Tonto's Trophy Room

James_Tonto

1L6f9e0a.png

God of War III

Platinum #96

My 30th platinum of the year, and the conclusion to the God of War series. Until Dad of War God of War comes out on PS4. I feel the game concluded comfortably, if a little underwhelming, compared to the previous title. GoW II's ending was just so big and promising. Battling and killing the Greek pantheon was a good time overall, but I'd really recommend you play this game last. Play the previous games first, it made me appreciate this one more. Also play through on Titan mode first, the hard mode isn't all that hard. Even if you'll have to do a few manual loads, at certain points, like the Labyrinth. After dying at some point. 

• Like 1

So it's 2017, another year of gaming, has come and gone. I had a great time, game-wise in 2016, I managed most of my original trophy goals. I cleaned up a good portion of my gaming backlog and I'm now creeping up to my 100th platinum trophy. That milestone is going to be a very tough choice. I have 3 games I would definitely like for my 100th platinum, I may even stumble across an even better game, or decide to make it something really challenging, like Ninja Gaiden 2 or Bloodborne.

1L909725.png

Trine Enchanted Edition

Platinum #97
Earned on 04/01/2017

So I generally don't like to play and earn the platinum for the same game twice. I prefer to play and beat it once. But like both versions of Guacamelee, I thought their would be enough differences in the games to make them distinct challenges. Hardcore mode does give a different, additional challenge to Trine Enchanted Edition, but it's still relatively easy to beat. The game looks prettier than the original Trine, and it was a lot easier to platinum and a lot less tedious in the trophy department. I'd recommend this version of Trine, over the original, or playing this one, even if you beat the original.

Edited by James_Tonto

1L09d145.png

Dishonored

Platinum #98

Earned on 09/01/2017

A fantastic game, Dishonored really impressed me. It's got great gun/sword combat, creative abilities, well-executed stealth. Plus plenty of extra challenge, with the trophies. I'd really recommend playing Dishonored, either the original or the PS4 version. Unlike a lot of other Bethesda titles, I never got any of the bugs, glitches or stuttering I've experienced with them before. Which was a major relief. I beat the game 3 times, but it never dragged. In fact, each play though of the game, felt distinct and unique. 

Edit: For my next platinum, I'm looking at either Unravel or Serous Sam 3: BFE. Before I try for Platinum #100 which I'm hoping, will be Demon's Souls.

Edited by James_Tonto

• 2 months later...

1L474944.png

DOOM

Platinum #99

Earned on 10/03/2017

I fondly remember the original DOOM. It was one of those retro titles I wasn't supposed to be playing as a kid, along with Quake and Turok. This fantastic revival of the series is very welcome, one of the best first person shooters I've played in a long time. It's a game that KNOWS exactly what it is. It's a DOOM game and doesn't just copy/paste what the original games did. But also adds its own unique flair. The game has a surprisingly expressive protagonist in the Doom Slayer, his updated design meshing the classic and futuristic/sci-fi aesthetic wonderfully with his Praetor Suit. I definitely recommend this title, one of the best games to come out of 2016.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ShakeNBake663 said:

Nice looking list! Your description about the Dragon Age Origins trophies is giving me bad flashbacks, I remember having the worst time getting that 1,000 kills achievement D;

Heh, yeah that trophy was annoying. Such a pain =/.

• 1 month later...

1L386a7e.png

The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition

Platinum #100

Earned on: 12/05/2017

Platinum #100 I've finally done it. Skyrim was a very time-consuming game, to fully playthrough. It's the kind of game I recommend breaking up across several playthroughs, since trying to do it all, will only screw you over. The game is, in my brother's word, a time bomb, seeing how much you can complete/finish before it becomes unplayable due to lag and memory size. I recommend disabling the autosave when travelling, as this really smoothed it out for me, when I hit level 50. And also shortened the load screens noticeably. You can see my more full and rambly thoughts on Skyrim, on page one, on the checklist. I also plan to go back later and pick up the last 2 trophies for Dawnguard, to fully complete Skyrim.

Minor edit: Updated my thoughts slightly, spell checked it, and added my fave trophies, from the game.

Edited by James_Tonto
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-29 at 3:43 AM, Icebrand1270 said:

Congrats on finally getting your 100th Platinum! I'm trying to do Skyrim on PS4 myself. By trying, I mean not get overwhelmed, of course. Good advice you give, if you ask me.

Thanks, reaching your 100th platinum is quite the milestone. I initially went into my playthroughs of Skyrim, not particularly focused. But found I would miss out on trophies/content that way. So I instead started focusing on specific playthroughs i.e, My Assassin/Thief/Daedric Worshipper run. And my College Mage/Companions/Dawnguard/Main Story playthrough of the game. I squeezed the Dragonborn DLC into one of those playthroughs as well, and did the Civil War, after killing the Emperor in my evil run.The disabling auto-save, for quicker load times became obvious, when I noticed the game auto-saved, after entering every location. And cause it had to save so much data each time, the loading screens kept getting, longer and longer >=(. 

Edited by James_Tonto
Spelling error fix

1L7b8776.png

Bloodborne

Platinum #101

Game Rating 10/10

Trophy Difficulty 7/10

Bloodborne was one of the most addicting and rewarding gaming experiences, I've ever had. Bloodborne challenges you to adapt to the game and find your preferred approach to combat, speed and dodging are your best assets, dodging through enemy attacks and slicing at them, as they recover from their own attacks. The game has From's trademark style of storytelling, which is more character-focused, than previous From games. Laurence, Willem, Gerhman, Ludwig, Logharius and so many other characters, really help to flesh out the setting.The enemy variety is brilliant in this game and really creative, you have Giant monster bosses, Eldritch creatures and the more common, lycanthrope type enemies. Like the crazed citizens of Yarhnam. This was my best experience with a From game, I've yet to try Dark Souls 2 or 3, so maybe my opinion will change. I can't emphasise how much I enjoyed this game. However, I do have some complaints, no game is flawless after all, but Bloodborne's close to perfect.

So first off, Blood Vial and Silver bullet farming. If it was just silver bullets you had to farm, I might not complain as much, but when I hit a really tough section or boss, like Lady Maria. I'd have to stop trying to beat her, to go farm Blood echoes, just to buy enough supplies, to take another swing at her. 200+ Vials and Bullets can trickle away fast, when you hit a hard boss, like her.  If they ever do a Bloodborne 2, I'd recommend they give you a default number of vials, regardless of your supply, like at least 10. Or add merchants or messenger baths to the levels, who you can buy stuff from, without needing to head back to the Hunter's Dream.

The Chalice Dungeons were fun in general, but also lazy, with copy/pasted level design and enemies. A maneater Boar, Three of the big Merciless watchers or a Brainsucker, should not be a boss encounter. Unless you're going to make them visually distinct and scarier. Compared to the vanilla counterparts. Also whoever decided to half your health in the cursed/defiled chalice? Yeah they can take Brador's Bloodletter up the ass, for that decision. It made certain bosses, unnecessarily hard. Particularly the Amygdala and Watchdog. Improved Chalice dungeons, if they bring them back in a hypothetical Bloodborne 2. Make them unique dungeon experiences, with all the love and detail in Yharnam, it sucks that less attention seems to have been given to the dungeons.

I would also recommend getting the GOTY edition of Bloodborne, for the Old Hunters DLC expansion, as it does add a lot of great content, oh but screw the Shark/Fish giants in the fishing hamlet, those guys are way too strong and deal way too much damage, especially when two show up, and you just want to collect the Rakuyo, from the Well. You'll want to do The Old Hunters at least once, maybe again to fight Ludwig, since his fight and theme were my favourites. Also the Insight near the end of the game, is nearly impossible to get, just by playing regularly, after a certain point, this could have been fixed, if you could buy madman's knowledge or insight from the messengers. Especially if you've lost a lot, due to Brainsuckers or spending it carelessly in the Insight Messenger Bath.

Edited by James_Tonto
spelling correction

1L9b03bb.png

Full Throttle Remastered

Platinum #102

Game Rating 9/10

Trophy Difficulty 1/10

Another remastered classic by Tim Schafer and Doublefine games. Full Throttle is a real gem, in the point n click genre. I had a blast with this game, it's short but sweet, and definitely worth your time and money. Though preferably at a $10/£10 or lower price range, due to how quickly you can beat this game.

Edited by James_Tonto

• 2 weeks later...

1L887f31.png

Demon's Souls

Platinum #103

Game Rating 8/10

Trophy Difficulty 7/10 (Probably an 8 or 9 because of some upgrade material rarity)

So first off, I want to give a shout out to Xylobe, for their help with this game. Without their help, I would be trying to grind out rare materials, especially the infamous Bladestone. And hunting down the last few weapons and rings I needed. Go check out Xylobe's awesome checklist here: Xylobes Platinum Archive and Backlog. Thanks again bud, I appreciate your help. So Demon's Souls is my second From Software platinum and another awesome game checked off of my backlog. This is still a solid game, that I think any fan of the series, needs to play, it's got great level design, very cool boss designs and some of my favourite music in the series. Check out my full thoughts on the actual checklist, on page 1.

1L9829fa.png

Transistor

Platinum #104

Game Rating 10/10

Trophy Difficulty 6/10

Transistor's been on my to-do list for a little while. I had already beaten it on my old PC, so visiting it on PS4 was a little new for me. This little gem is another title, by SuperGiant Games who made one of my other favourite games, Bastion. There's a lot I love about this game, I like a lot of little things, like how the Protagonist Red, types on the keyboard to talk to her lover, after she loses her voice. I like the slick combat system, especially the planning phase segment, as it lets you queue up moves and devastating combos. The music and level design in this game are gorgeous, I really recommend this game, especially if you liked Bastion. 

Great job.

You're playing all the games I want to have a platinum in (Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, DOOM, Bloodborne, Demon Souls, Transistor).

I'm not looking forward to the Pure Bladestone grind in Demon Souls. I might just cave in and get somebody on here to trade me the items I need for the trophies, then return them to the owner once they pop.

Haven't gotten around to DOOM yet. It's forcing me to download over 40 GBs worth of patches, which is mostly going towards multiplayer which I'm not exactly going to play too much apart from the two required trophies for the platinum.

Sly Cooper I will do pretty soon.

• 2 months later...

1L9c776a.png1L90fa50.png

1L25a470.png1Le6b57f.png1L2dc066.png

Platinums #105 - 109

Crash Bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back

Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Yooka-Laylee

Sly Minigames (100% Complete)

Quite the update, 5 platinums and one non-platinum game, completed to 100%. Gotta say the Crash trilogy was pretty challenging, in particular the time trials and collecting certain gems, across the three titles. Updated my checklist with all these games, except the Sly-Minigames. I think I'm just going to add a mention of the mini-games onto my description for Sly 3. I'm going to try and earn FURI and WET's platinum trophies, before October. Maybe Downwell as well. 

• Like 1

1Ld85987.png

WET 

Platinum #110

Earned on 20/09/2017

Not the worst trophy hunting experience, but it did grow stale, with all the playthroughs required. It's a decent game, but there are definitely better games out there. If you see it somewhere cheap, then pick it up and play it. Don't go for the platinum, unless you have the patience of a god like me, and you're willing to play at least 3 times, with the story mode and possibly repeating levels multiple times, in Points Count Mode.

• 2 months later...

1Lca3c1e.png

The Wolf Among Us (PS4)

Platinum #111

One of my favourite Telltale Games, titles so far. This game was a blast to play through. I loved the characters, I like the setting, I love the music, and the art/character design is absolutely wonderful. Seeing the various Fables in both their glamoured and true forms is great. The whole setting and universe feels fresh, I'm very eager to see more of this setting, I may even look into getting the books. 

• 5 weeks later...

1Ldc772b.png

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Platinum #112

The overall experience of this game was lacklustre, you can see my full thoughts, on page 1. Mainly here, I just wanna gripe about all the squandered potential, they had here. That could have easily extended the game, and made the story, more fulfilling. For starters, Darth Vader sends one... ONE bounty hunter, and not to capture Starkiller, but to find and capture Juno Eclipse. They could have thrown in a clone wars era Bounty hunter, or one of the classic bounty hunters of the original trilogy to hunt you down and keep you busy, while Boba Fett, went after Juno. You'd learn of the plot, and then have to rush back to the fleet, to rescue her. Maybe Dagobah could have been expanded, encounter some hostile swamp monsters, maybe have Yoda do a little mentoring/teaching, instead of hanging outside the evil cave. Maybe Vader could have rebuilt Proxy, and programmed General Grievous four-armed fighting style, into him? Forcing Starkiller to kill his friend. Those are just a couple of tweaks I'd have made.

• 2 weeks later...

1L909725.png1L09d145.png1L474944.png1L386a7e.png1L7b8776.png1L9b03bb.png1L887f31.png1L9829fa.png1Ld85987.png1Lca3c1e.png1L90fa50.png1L9c776a.png1L25a470.png1Le6b57f.png1L2dc066.png

1Ldc772b.png

So 2017 has come to a close. I admittedly didn't get to finish or earn platinums in as many games, as I intended. The year was pretty busy overall, online and offline. But I managed a lot, I earned platinums in two of the the five games, From has to offer in the Souls series. I finished off the Sly Cooper series, I earned my 112th platinum this year, and I cleared out more of my backlog. 

Plans for 2018

I plan to tackle more new games, that aren't in my backlog, for a change. Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is the game I want to platinum first, this year. From there, I want to play a lot of newer games, I didn't get a chance to try, last year and the years before those. The exception being Wipeout HD, which I am going to have to focus on grinding out the online trophies, once Horizon is finished. Due to servers closing this year.

Edited by James_Tonto

1Lf9f2b0.png

Horizon Zero Dawn

Platinum #113

FIrst Platinum of 2018, Horizon Zero Dawn, was an absolute joy to play through, I really recommend this game, it's really enjoyable. I also played through the Frozen Wilds DLC, and at some point, I plan to revisit the game. And complete the New Game + DLC.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 5:24 AM, Cassylvania said:

Nice job! I'm playing through HZD too. Might be my first platinum of the year as well... We'll see how motivated I am.

Thanks Cassy, and also thanks for being the first to comment on my checklist, in 2018 ?. Horizon Zero Dawn was a pretty chill experience trophy-wise, I was just having fun, with the game. There was never one of those moments, where I dreaded having to track down collectables. Since there aren't hundreds of them scattered everywhere, like an Assassin's Creed title, to drag out the game. I'm positive you can make Horizon Zero Dawn your first platinum of the year, you've already made, lots of progress.

Edited by James_Tonto

1L32e93e.png

PaRappa the Rapper

Platinum #114

My 114th platinum, and second platinum of January/2018. I'm happy I finally managed to finish this game. Their were some hiccups along the way to the platinum, but this game is definitely worth playing. Just be prepared for some genuine rage, when going for the Cool Rating on Stage 4. That level seriously needs to be fixed. Besides that though, I had a good time.

Edited by James_Tonto