Bosses trophies should be solo only

JimmyRSX

Does anyone else think the boss trophies should have only been unlockable playing solo? Apart from trophies for normal progression being almost pointless, most bosses become way too easy with 2 or 3 players. I've just beaten Rom, which was my seventh boss, and I've done all so far on my own, with the exception of Blood-starved Beast. (I came back to him after doing the rest of Cathedral Ward and Hemwick Charnel Lane and still found him nigh on impossible, so did him with one other). I don't feel as though I deserved the trophy though, and I didn't get the absolute joy and satisfaction I got after finally beating Father Gascoigne for instance.

How many bosses have people here done single-handedly? Be honest. How do people feel about summoning help for bosses? Does it feel like cheating?

• Like 2

This goes for all souls games, i enjoy them very much solo and find the challenge just great, and i also find such trophies shouldn't unlock in coop, as they don't have the same merit...

Then again, that's the name of the game, whaddya gonna do? ;)

I haven't played Bloodborne but I think it is dumb to consider that using co-op is cheating dood. Just because it maybe easier in co-op doesn't mean it is cheating, I think too often people confuse easier methods with cheating as if both are the same. I like doing things the more difficult way sometimes on games like doing everything on the highest difficulty even if I'm not required to do so but in those times I didn't think "You know I did everything the more challenging way, they should have made the trophies this way for everyone to do like this too"

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods
  • Like 3

Why? Because you choose to masochist yourself the hard way, should everyone be fated to do the same?

Back when I plat Hotline Miami, I combo'd almost all levels in a single combo, which is very hard to do unless you are an extreme pro at the levels and even so, the reward for that wasn't any higher than anyone doing the normal way. Should everyone get punished to do the same just because I'm able to?

Seriously, what matters to you if someone killed their bosses with their friends on their worlds and got their trophies with that?

I didn't say everyone should do bosses solo; of course you should have the choice of doing them with others. That's what the Souls games are about, and I don't think they should change. I just don't think the trophies should be earned so easily. It cheapens them. And if you don't understand that then you've completely misunderstood the whole purpose of trophies and the challenge and bragging rights they create for you and others.

And if you think doing bosses solo is "masochisting (sic) yourself" rather than completing the challenges as intended by the developers, then I think you're playing the wrong game.

EDIT: I think some people misunderstand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an elitist and don't look down on people who need help on bosses. This is my first Souls game and I've found it incredibly hard at times, and have considered summoning help on all but a couple of bosses. I'm glad I persevered though. It was so satisfying when I finally beat them. But the whole community feel of the game is awesome and I love the fact that help is there should you need it.

My 'beef' is purely with the trophies. I just think they should be harder than simply progressing through the game. Trophies should be an extra challenge to the main game. Some developers either don't care about trophies, or don't really know what to do with them. Looking at you Telltale. You shouldn't get a platinum simply for completing the game.

I haven't played Bloodborne but I think it is dumb to consider that using co-op is cheating dood. Just because it maybe easier in co-op doesn't mean it is cheating, I think too often people confuse easier methods with cheating as if both are the same. I like doing things the more difficult way sometimes on games like doing everything on the highest difficulty even if I'm not required to do so but in those times I didn't think "You know I did everything the more challenging way, they should have made the trophies this way for everyone to do like this too"

Where did I say that doing bosses co-op is cheating? I said did it make anyone feel as if they were cheating? Please read posts properly before replying.

Edited by rsx901
  • Like 3

The way that developers intended? If that's the way they intended it, then they would they allow coop for bosses? I don't understand how you came to that conclusion in regards to their intent?

I also am tired of these threads. Not everyone earns trophies for 'bragging rights.' I honestly don't care what anybody thinks about my collection, and only earn them for myself. I was a completionist prior to the existence of trophies, and still try to complete things if not required for trophies. 

Regarding Bloodborne, I enjoyed defeating bosses with other people, whether in my world or theirs. I beat some solo and some in coop. I didn't summon people necessarily because a boss was too difficult... I also did because it was fun taking some of them down with others. The bosses are the easy story progression trophies that must retail games include. They shouldn't be locked out because you use a mechanic that the developers purposely included in the game. 

Edited by MatCauthon
  • Like 4

The way that developers intended? If that's the way they intended it, then they would they allow coop for bosses? I don't understand how you came to that conclusion in regards to their intent?

I also am tired of these threads. Not everyone earns trophies for 'bragging rights.' I honestly don't care what anybody thinks about my collection, and only earn them for myself. I was a completionist prior to the existence of trophies, and still try to complete things if not required for trophies.

Regarding Bloodborne, I enjoyed defeating bosses with other people, whether in my world or theirs. I beat some solo and some in coop. I didn't summon people necessarily because a boss was too difficult... I also did because it was fun taking some of them down with others. The bosses are the easy story progression trophies that must retail games include. They shouldn't be locked out because you use a mechanic that the developers purposely included in the game.

If you're that sick of reading threads like this, then stop reading them. In fact, if you have no interest in the competitive element of trophies at all, then why are you even on this site? Do you know what I'm sick of? People who spend too much time on forums and constantly complain about people apparently saying the same things. Go somewhere else then.

And okay, I don't really know that doing bosses solo was From's intention for people to ideally play the game, but I was under the impression that From made challenging games. Doing bosses co-op is a piece of piss.

Edited by rsx901

If you're that sick of reading threads like this, then stop reading them. In fact, if you have no interest in the competitive element of trophies at all, then why are you even on this site? Do you know what I'm sick of? People who spend too much time on forums and constantly complain about people apparently saying the same things. Go somewhere else then.

And okay, I don't really know that doing bosses solo was From's intention for people ideally play the game, but I was under the impression that From made challenging games. Doing bosses co-op is a piece of piss.

You're the arbiter of who should or shouldn't be on this site? Unlike you, some of us don't measure our self worth or our gaming prowess by comparing ourselves with other people. Instead of telling people to stop reading posts, why don't you not start topics if you can't handle the viewpoints of others? I'll continue to play games and earn trophies the way that I enjoy and see fit. And I'll continue to be a member of this community and post on whatever topic I feel like. 

Edited by MatCauthon
  • Like 4

I didn't say everyone should do bosses solo; of course you should have the choice of doing them with others. That's what the Souls games are about, and I don't think they should change. I just don't think the trophies should be earned so easily. It cheapens them. And if you don't understand that then you've completely misunderstood the whole purpose of trophies and the challenge and bragging rights they create for you and others.

And if you think doing bosses solo is "masochisting (sic) yourself" rather than completing the challenges as intended by the developers, then I think you're playing the wrong game.

EDIT: I think some people misunderstand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an elitist and don't look down on people who need help on bosses. This is my first Souls game and I've found it incredibly hard at times, and have considered summoning help on all but a couple of bosses. I'm glad I persevered though. It was so satisfying when I finally beat them. But the whole community feel of the game is awesome and I love the fact that help is there should you need it.

My 'beef' is purely with the trophies. I just think they should be harder than simply progressing through the game. Trophies should be an extra challenge to the main game. Some developers either don't care about trophies, or don't really know what to do with them. Looking at you Telltale. You shouldn't get a platinum simply for completing the game.

Where did I say that doing bosses co-op is cheating? I said did it make anyone feel as if they were cheating? Please read posts properly before replying.

Ok exactly you asked if it feels like cheating so I gave my thoughts on why it shouldn't be considered or feel like cheating to do that in co-op dood

• Like 1

You're the arbiter of who should or shouldn't be on this site? Unlike you, some of us don't measure our self worth or our gaming prowess by comparing ourselves with other people. Instead of telling people to stop reading posts, why don't you not start topics if you can't handle the viewpoints of others? I'll continue to play games and earn trophies the way that I enjoy and see fit. And I'll continue to be a member of this community and post on whatever topic I feel like.

First of all I didn't say you couldn't be here, why on earth would I say that? I just said maybe you should try something else if you're gonna be so negative. There's a difference.

And for someone who apparently doesn't care about the competitive element of trophies to then try and put me down by mentioning how many platinums I've got. You're full of bullshit mate.

Do you know what? I'd rather have a more realistic 8 platinums than a ridiculous 130? And do you know why? Because I actually have a life and don't devote my every waking hour to chasing every single one, all the while pretending they mean nothing to everyone else. You're a joke.

Ok exactly you asked if it feels like cheating so I gave my thoughts on why it shouldn't be considered or feel like cheating to do that in co-op dood

Haha ok no problem dood I guess you did (you really like Disgaea don't you)

Edited by rsx901

First of all I didn't say you couldn't be here, why on earth would I say that? I just said maybe you should try something else if you're gonna be so negative. There's a difference.

And for someone who apparently doesn't care about the competitive element of trophies to then try and put me down by mentioning how many platinums I've got. You're full of bullshit mate.

Do you know what? I'd rather have a more realistic 8 platinums than a ridiculous 130? And do you know why? Because I actually have a life and don't devote my every waking hour to chasing every single one, all the while pretending they mean nothing to everyone else. You're a joke.

I edited that out because I (rightly) realized you wouldn't get the irony of my mentioning your number. 

Take your own advice and understand what you read. I care about trophies for MYSELF, not for you or anyone else. If you can't grasp the difference, that's on you. I'm not the one that's concerned with how other people earn trophies. Get a life and stop worrying about others. I'll go on my way now and happily continue being a joke. 

I edited that out because I (rightly) realized you wouldn't get the irony of my mentioning your number. 

Take your own advice and understand what you read. I care about trophies for MYSELF, not for you or anyone else. If you can't grasp the difference, that's on you. I'm not the one that's concerned with how other people earn trophies. Get a life and stop worrying about others. I'll go on my way now and happily continue being a joke. 

Whatever man. I'm not "worrying" about anybody else. I just enjoy the competitive element that trophies and PSN Profiles gives me and everyone else. But I don't get hung up on earning every single one.

I like how you've now removed your trophy card from your sig (something else you've edited), because hey, nobody else needs to see your trophies now right?

Whatever man. I'm not "worrying" about anybody else. I just enjoy the competitive element that trophies and PSN Profiles gives me and everyone else. But I don't get hung up on earning every single one.

I like how you've now removed your trophy card from your sig (something else you've edited), because hey, nobody else needs to see your trophies now right?

Wow... you're still on this? I haven't removed my trophy card, so best to get your eyes checked.

Since you can't seem to shake this off, and want to continue your little pissfest... how about this hypocrisy:

- You tell me I shouldn't be on this site because I don't care about the competitive aspect of trophies, but then proceed to criticize that I have a high number of platinums. 

- You argue that you care about the integrity and 'challenge and bragging rights' of trophies. But you auto-popped a Sound Shapes platinum. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, since I and many others have done the same... but I'm not preaching about the sanctity of trophies.) I thought trophies should be a challenge and not be easy?

No who's full of bullshit, mate?

• Like 1

Let people do what they want. If people are stuck on a boss then they can summon someone for a little help. I platinum'd Bloodborne while summoning for The Shadows of Yarhnam and The One Reborn on my first playthrough. I deserved all the trophies. Why? Because I played the game to death and dropped in over 150 hours while completing the game 4 times and running through insane amounts of Challice Dungeons.

Trophy hunting doesn't really have rules and regulations.

No, but trophies do. I wasn't talking about the way people earn the trophies. Nobody can change that. I was talking about the way From implemented the trophies and the rules needed to achieve them.

Let people do what they want. If people are stuck on a boss then they can summon someone for a little help. I platinum'd Bloodborne while summoning for The Shadows of Yarhnam and The One Reborn on my first playthrough. I deserved all the trophies. Why? Because I played the game to death and dropped in over 150 hours while completing the game 4 times and running through insane amounts of Challice Dungeons.

Am I talking to a brick wall? How many times have I said my issue isn't with the co-op mechanic; that's great. All I said was it would be better if the trophies didn't unlock using co-op because it's too easy. I'm starting to think most of you want all trophies to be as easy as possible otherwise heaven forbid one of your games isn't completed to 100%. Trophies exist for the challenge. If not then what's the point?

In my opinion people can play how they want to play.  I find most of the bosses nearly impossible to melee (for me) because I'm not awesome at dodging.  But, I have a high bloodtinge build and buy a stack of bone marrow ash before each boss fight.  Repeating pistol, bone marrow, 10 shots, done.  I've done that on four of the eight or nine bosses I've killed so far (not counting chalice).  I haven't summoned help for any boss yet, but I've also kind of cheesed them with the double pistol/bone marrow method.  So, should the trophy be "only if you've solo'd the boss with a short range melee weapon"?  I dunno.  I think a game like this gives you many ways to complete the objectives, one isn't necessarily better than the other.

In my opinion people can play how they want to play. I find most of the bosses nearly impossible to melee (for me) because I'm not awesome at dodging. But, I have a high bloodtinge build and buy a stack of bone marrow ash before each boss fight. Repeating pistol, bone marrow, 10 shots, done. I've done that on four of the eight or nine bosses I've killed so far (not counting chalice). I haven't summoned help for any boss yet, but I've also kind of cheesed them with the double pistol/bone marrow method. So, should the trophy be "only if you've solo'd the boss with a short range melee weapon"? I dunno. I think a game like this gives you many ways to complete the objectives, one isn't necessarily better than the other.

I see I am talking to a brick wall then. FOR THE FORTH TIME, I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE WAY PEOPLE PLAY THE GAME AND NEVER SAID ANYTHING ALLUDING TO IT. MY OPINION IS ON THE TROPHIES ONLY, BUT THIS BEING A TROPHY SITE I WOULDN'T EXPECT PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

I posted the same topic on Eurogamer, and do you know what? Everyone understood me. Not everyone agreed with me but then I wouldn't expect them to, but at least everyone who replied knew I was talking about the trophies. The clues are in the words. You just have to read them all in order.

Wow... you're still on this? I haven't removed my trophy card, so best to get your eyes checked.

Since you can't seem to shake this off, and want to continue your little pissfest... how about this hypocrisy:

- You tell me I shouldn't be on this site because I don't care about the competitive aspect of trophies, but then proceed to criticize that I have a high number of platinums.

- You argue that you care about the integrity and 'challenge and bragging rights' of trophies. But you auto-popped a Sound Shapes platinum. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, since I and many others have done the same... but I'm not preaching about the sanctity of trophies.) I thought trophies should be a challenge and not be easy?

No who's full of bullshit, mate?

Haha I was actually gonna mention exactly the same point regarding Sound Shapes. If trophies are just for you, why did YOU pop them? After all, you're doing it for the achievement right? Not to artificially increase your score. Yeah, that makes sense. You keep telling yourself that.

And you know the only reason I mentioned your platinum total was because you had the audacity to poke fun at mine when you claim you're not at all competitive.

And don't bring out the "you still on this" card like you're somehow the bigger man. It's called replying. Something you're doing just the same as me.

Oh, I apologise about the trophy card. It's not appearing on the PS4 browser for some reason, where everyone else's are. I started on my phone, where I could see it. That's why I thought you removed it.

Edited by rsx901

tumblr_mip6ibjwnh1qhov6yo1_500.jpg

OK, now that we have all calmed down a little, the doctor has a prescription for you.

1. FROM software allowed people to co-op bosses and earn trophies, so why are you telling people they can't or shouldn't do that? If you want to get mad at someone go tweet FROM Software.

2. No one is hacking the game or using save states, so who fucking cares how they earn their trophies. They aren't cheating so what's the problem.

3. You seem pretty caught up on the bragging rights thing but once again no one fucking cares. Do you think because you soloed Bloodborne you are something special? That you will have hotties lining up at your bedroom door and banging you 3 at a time? You played a game and had fun...good for you. Others co-oped the game and had fun...good for them.

So yeah...get over it.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 2

You're the arbiter of who should or shouldn't be on this site? Unlike you, some of us don't measure our self worth or our gaming prowess by comparing ourselves with other people. Instead of telling people to stop reading posts, why don't you not start topics if you can't handle the viewpoints of others? I'll continue to play games and earn trophies the way that I enjoy and see fit. And I'll continue to be a member of this community and post on whatever topic I feel like. 

He clearly owns the internet, expect a knock on your door Mat!  :lol:

• Like 1

This Topic has been around trophie and Achievment hunting for quite some time, I tend to respect the developers  decision on this matter and not give it much of a though honestly, for example on Cod WAW the trophie for beating the campaign on Veteran didn't pop unless you were playing solo, making the co-op campaing pointless for Vet trophies , but on Gears you can play on the highest difficulty while your co-op partner plays on easy, let him get all the kills and you'll get your Achievement without any effort, at the end is all about what the developers think its best for the game, or if they even care, but if I can pick I'll always make trophies pop while playing co-op, beating a challenge feels good, but beating it with a friend along side you feels even better.