attacks.

• 10 months later...

I fully realize that this is a very old thread, but I think a lot of people would still consult it in the present moment for information. That's why I think this information could be somewhat handy for the random people that are interested in Dark Souls 2.

If you have a PS3 and PS4 then you have no reason NOT to get it on PS4. The framerate is smooth as butter, the graphics crisper, the response time better. Loading screens are practically gone. Simply a much better experience. DS2 on PS3 feels like a clunky mess after playing at 60 fps without any dips.

Scholar of the First Sin also made the game easier, in my opinion. For those returning for a second platinum in DS2; don't listen to the people who say it's harder. It's not. The reason they say that is because they only played the first area (Heide's Tower) and saw the new monsters. They clearly didn't play the rest. Here are some bullet points where the game is harder. (spoiler warning, I guess)

• Heide's Tower of Flame has Heidi Knights walking around now. Half of them don't aggro until you hit them, so no big deal. There's also a giant dragon blocking the way to Ornstein (Old Dragonslayer), but it can be easily killed with arrows from a distance. You're supposed to do the Giants place first anyway.
  • The Persuer now comes back at times (Lost Bastille) to wreck havoc. If you leave the area he despawns and you can go about your way, or you can fight him but he's as difficult as always.

That's it. Couple small things here and there, but nothing noticeable. There is literally nothing harder about this version. It is, however, MUCH more streamlined and much more enjoyable.

• Enemies appear less and make sense in respect to the area. For instance, there are only about 3 lions in the forest area now, as opposed to 60,000. 
  • Much more NPC summon spots. You practically never have to fight a boss alone if you don't want which cripples the difficulty.
  • Paths are blocked so you don't accidentally progress to an area you're most likely not ready for yet.
  • Pretty sure the shortcut in No Man's Wharf to the bonfire wasn't there last time. I'm not talking about the gate but an entire bridge that leads back to the beginning.
  • Extremely short loading times.

Heide's Tower of Flame gave the initial hype that this game was going to be harder. It's not. It's just more streamlined and more sensible (lore-wise).  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fully realize that this is a very old thread, but I think a lot of people would still consult it in the present moment for information. That's why I think this information could be somewhat handy for the random people that are interested in Dark Souls 2.

If you have a PS3 and PS4 then you have no reason NOT to get it on PS4. The framerate is smooth as butter, the graphics crisper, the response time better. Loading screens are practically gone. Simply a much better experience. DS2 on PS3 feels like a clunky mess after playing at 60 fps without any dips.

Scholar of the First Sin also made the game easier, in my opinion. For those returning for a second platinum in DS2; don't listen to the people who say it's harder. It's not. The reason they say that is because they only played the first area (Heide's Tower) and saw the new monsters. They clearly didn't play the rest. Here are some bullet points where the game is harder. (spoiler warning, I guess)

• Heide's Tower of Flame has Heidi Knights walking around now. Half of them don't aggro until you hit them, so no big deal. There's also a giant dragon blocking the way to Ornstein (Old Dragonslayer), but it can be easily killed with arrows from a distance. You're supposed to do the Giants place first anyway.
  • The Persuer now comes back at times (Lost Bastille) to wreck havoc. If you leave the area he despawns and you can go about your way, or you can fight him but he's as difficult as always.

That's it. Couple small things here and there, but nothing noticeable. There is literally nothing harder about this version. It is, however, MUCH more streamlined and much more enjoyable.

• Enemies appear less and make sense in respect to the area. For instance, there are only about 3 lions in the forest area now, as opposed to 60,000. 
  • Much more NPC summon spots. You practically never have to fight a boss alone if you don't want which cripples the difficulty.
  • Paths are blocked so you don't accidentally progress to an area you're most likely not ready for yet.
  • Pretty sure the shortcut in No Man's Wharf to the bonfire wasn't there last time. I'm not talking about the gate but an entire bridge that leads back to the beginning.
  • Extremely short loading times.

Heide's Tower of Flame gave the initial hype that this game was going to be harder. It's not. It's just more streamlined and more sensible (lore-wise).  

Adding to this:

Paige is right that the main game is easier. However, the plat is harder. The reason is that the DLC is rolled into the plat here (unlike for the PS3), and the DLC levels are no joke (or, at least, some of the bosses there). 

That being said, buy the PS4 version. It runs exceedingly more smoothly (although the game now possesses a much more "fake" look to it - it reminds me of television filming on a studio now). The enemy placements make more sense here. The "scholar" stuff actually adds some nice historical context, which was sorely missing in the PS3 one.

Adding to this:

Paige is right that the main game is easier. However, the plat is harder. The reason is that the DLC is rolled into the plat here (unlike for the PS3), and the DLC levels are no joke (or, at least, some of the bosses there). 

That being said, buy the PS4 version. It runs exceedingly more smoothly (although the game now possesses a much more "fake" look to it - it reminds me of television filming on a studio now). The enemy placements make more sense here. The "scholar" stuff actually adds some nice historical context, which was sorely missing in the PS3 one.

I can never put into words what that feeling is either.

All the hunting for 60 FPS and I feel like I'm the only one that sometimes thinks its detrimental to a product to be refreshing that fast.  Like the entirety of the first Hobbit being so "uncomfortable" to me to watch I still haven't gone back to the watch the next couple.

On the topic, the games have enough variation in them that I vote you should play both if you have the access to do so, obviously omitting the DLC on the PS3 and using that as the sweetener on the PS4.

Maybe stick Bloodborne and Dark Souls III in between so it feels fresh again when it gets around to it.

PS4 probaly is a bit more smooth, but I dont get this nonsence about 60 and 30 fps, its almost the same. I play PS3 there most games run at 30 fps and its 100% satisfying and enjoyable 

I agree that games can be perfectly enjoyable and satisfying at 30fps but for me personally I vastly prefer 60fps titles. Really though, as long as the game has a stable frame rate, whether it is 60 or 30 fps, it is fine with me. 

Parker

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

even though i have to agree that 60FPS is awesome but, actually I don't care about framerate anymore, 30, 50, 60, real life....

what's matter more now days is if the game good and run fine without crushing or freezing, just get it on what you currently have or what you're most relaxed on, if you have both consoles I would say get it on PS4 since PS4 now is the ideal place for multiplatform games just the

Like the 360 last gen, if you care for trophies then get both for the double platinum and due to the PS4 version had its own trophies.

• 2 weeks later...