Why do people hate Dead Space 3? Would you want a Dead Space sequel?

Remilia Scarlet

From all the reviews I've read, I think this article really nails it: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/10/how-the-dead-space-saga-lost-its-way/

The article from the link in this post hit the nail on the head. Anyone that's skipped over it should go back and give it a read.

Dead Space 3 is a good game. It's just not as good as it's predecessors. The horror aspect is lost to the co-op and new weapons crafting system. I'm one of the minority because I disliked the weapons crafting. I liked having my choice of four different weapons and decide on what to use based on what I had left in my inventory. The OP weapons and universal ammo killed the item management and made the harder difficulties too easy.

The co-op was actually very fun and I liked the addition. However, I didn't want that out of Isaac's story. He's been a loner this far and I would have preferred to finish out his arc solo. I would have been much happier if EA would have allowed Visceral to develop DS3 as they saw fit and then create a new co-op action IP set in the Dead Space universe.

I would love to have another Dead Space sequel. The groundwork is already put in place for it, but I think EA nixed the project and set Visceral to work on something else because DS3 didn't make enough money to justify making DS4.

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 1

The first game I played was DS2, then Extraction, then DS3 then DS.

Story wise DS2 is my favourite then DS, but DS3 was the most fun in terms of functionality.

DS3 also felt like it was forcing the length, I enjoyed the extra time in the Universe, but marathon gaming sessions were a pain.

However, my biggest problem is co-op only missions that have story content that isn't readily available for lone wolfs like me.

Finally, I sorta kinda liked DS3's story but I despised Ellie's devolution (Je ne suis pas une feministe). 

• Like 1

The article from the link in this post hit the nail on the head. Anyone that's skipped over it should go back and give it a read.

Dead Space 3 is a good game. It's just not as good as it's predecessors. The horror aspect is lost to the co-op and new weapons crafting system. I'm one of the minority because I disliked the weapons crafting. I liked having my choice of four different weapons and decide on what to use based on what I had left in my inventory. The OP weapons and universal ammo killed the item management and made the harder difficulties too easy.

The co-op was actually very fun and I liked the addition. However, I didn't want that out of Isaac's story. He's been a loner this far and I would have preferred to finish out his arc solo. I would have been much happier if EA would have allowed Visceral to develop DS3 as they saw fit and then create a new co-op action IP set in the Dead Space universe.

I would love to have another Dead Space sequel. The groundwork is already put in place for it, but I think EA nixed the project and set Visceral to work on something else because DS3 didn't make enough money to justify making DS4.

There has been no word on a new Dead Space game. That's just wishful thinking on my part.

Ok, so I finally started this and am currently on Chapter 5. Its not a "bad" game but it definitely deviates a bit much from the first 2 games in the main series. Especially in terms of the atmosphere and survival approach to gameplay. The resource management now comes more in the form of the amount of parts you need for weapon upgrades & customizations instead of ammo and health packs. The latter appear so frequently (or regenerate) where they are no longer an issue.  It feels more like an average TPS featuring necromorphs than the true survival horror that made me fall in love with the series to begin with. I can respect that the developers were trying to go for something a bit different than the previous 2 games but these changes are a bit drastic when keeping your acquired fanbase in mind.

However, my biggest problem is co-op only missions that have story content that isn't readily available for lone wolfs like me.

^ This is a HUGE problem for me as well! Not just with seeing the story in its entirity but as far as being able to get certain collectables and parts as well. Its almost as if Visceral Games is trying to force me to play the way they want me to and punish me if I choose not to...and I don't like it.

Edited by merciful84

There has been no word on a new Dead Space game. That's just wishful thinking on my part.

That's because Visceral has been working on Battlefield:Hardline, they'll probably work on Dead Space 4 after Hardline calms down a bit

As far as dead space 3 goes, I heard that they attempted to mainstream the experience by peeling away the difficulty and horror? I haven't played so I wouldn't know, as far as the series goes, I have a love/hate relationship with it, loved 2, hated 1

Edited by coldkillaaaaaaaa

I haven't played Dead Space 3, but I have a love/hate relationship with the series, hated 1, loved 2

That's because Visceral has been working on Battlefield:Hardline, they'll probably work on Dead Space 4 after Hardline calms down a bit

As far as dead space 3 goes, I heard that they attempted to mainstream the experience by peeling away the difficulty and horror? I haven't played so I wouldn't know, as far as the series goes, I have a love/hate relationship with it, loved 2, hated 1

Why did you hate the first one?

Why did you hate the first one?

I'm not a fan of silent protagonists, I understand the argument that it could be used to fully immerse yourself within the game and act like it's you, but if that's the case why give the character a name and his own motivations and what not, it doesn't make sense hence it's just the dev being lazy. The environments were boring, and it was simply unpolished on many gp mechanics that 2 improved upon  

I'm not a fan of silent protagonists, I understand the argument that it could be used to fully immerse yourself within the game and act like it's you, but if that's the case why give the character a name and his own motivations and what not, it doesn't make sense hence it's just the dev being lazy. The environments were boring, and it was simply unpolished on many gp mechanics that 2 improved upon  

Ah, I understand. I personally love DS1, but to each their own. 

As a fan of the Dead Space series since the first game, Dead Space 3 was without a doubt the worst one. I remember back when the first Dead Space came out and people were calling It the spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4 which Is why It's a shame that It went down a similar route as the later Resident Evil games with co-op and a focus on the action over horror/atmosphere. Games just aren't scary when played with someone else, I realize that you don't have to play with another person but It made me feel like I was missing out on a large part of the game. The crafting was also a disappointment, It felt like It was there just to sell you micro transactions (which I hate In full priced games). They threw the Iconic weapons out the window In favour of any old crap you could throw together and they just felt boring to use. Instead of dismembering the limbs of the necromorphs to kill them like In the first two games, It felt like a generic third person shooter where you just shoot them until they die.

As for a sequel, I would definitely buy It if they returned to their roots and focused on survival horror Instead of over the top action but knowing EA, I highly doubt that would happen.  :(

At first i didn't like DS3, the ducking system was ridiculous and way too many human fight in the first minutes of gameplay. Then started to grow on me, and by the end i really enjoyed. The weapon customization was a great addon on the game, and the co-op experience i've found it interesting.

I would really like to see Ellie as the main character on the next game. Maybe a story where she's looking the whereabouts of Isaac or something like that, but definitely i want to see her kicking some Necromorphs @ss.

Edited by RustedHaust

So I recently purchased a physical copy of Dead Space 3 Limited Edition (I owned it digitally, but it took up too much space. Space, get it? Whatever) and started to replay the game. This caused me to wonder why people hated it so much. I personally think Dead Space 3 is the best game in the series. You have:

- A balanced mixture of horror and action. 

- You can complete the entire game alone, which adds intensity to the encounters and makes the game much harder, especially on Supreme Survivor mode.

-But you also have Co-Op for those who prefer a partner. The Co-Op mode was very well implemented in my opinion.

-Interesting new Necromorphs and Enhanced Necromorphs

-Weapon crafting, which by far is my favorite new addition to the series.

-Improved spacewalks.

-Retro mode.

-A ton of secrets and collectibles.

-You can use classic gameplay or modern gameplay.

In my opinion, Dead Space 3 has it all. Heck the game even references Mass Effect as a series that the inhabitants of the DS universe enjoys. What could be better than that?

So, the obvious complaints that the series is headed in a new direction aside, why do you dislike the game? I honestly cannot find a reason to be disappointed by it. That aside, would you want a Dead Space sequel on the PS4?

Dead Space 3 was not a bad game, but not necessarily a great game either. I myself did not find it very appealing since it took what made the first two games so great into "utter trash" some may say. One of the main things which I loved about the first two games, which was not in Dead Space 3, were Power Nodes. Power Nodes always had a reason to be used in the Dead Space universe, but in Dead Space 3 they were nonexistent. You mean to tell me you would put an item in two of your games, then not make them available in the third game? That doesn't make sense. Although, one can argue as Issac is an Engineer, thus can bypass locks (etc..) and take scarp metal to form new weapons, then use them to make upgrade chips. All thoughts aside, it wasn't a bad Dead Space game, but not necessarily a great one. 

If I had to rank them: Dead Space 2 >= Dead Space 1 > Extraction > Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3 is a really bad game and an embarrassment to its predecessors

Totally agree with the embarrassment to its predecessors.

Dead Space 3 is a good game but the story was so forced they could have made it a spin off and let poor Isaac be happy with Ellie.

Edited by predator086siren

Much like Resident Evil, the fans feel like it went too far in to the action direction which took away from the survival-horror feel. Are these new action-heavy games bad? Not really. But they aren't what the fans were hoping for. That makes it easy for them to immediately call them trash.

I've only played the fist one, and it was not a bad game, amazing graphics and mechanics for its time.. but its complete and utter boring story and screenplay made me lose interest for anything related to Dead Space for good

Edited by Clairvoyant_666

All I know is that I played this on the PC online with my brother and it was an absolute hoot.

That being said, I've never really played any of the other Dead Space games.  Wouldn't matter though, since I do generally try to judge a game on it's own merits... and find the whole "<latest entry in a franchise> is a good game, just not a good <franchise name> game" attitude kind of reprehensible.  Either it's a good game or it's not.  Anything aside from that is just conjecture.

• Like 1

I personally haven't played the third main Dead Space game. I enjoy the Franchise, the second game being my favorite, but the first game had a much better atmosphere to it. These games aim to give you a very tense experience as you play through them. Unlike say Resident Evil HD, where you try to avoid the monsters though, the Dead Space games throw you into enclosed spaces with them and force you to fight them. I was admittedly too scared to pick up Dead Space 1 after I first played it for months, because I just had limited experience and exposure to horror games. I eventually manned up and played through it though. Dead Space got me into Horror games, and that is why it's kinda special to me. Sure I had watched people play through the Resident Evil games, but Dead Space was the one I chose to experience on my own.

I've completed all the games prior to DS3, and I can tell you what immediately turned me off of buying the third installment. Co-op and Micro-Transactions. Horror games are meant to be solo experiences, it's you, ALONE against the world of scary monsters that wanna rip off your face. Co-op lessens the tension, because you've got backup, it makes the whole experience less tense. The micro-transactions is something I find disgusting, especially in a full-retail game that starts out at $60/£40 originally. EA forced visceral to put in micro-transactions in a horror game. As if to imply you can simply buy all the best shit and breeze through the game. Even if that isn't the case, micro-transactions also make me feel that the company is still trying to squeeze money out of me, after my initial purchase.

I will eventually buy DS3, probably new given it's so cheap now, because I am still a fan of the series. But I only want a sequel to finish up the main story, no-more games after 4, you can have tie-in games sure, but no more main storyline games. It seems this is how the Uncharted Series plans to end, but I can't say that with a 100% certainty.

I personally haven't played the third main Dead Space game. I enjoy the Franchise, the second game being my favorite, but the first game had a much better atmosphere to it. These games aim to give you a very tense experience as you play through them. Unlike say Resident Evil HD, where you try to avoid the monsters though, the Dead Space games throw you into enclosed spaces with them and force you to fight them. I was admittedly too scared to pick up Dead Space 1 after I first played it for months, because I just had limited experience and exposure to horror games. I eventually manned up and played through it though. Dead Space got me into Horror games, and that is why it's kinda special to me. Sure I had watched people play through the Resident Evil games, but Dead Space was the one I chose to experience on my own.

I've completed all the games prior to DS3, and I can tell you what immediately turned me off of buying the third installment. Co-op and Micro-Transactions. Horror games are meant to be solo experiences, it's you, ALONE against the world of scary monsters that wanna rip off your face. Co-op lessens the tension, because you've got backup, it makes the whole experience less tense. The micro-transactions is something I find disgusting, especially in a full-retail game that starts out at $60/£40 originally. EA forced visceral to put in micro-transactions in a horror game. As if to imply you can simply buy all the best shit and breeze through the game. Even if that isn't the case, micro-transactions also make me feel that the company is still trying to squeeze money out of me, after my initial purchase.

I will eventually buy DS3, probably new given it's so cheap now, because I am still a fan of the series. But I only want a sequel to finish up the main story, no-more games after 4, you can have tie-in games sure, but no more main storyline games. It seems this is how the Uncharted Series plans to end, but I can't say that with a 100% certainty.

I honestly never noticed the micro-transactions everyone rails on about. I have never put a single cent into Dead Space 3 apart from the money I spent to buy it and I'm doing perfectly fine in the game. I have too much fun killing shit to give a crap about micro-transactions. Also, don't avoid a good game just because of something completely optional.

Edited by AnimeDreama
  • Like 1

- the story is all about Issac don't give a shit about anyone died around him but Ellie, and ellie felt like doesn't even fit in DS3 story.

- ending was really disappointing, don't tell me there's a hidden ending via the DLC, no thanks i saw the original ending on the Disc and it say it all.

- wall scaling section was horrible there's a lot's of them.

- the so called new feature the rolling evade is useless!.

- Issac is still run like an old woman and so do Carver, which have the same body / animations / speed and even ignorance as Issac... One Mind One Body!.

- it was the third game and still no skip cut scene feature, even if you beat the game 100 times you still need to go through every single cut scene and dialog, it's not really of a problem until you go attempting the Hardcore run, you die your save file for hardcore run will auto-erased you'll return to the very began of the game and you'll watch every single cut scene all over again.

- they reused every jump scare available in DS1, 2 and put them all together in DS3, you can almost feel it " Oh! look at this vent, i bet something will gonna jump me from it any moment *something jump out of it scraming* HAHAHA! awesome!  :facepalm:.

- i don't know about the PC version but unlike it's Japanese sisters Resident evil 5 and 6 the Co-op in DS3 is only online! no offline split screen on one console, you want those Co-op trophies ( which by the way it's a must if you want the platinum )? go filling one of your friend's mailbox with " Buy Freaking Dead space 3 so we can play it together NOW! " or play with any strangers you came across online. and i agree with everyone, the game is already not so scary and the co-op made the game even more none horror-ish each of you can now back to back each other like a swat team.

but i also have to agree the co-op came with something new, each player can now see their own mind freak trip, i was playing with Carver and my friend as Issac, we entered an elevator and on the way down i saw the walls of the elevator start to bleed and the lights turn off, i told my friend did you see that? and he told me No, what is it? 

one time we were exploring around for the co-op missions then suddenly Issac start running around waving his hand like if he got crazy and my friend was screaming on the mic, " Woah! where did these monster came from? where the hell did you go yellow!!! " also one of the time i got one of these mind trip which i was in a dark world and those feeder came running at me from every where, my friend told me that carver was sitting on the floor grabbing his head and a bunch of necromorp something came attacking him yet still need to guard  me on the real world of his side.

i already did point out in most recent platinum of my DS3 plat that don't think i need a sequel of this game, even if there'll be a DS4 on current gen i'm not gonna bother playing it, i'm done with this series. 

Edited by yellowwindow7

DS3 is an ok game and I really want to see what happens next. Though I think a sequel will probably action-oriented based on the DLC ending. The only thing that seemed like a plothole was the connection between the event at the end of the main game and the start of the DLC.

The micro-transactions is something I find disgusting, especially in a full-retail game that starts out at $60/£40 originally. EA forced visceral to put in micro-transactions in a horror game. As if to imply you can simply buy all the best shit and breeze through the game. Even if that isn't the case, micro-transactions also make me feel that the company is still trying to squeeze money out of me, after my initial purchase.

I've played DS3 and I can guarantee you don't need to use it. You can also use ingame currency to buy resources if you want. 

• Like 1

Dead space was one of the best surprises last gen, the complain was because of the micro transactions and lack of more horror. To me the game was great and fun, but in the doesn't come near dead space 2 which was easily top 5 last gen.

Dead space 2 deserves a place if gems like my personal best the last of us, bioshock infinite, heavy rain, final fantasy xiii and demon souls

Edited by Mah2c

People don't like it because it has almost nothing of what made them like DS1. It might take place in the same universe, but it's a different game altogether.

And the new weapon system make the difficulty trivial even on higher difficulty levels.

I have read most of the comments in this thread. Seems like there a lot of people with mixed feelings.

I have played a lot of games and I try to play each game as a new experience taking into account the varies parts of the story from other games.

The Dead Space series in itself is one that I am drawn to simply because it's setting is in space. I did not want to play the first Dead Space though. The Demo for Dead Space 1 really turned me off from the game and I really didn't want to play it, but upon finding out what the story was, I quickly fell in love with it as it reminded me so much of the movie, Event Horizon. Anyone who has seen that movie had to have similar feelings.

Saying that, I am a big fan of Dead Space as a whole for a variety of reasons. Dead Space 2 brought a whole bunch of different challenges than Dead Space 1. Not as isolated as the first, but still keeping within the elements of the first game adding in various action sequences that really had you biting your nails. I know the whole drill ride on hardcore had me sweating hehe.

Dead Space 3. hated by many, adored by some, leaving a lot of people not sure. I personally loved the game, but then I am not trying to compare it to the other additions. Doing so would be comparative to trying to compare Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 when they are all different for their own reasons. Granted this is a different situation as Dead Space 3 really is different in more ways than others.

The space walking is one of my favorite parts, The re-entry sequence to the planet has to be one of my favorite parts of ANY game. I suppose if you are hooked on different aspects from the previous games, it could have been a bit disappointing.

I would love if they found a way to make another one. I would play it.

• Like 1

I love Dead Space 3, whether I'm playing alone or with someone else. I was fortunate to be able to play with a friend (and eventually other people I met on PSN) who had a mic and the same play-style as mine, so maybe that's why I enjoyed the co-op so much. When I've played with random people with no mic who seemed to just want to barrel through without exploring, it definitely took away from the enjoyment of the story.

I also love Dead Space and Dead Space 2. I hated Ignition at first, but came to appreciate it in the end. If they make a Dead Space 4 or even re-release previous games on the PS4, I will definitely be all over that!

• Like 1