Why do people hate Dead Space 3? Would you want a Dead Space sequel?

Remilia Scarlet

Doing so would be comparative to trying to compare Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 when they are all different for their own reasons. 

It's actually pretty normal to compare a later game with it's predecessor. Everybody does it with pokemon,zelda,cod,ac,tales of, uncharted, dragon age and mass effect. This happens with literaly every sequel of any form of entertainment. Sure in sequels they add bits of different things to keep it fresh, but the core of the game is still very much the same. People expect a similar experience when they buy a sequel, and tend to be dissapointed when it's something different then what they expected such is the case with DS3. DS3 isn't ride to hell retribution bad but the differences in gameplay and the bad marketing decisions prevented people from enjoying it, 

Edited by DDrag00n

• 7 months later...

I DIDN'T hate it per-se, I loved the story and the environments and partial open-ness of it was great, it was also fun to play through and explore, weapon upgrading and upgrade creation was the best they did

It's dragged down by EA fucking it all up with Co-op. The co-op isn't good, the co-op took away from the main experience as they made SP far too much of a cluster at times, literally trying o force you to Co-op. Also, they locked around 10 trophies between co-op which as I recall they promised you wouldn't need to try, but nope, all collectibles require it, optional missions, completing the game on some modes is much easier

Finally, the nail in the coffin for me, was the game was over-casualised. Necromorphs are killed by limb dismemberment with engineering makeshift weapons. Here have pulse cannons, machine guns, rocket launchers. Don't worry about dismembering them, just shoot them in the torso 'til they die. They destroyed the ONE thing, other than the beautiful settings and story which they nailed once more, that the franchise had going for it

Combat

I don't want another one, and this is with liking Ellie and Isaac as characters and wanting to see what happens to them

it's a shame, but it's proof EA turns anything they touch to shit 

You think the co-op was a gimmick? Steve himself said that co-op had always intended to be a part of the franchise. He said that it had been intended to be put in the first game but was dropped due to insufficient time and incompatibility with the environment. It was in no way a gimmick.

EA might suck as a company, but they do put out some really good games. In general, yeah they can piss off.

Co=op was shoe-horned in, they had the budget to put it in Dead Space 2, where they introduced a character who would be prime picking for Co-op (Ellie) yet they didn't put it in. Funny that, EA is just a money-train and they destroyed this franchise, from what I recall it didn't do very well, so there'll never be a sequel. Also the gameplay didn't feel stale after Dead Space 2. It felt like they'd perfected it and I looked forward to Dead Space 3, they ruined the combat system they perfected in 2, in 3. So yeah

Please, think before posting random crap

I DIDN'T hate it per-se, I loved the story and the environments and partial open-ness of it was great, it was also fun to play through and explore, weapon upgrading and upgrade creation was the best they did

It's dragged down by EA fucking it all up with Co-op. The co-op isn't good, the co-op took away from the main experience as they made SP far too much of a cluster at times, literally trying o force you to Co-op. Also, they locked around 10 trophies between co-op which as I recall they promised you wouldn't need to try, but nope, all collectibles require it, optional missions, completing the game on some modes is much easier

Finally, the nail in the coffin for me, was the game was over-casualised. Necromorphs are killed by limb dismemberment with engineering makeshift weapons. Here have pulse cannons, machine guns, rocket launchers. Don't worry about dismembering them, just shoot them in the torso 'til they die. They destroyed the ONE thing, other than the beautiful settings and story which they nailed once more, that the franchise had going for it

Combat

I don't want another one, and this is with liking Ellie and Isaac as characters and wanting to see what happens to them

it's a shame, but it's proof EA turns anything they touch to shit 

Co=op was shoe-horned in, they had the budget to put it in Dead Space 2, where they introduced a character who would be prime picking for Co-op (Ellie) yet they didn't put it in. Funny that, EA is just a money-train and they destroyed this franchise, from what I recall it didn't do very well, so there'll never be a sequel. Also the gameplay didn't feel stale after Dead Space 2. It felt like they'd perfected it and I looked forward to Dead Space 3, they ruined the combat system they perfected in 2, in 3. So yeah

Please, think before posting random crap

EA has repeatedly stated that Dead Space has not been canned and they want to make a sequel to 3. Also, way to revive a completely dead thread lol

• 2 weeks later...

Besides what other people mentioned before, I think that compared to Dead Space 2, 3 seemed less darker in thematic.

Weapon crafting makes the game much easier and less scary. It gave me more reassurance that I could spend time at a bench and make cool stuff and try it out against Necromorphs.

Normally, the idea sounds cool, but when you aim to horror, it's one of the worst things you can do imo. You don't want the player to feel reassured in anything, you want him/her to feel helpless. True, you can get that on the highest difficulties, but it didn't feel pushed to it's fullest extent, and I blame that on how some of the story unfolded.

Isaac is obsessed with Ellie in pretty much the entire game. His drive is basically keeping her safe.

...Are you serious? We're at the so called Marker homeworld and you care more about a girl than solving the mystery behind it?

Dead Space 1 and 2's drive was more centered about the threat itself. Isaac did have some sort of obsession with Nicole, but it was justified by both the grief of it (which is still a bit cliche) and the Marker's Illusions. Furthermore, Isaac grows as a character in Dead Space 2, fighting against the illusions throughout the game and having an understandable outcome towards the end.

After so much and actually having overcome his illusions, you expect a strong willed Isaac in Dead Space 3 and you get it...on certain parts.

Why not instead on focusing on his loop of keeping Ellie safe and bickering with Norton like a kid, you actually show me more deep dark backstory regarding Tau Volantis and its inhabitants? how did the Marker appear? Better yet, make Isaac experience all that through the chapters.

My main drive might not be helplessness anymore, but the mystery to solve what the heck happened replaces that. You even make me more interested by throwing me almost at the start of the game just how big and terrifying the threat is, not by keeping it in the dark for too long. I found myself agreeing with Norton of just getting the hell out and be done with it. Why? Because I still didn't understand what was so wrong with leaving the damn planet and just lift a red flag.

I don't want the characters always telling me what to do. I want to experience it myself. That is the goal of a hook, and this game needed that.

Dead Space 3 is a good game, but it could have been much better if they had crafted a brilliant story behind it.

Edit: I want a sequel, but a last one. End the story with a well-deserved ending and put the IP to sleep for a long while.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Dead Space 1 and 2 was superb. Dead Space 1 a 10/10 2nd game 9/10 from me but the 3rd a 5/10... i am really not enjoying this 1... that coop bulshit let me really offf, it was stupid!!... and you couldnt access coop until certain part of the mission. And when you got to that certain part, the game didnt give you a reminder so on mission 11 and 14 i passed them? really pissed me of.

But yeah Dead space 3 is an action game.... not horror ,which is really sad, it destroyed what the series set out to be. Just my opinion about it.

Love the Dead Space franchise and all the games that were made to bring the world and lore to life. Sure, there were some games better than others, but enjoyed them nevertheless. Would like to have a remaster of all three, a reboot, or a new game in the series. I can dream can I? ?

• Like 2

Well, since other people are bumping this topic, guess I'll contribute something. Dead Space 3 possibly has the most glaring or quantitative flaws in the trilogy, but it's still a fantastic game and great Dead Space installment (as the OP alludes to with all of some of the examples said). Quality is going to drop, however, when the servers close, just like it did for other popular games. Lastly, yes, I want a Dead Space sequel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

The thread itself has become a necromorph this very day. 

*pulls out plasma cutter*

Seriously though i would be happy with a remaster of the first 2 or a ds4, with a sway to how the original "felt". 

The atmosphere was one of they key parts of this series and they gradually lost it. 

Haha, yeah i was like no one said their opinion in this thread for 5 years ,so ill revive it?

7 years on and history really has not been kind to this game compared to earlier entries. 

They clearly wanted to make this a Gears clone to try and appeal to the dudebro casual type of gamer who buys very few games other than the latest big budget shooters, alienating their original fanbase. The microtransactions- which the crafting system was also clearly built around rather than the other way round- also dates this game terribly. It's not a bad game but it isn't up to par with what made the first two games great. At the time I remember being very, very disappointed. Not because I am hard to please or averse to change but because the game was very obviously taken in a direction that did not suit the series at all. That's why it is dead now. I'd love a sequel to finish off the story as long as they take the series back to its roots. EA don't want it because it wouldn't sell 10 million copies in three days, but the demand is there.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

I actually really liked it, especially if you're playing as carver and see his nightmares throughout the game. The only downside is when the servers go down, that portion of the game will be gone forever. It's my second favorite dead space game behind 2, with 1 being last place for me at least

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I can't believe people actually enjoyed this.

A balanced mix of horror and action? There is nothing scary in this title. There are enemies popping out of vents in nearly every room, my friend and I were making a guessing game for when they were gonna jump out (which wasn't necessary since they never stopped). It was predictable and got boring almost instantly due to the lack of suspense that the first game had.

The difficulty is balanced horribly, when playing with a coop partner you will have around 18 healing items through the majority of the game, only losing them in stupid sections like a ship shooting machine guns from the sky at you (so scary and intense!) and then regaining a full inventory almost instantly. We were playing on hard mode, mind you and it was a laughable walk in the park when you ignore the sudden difficulty spikes that come from bad design.

The level design is pathetic. While I enjoyed some locations, like the snow and space ones, about 50% is copy and pasted filler. I swear there were like 5 instances of the optional mission end room being the EXACT same thing and almost every corridor being the same which left us guessing if we were already there five minutes or an hour ago.

Dead Space 3 LOVES wasting your time. You're constantly doing the exact same minigame, spamming x in these very necessary quick time events, backtracking through locations you've already visited, riding in 30-second elevators, sitting through unskippable cutscenes and of course fighting endless hordes of brainless monsters (a room with 40 of these bois is not exactly balanced or fitting for a "survival horror")

New interesting enemies? Really? Most of them are recycled from previous games and the only ones I could even attempt to call interesting would be the Twitchers, since they were fused with stasis and move very irregularly. The other new additions just look like something a 16-year-old kid would make as a mod for Cry of Fear.

Is having a lot of collectibles a good thing now? I thought that the amount was absolutely ridiculous and you could probably make a book out of the collectibles guide alone.

My biggest gripe with this game was how long it is. It took us 18 hours to beat it while grabbing all collectables and optional missions and it should've been cut to 8-10. Nearly every level was mind-numbingly dull and I constantly felt like I have to push myself to the end.

I don't think I even have to mention the story and the writing which made me cringe on multiple occasions, just terribly hamfisted exposition and a barrage of clichés. The characters are cartoony and have the depth of a kiddie pool.

The gameplay is between bad and mediocre. The shooting isn't anything special and the do-or-die sections and climbing sections are just sooo incredibly annoying and repetitive. It really feels like they were trying to overcompensate by making this game as long as possible.

Is a Mass Effect reference in the form of a suit really the thing that sold you? EA owns both franchises, and it's not like it has any impact on the game whatsoever.

The only good things I can think of were the crafting system which lets you make a lot of unique weapons and the music at times.

All in all, this is an awful game that feels like someone put Dead Space 1 in a washing machine that stripped everything good from the first entry and dumped this substanceless cash grab out in the world. Thank god Visceral closed down and we won't see the series bastardized even more.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Johnytomm said:

I can't believe people actually enjoyed this.

A balanced mix of horror and action? There is nothing scary in this title. There are enemies popping out of vents in nearly every room, my friend and I were making a guessing game for when they were gonna jump out (which wasn't necessary since they never stopped). It was predictable and got boring almost instantly due to the lack of suspense that the first game had.

The difficulty is balanced horribly, when playing with a coop partner you will have around 18 healing items through the majority of the game, only losing them in stupid sections like a ship shooting machine guns from the sky at you (so scary and intense!) and then regaining a full inventory almost instantly. We were playing on hard mode, mind you and it was a laughable walk in the park when you ignore the sudden difficulty spikes that come from bad design.

The level design is pathetic. While I enjoyed some locations, like the snow and space ones, about 50% is copy and pasted filler. I swear there were like 5 instances of the optional mission end room being the EXACT same thing and almost every corridor being the same which left us guessing if we were already there five minutes or an hour ago.

Dead Space 3 LOVES wasting your time. You're constantly doing the exact same minigame, spamming x in these very necessary quick time events, backtracking through locations you've already visited, riding in 30-second elevators, sitting through unskippable cutscenes and of course fighting endless hordes of brainless monsters (a room with 40 of these bois is not exactly balanced or fitting for a "survival horror")

New interesting enemies? Really? Most of them are recycled from previous games and the only ones I could even attempt to call interesting would be the Twitchers, since they were fused with stasis and move very irregularly. The other new additions just look like something a 16-year-old kid would make as a mod for Cry of Fear.

Is having a lot of collectibles a good thing now? I thought that the amount was absolutely ridiculous and you could probably make a book out of the collectibles guide alone.

My biggest gripe with this game was how long it is. It took us 18 hours to beat it while grabbing all collectables and optional missions and it should've been cut to 8-10. Nearly every level was mind-numbingly dull and I constantly felt like I have to push myself to the end.

I don't think I even have to mention the story and the writing which made me cringe on multiple occasions, just terribly hamfisted exposition and a barrage of clichés. The characters are cartoony and have the depth of a kiddie pool.

The gameplay is between bad and mediocre. The shooting isn't anything special and the do-or-die sections and climbing sections are just sooo incredibly annoying and repetitive. It really feels like they were trying to overcompensate by making this game as long as possible.

Is a Mass Effect reference in the form of a suit really the thing that sold you? EA owns both franchises, and it's not like it has any impact on the game whatsoever.

The only good things I can think of were the crafting system which lets you make a lot of unique weapons and the music at times.

All in all, this is an awful game that feels like someone put Dead Space 1 in a washing machine that stripped everything good from the first entry and dumped this substanceless cash grab out in the world. Thank god Visceral closed down and we won't see the series bastardized even more.

^this

• Like 1

I loved the first 2, but yea, 3 wasnt as good.

Seemed to go the same way as RE didnt it by getting more and more action based and less and less survival horror based.

Fingers crossed that with the success of the RE remakes, EA are considering some sort of Dead Space remake or something going back to its roots

Edited by Optinooby