Why do people hate Dead Space 3? Would you want a Dead Space sequel?

Remilia Scarlet

Dead Space is arguably my favorite game franchise and I would be devastated if 3 was the end. I can see some of the criticism of the game like some of the story and the more action-centered style. EA's plan to make it appeal more blew up in their face. Hope they learn from that.

2 was definitely my favorite. I loved seeing Isaac being tormented by Nicole. Step 4: Acerptance.

• Like 1

Dead Space is arguably my favorite game franchise and I would be devastated if 3 was the end. I can see some of the criticism of the game like some of the story and the more action-centered style. EA's plan to make it appeal more blew up in their face. Hope they learn from that.

2 was definitely my favorite. I loved seeing Isaac being tormented by Nicole. Step 4: Acerptance.

Every series must evolve, or the formula gets stale. Dead Space kept the same tone and gameplay for 5 games if you include the mobile games. I welcomed the new change, and as a result of it, I am still invested in the series, and eagerly await to see what Visceral has in store for us on the new consoles. More power, grittier game. That is, if they even make a sequel.

I enjoyed the first 2 games because they were great horror games. The third one was a ploy to get more people into the series with the co-op gimmick and over-the-top action which really left a sour taste in the mouth for me.

Do I want a sequel? Well I did at one stage but now that Steve Papoutsis (Executive Producer) has left Visceral they (EA) can f*ck off for all I care.

You think the co-op was a gimmick? Steve himself said that co-op had always intended to be a part of the franchise. He said that it had been intended to be put in the first game but was dropped due to insufficient time and incompatibility with the environment. It was in no way a gimmick.

EA might suck as a company, but they do put out some really good games. In general, yeah they can piss off.

How can co-op negate something that the series never had to begin with? From the very beginning Isaac Clarke is a killing machine. The weapons you get push you far from the realm of it being survival as you have too many tools to even consider yourself in a pinch. A gun that can kill enemies in 2 hits and you barely fight more than 3 at one time? Oh man, so scary! Dead Space 3 is a good game. Just like Dead Space 1 and 2 are good games. But Survival Horror they are not. All 3 are action games with tense atmospheres. It gets shit on for no reason other than 'Hurr EA'. Co-op is optional but adds some interesting segments to the game for the person playing Carver and you're stuck solo as Isaac while he freaks out. It's also drop in and drop out. So you can just go into those two specific ones and be done with it.

• Like 1

The formula was just different, and so i guess people were a little averse to change...

Dead space 1 was still my favourite, probably cause you drop into thos wonderful world of horror for the first time, but 3 was great in its own right.

I played 3 entirely in coop and we had a blast, freaking each other out at every turn :P

Let's be honest : when a franchise sticks to its guns, many gamers say it goes stale, 'why don't you change it up? bla bla bla'

And when they do, they then complain for trying something new to accomodate other gamers and mix up the action...

I would also like to see a new 'pure horror' DS, but i love their games so much, i'll take it any which way they give it :D

Bring it on Visceral!

• Like 1

How can co-op negate something that the series never had to begin with? From the very beginning Isaac Clarke is a killing machine. The weapons you get push you far from the realm of it being survival as you have too many tools to even consider yourself in a pinch. A gun that can kill enemies in 2 hits and you barely fight more than 3 at one time? Oh man, so scary! Dead Space 3 is a good game. Just like Dead Space 1 and 2 are good games. But Survival Horror they are not. All 3 are action games with tense atmospheres. It gets shit on for no reason other than 'Hurr EA'. Co-op is optional but adds some interesting segments to the game for the person playing Carver and you're stuck solo as Isaac while he freaks out. It's also drop in and drop out. So you can just go into those two specific ones and be done with it.

I agree with this to an extent. The series is horror, but I do also acknowledge that it is not survivor horror, or at least not in the traditional sense. If you bump the difficulty up supplies do become scarce, but I guess I'm too much of a wimp to do that xD 

The formula was just different, and so i guess people were a little averse to change...

Dead space 1 was still my favourite, probably cause you drop into thos wonderful world of horror for the first time, but 3 was great in its own right.

I played 3 entirely in coop and we had a blast, freaking each other out at every turn :P

Let's be honest : when a franchise sticks to its guns, many gamers say it goes stale, 'why don't you change it up? bla bla bla'

And when they do, they then complain for trying something new to accomodate other gamers and mix up the action...

I would also like to see a new 'pure horror' DS, but i love their games so much, i'll take it any which way they give it :D

Bring it on Visceral!

100% agree with this. Some people are just impossible to please.

• Like 1

My Problem with it is the Media in this case. 

i hated how the whole media went nuts when DS1 came out like SO MANY PPL AREN'T ABLE TO FINISH THE GAME CAUSE IT'S TOO MUCH HORROR.

So they toned the horror down so that DS2 and 3 didn't feel the same anymore and more like action games.

On the contraries it might also be a problem that in Germany games are in generally toned down.

My problem with the game was that the controls were too stiff for an action game. It made sense that the DS3 would be more action based since Isaac was done being scared in DS2. I doubt that there will be a fourth one since the twist at the end is too big to continue within the horror genre. The only way a sequel would be possible is if Isaac has to travel around the galaxy with the ishimura, gathering allies and doing loyalty quest untill he is strong enough to defeat the reaper-esque race with a three colour ending.

• Like 4

Dead space 3 was an amazing game let down by a stupid ending. I think 2 is probably my favourite in the series, but 3 is definitely a good game. People seem to spend their time hating on things which don't effect gameplay.  The microtransactions had no negative effects on the game.

It sometimes feels like people who are angry for EA for whatever, seem to attack the games which actually are fine.

• Like 2

I'm a big dead space fan played them all and with platinum achieved in each one of them. My all time fav was the second game in my opinion dead space 2 has it all with great pacing and the hallucination sequence and the eye poking machine the game took what was great about the first which were the atmosphere and the melancholy feel and implemented it quite brilliantly.
With dead space 3 the game dev fell in the same mistake other dev of great horror games did and this mistake is transforming the game from survival horror to the mainstream action centred TPS game just like resident evil and silent hill. They wanted to apeal to a wider audience I think, don't get me wrong this game is good but not the best in the series they added great features like crafting which down right awesome but it transformed the game to a dungeon themed one looking at every encounter and hidden place as a gold mine for those resources and took away the feeling of isolation cuz u are working with a whole team. Add to that the craft ur weapon feature while cool can very easliy break the game and make way too easy. What bugs me really is they chose to go with a universal ammo and not weapon specific like what used to be and that took away a great element of strategy like would u use the line gun ammo that packs-a-punch but very expensive or use ur trusty plasma cutter ammo that's cheaper.
last point the story is forced i think and becomes boring after a while and can be summerized as the following: You need to get to a place but u must find something to get there go and get it then rinse and repeat in other words a fetching quest and u are the errands boy nothing more.

BTW i played the dlc Awakened and in my opinion this dlc is better than the game cuz it brought back a lot of elements from the classics

And i'll love another entry in the series cuz the ending of the dlc left me on the edge of my seat

Edited by Deavil2010

I think DS3 is a very underrated game. People disliked the way it abandoned the idea of pure sci-fi horror in favor of a more mainstream and action-driven approach, which is somewhat understandable. But to me it's pretty much the Aliens of the Dead Space franchise. I love Scott's original Alien but I enjoy Cameron's Aliens just as much. They both treat the material in different ways, but are equally as good in their own right.

• Like 2

The problem for me was Dead Space 3 was about as far from Dead Space as they could have gone, the first one was the best in the series and in belief it's because they used the survival horror perfectly, they had combat in an enclosed space that made the game feel dangerous around every turn, one wrong door and you were engulfed by Necros and had the fire fight of your life to survive.

Dead Space 2 they tried to open up and I get why giving us bigger environments to play in but it still felt forced, and the sense of danger from been closed in corridors just wasn't there, the enemies were nastier, the regenerating one was a pain the ass if as it chased you through the game but still just felt forced, they took everything they learned in Dead Space then ignored the entire formula!

Dead Space 3 just wasn't the co-op was a nice idea it just didn't work for me, I liked the mission system a clear point of where to go, I also liked the freedom they tried to give you but again it felt forced, they tried to close you in in some areas and then open others up, it just lost the scary what's around the corner or behind the door element, but they did try to close you back in, it was a good try to balance the previous two games but it is not the best in the franchise it will remain Dead Space 1.

EA force hands and not only that but they damage good games by rushing the development cycles and then thinking they can fix it later. Dead Space needs to go back to drawing board, back to what really worked and then pile more of it on us, they have a lore established, they have infinite number of places to go but IF there is a 4 it needs to be better. I played Dead Space 3 finished the story and it hasn't been picked up since. 

Personally, I felt that DS2 had the right amount of action mixed in with the horror. DS3 felt too much like an action game with the Human enemies and coop was meh. It can be fun, but it takes away the horror elements. If DS4 gets made, they should make it more of like a survival horror, and change the coop into something else, like Horde Survival or do away with it altogether. 

I've been playing through DS3 off and on over the past year because a friend actually bought it for me to Co-Op. (which is the only time I play until we beat it but he's very busy)

Now in all honesty I am not a huge fan of the series. I find it to be the stiffest game I've ever played. The Horror genre is my weak spot as they don't actually "scare" me or make me feel much. 

But DS3 would be last for me in the main series. (second to last if I can include Extraction)

It just doesn't feel like the other games did. Idk if it's me but the game seems a bit more empty. 

Also? Not a fan of the weapons aspect in the game. In the slightest. I appreciated that they included that kind of element, but unlike in the game Tomb Raider I just didn't like it here. 

Still like the Suits though lol.

EDIT:

Having realized this is in the PS4 section...

Should I ever buy a PS4 I would like to see a Dead Space game in there. Preferably with smoother movements. As mentioned earlier I'm not the biggest fan of the series but still it's a nice change when I go back to it.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

I've been playing through DS3 off and on over the past year because a friend actually bought it for me to Co-Op. (which is the only time I play until we beat it but he's very busy)

Now in all honesty I am not a huge fan of the series. I find it to be the stiffest game I've ever played. The Horror genre is my weak spot as they don't actually "scare" me or make me feel much. 

But DS3 would be last for me in the main series. (second to last if I can include Extraction)

It just doesn't feel like the other games did. Idk if it's me but the game seems a bit more empty. 

Also? Not a fan of the weapons aspect in the game. In the slightest. I appreciated that they included that kind of element, but unlike in the game Tomb Raider I just didn't like it here. 

Still like the Suits though lol.

EDIT:

Having realized this is in the PS4 section...

Should I ever buy a PS4 I would like to see a Dead Space game in there. Preferably with smoother movements. As mentioned earlier I'm not the biggest fan of the series but still it's a nice change when I go back to it.

I definitely agree with you that the movement feels very stiff, and having a smoother sequel would definitely improve things.

I hate dead space 3 for it pissed me off on the final boss, the damned floor kept on popping out of nowhere making me fall to my death 5 times in f ing hardcore, I had to play it 5 more times on my own to get to the final boss to get someone to join me so I can beat the game without the floor killing me that killed me off dead space 3 but it's not a bad game though nothing like old dead space games though.

edit: would I want another dead space? yes but to only end the story for the dlc made me mad for what will they do now

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1