First picture of Jared Leto's Joker. Thoughts?

TheLiamK

So I'm not the biggest super hero guy in the world if I'm honest, but if there is one thing I do like me is some Batman, and, more so, The Joker. I think he is a fantastic villain and the perfect foe for Mr Wayne. Jared Leto has been cast in the Suicide Squad movie coming out in 2016 and IGN has put up the first picture of the Joker from the movie and I just wanted to get your thoughts.

6G8xdpE.jpg

For me, it was a bit of a jaring change from Ledger's joker, which let's be honest, Leto's will be measured against. The cool thing about Joker though is that everyone plays him differently, so I'm holding too much judgement until I see the movie. I really like Leto as an actor and the casting for most Jokers has been spot in the past (nicolson, ledger, Hamil) so I'm cautiously optimistic but I can't say I prefer this look to the game or Ledger Jokers.

Right off the bat, no pun intended, I hate the design. It makes him look like a stupid scene kid, and the tattoos, especially the forehead one, are trying too tough to be edgy. 

Of course, Jared Leto's performance may be great so I'm reserving judgement on that regard until I see the movie, but right now I'm not impressed.

• Like 1

Right off the bat, no pun intended, I hate the design. It makes him look like a stupid scene kid, and the tattoos, especially the forehead one, are trying too tough to be edgy. 

Of course, Jared Leto's performance may be great so I'm reserving judgement on that regard until I see the movie, but right now I'm not impressed.

I know what you mean, the more I look at it the more it reminds me of Dante from the original Devil May Cry and the new Dante from DMC.

Heath Ledger portrayal of the Joker was a performance you'll never forget, he was darker wish he was in Dark Knight Rises. In my eyes there will not be a better Batman Trilogy or A Joker. However this is Suicide Squad not Batman. Lets give Leto a chance the tattoos are a tad too much and the teeth why are they sliver. We'll have to wait and see good luck to Leto :)

I like what I see so far. I do think the facial tattoos are a bit much, but the rest seem fine - though it would be cooler if they looked more like backyard tattoos, these look too clean, lol. He also needs to be dressed up in a classy purple suit!

I've never seen Leto in a movie before, but I like his commitment to the role with his change of style (shaved his beard, major haircut, etc), so I'm keen to see his portrayal. I imagine this Joker as a mix between Nicholson's and Ledgers (in terms of performance) - crazy and kookie, while also dark and menacing. I'm more looking forward to the Suicide Squad movie than BvS, coz I just don't think BvS could live up to the expectations one could have of 2 of the most notable comic characters sharing the spotlight in a single movie.

Hmm, i never really thought of the Joker as the kinda guy who'd just sit down and get a tattoo, more like the kinda person who'd just make himself one with a knife and some ink. I'd like to see them prove me wrong though.

Seen the teeth get a lot of hate, but i suppose it would make sense for Batman to have knocked his teeth out by now.

Edited by HappyKastanie

The image seems like it might be a Joker who is somewhere between the Gotham tv show that's going on now and the adult Joker that we all know. I'm not familiar with the lore of the Suicide Squad, but if its filled with younger versions of the villains, then I'd say they hit their mark.

I feel as if I've been suddenly transported back to 2007. It must be said first: no one can truly judge Leto's interpretation of The Joker until they've seen the finished movie. But it's clear to see that they're attempting a visually distinctive Joker; any attempt to retread Ledger or Nicholson's take on The Joker would've resulted in even more lamentation. 

Anyway, I'm not even a particularly massive fan of Batman, nor I'm I overly excited by the prospect of a Suicide Squad movie; even if Leto's performance is majestic I doubt I'd be running over people to go and see the movie. This mightn't even be the final version of the character, and maybe they're tossing out this photo as a way to test the market for a tattooed Joker - simply seeing what works and what doesn't.

• Like 1

I like the fact that it's different from Nicholson's and Ledger's Joker.

Yeah I am actually digging the design.

See Heath Ledger's Joker looked like a guy who didn't give a shit and just slapped paint on and half-assed dyed his hair (and it worked really well).

This though is a meticulous effort to look like this and that makes it almost more scary.

It is a neat look and I will see how it plays out.

• Like 1

Personally, I hate it. The tattoo's, especially the "Damaged" tattoo come off as idiotic and as something The Joker wouldn't do. But maybe that's just it, this isn't the same Joker we love from the comic books and as soon as I can accept that I think I'll be a little more accepting of this "New" Joker. 

My expectations were really high after seeing the new Batman costume which looks amazing. I was hoping we'd get a Joker similar to the 2011 Death of the family run or Brian Azzarello's take on him, but I guess I'll just have to get over it.....

imagesb72wtcu3-a-stand-alone-joker-movie 250px-Joker_graphic_novel_Cover.jpg

At least Leto is a good actor.

• Like 1

The movie isn't out for another year, a lot can change in a year. I like it myself, it's good to see change, which a lot of people don't like (not every Joker can be like Ledger). I hope to see a crazier Joker, a complete lunatic. I hope they go nuts with it, it's Suicide Squad!! He didn't appear much in the books I've read, so I'm more interested in the other characters, hoping Leto does a good job though, don't like the guy myself, but I'm hoping he will impress me with his performance.

I personally like it, aside from the "Damaged" tattoo on his forehead, the rest of them I personally think look cool.

A lot of Batman fan boys I work with all hated this when they showed it to me, not just the look but Jared Leto as the Joker.

But on the other hand, everyone hated the idea Heath Ledger as the Joker and he put on the performance of a lifetime. I'll leave my judgements for after I see it but Jared Leto's a fairly good actor so I'm sure he'll be fine and do a more than satisfactory job of portraying the Joker.