Need help with 'Champion' trophy

iNiko33

Hi guys,

I'm confused about the 'Champion' trophy, as I read conflicting opinions on how to get this on the internet.

Can people who earned it explain how they did?

- Is 'a single session' a game (until you die) or a gaming session (until you quit the game) or both?

- Which monsters are required (i.e. does it include lichs, minotaurs, goblins etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I finally got it, and so the platinum.

I'll try to help people trying to get it, please keep in mind that the trophy description is misleading.

In fact, you CAN die. You have to kill one of each enemy without quitting the game (or going to the ps4 menu, just to be sure). No matter how many games you play, just don't close Hand of Fate.

Enemies required are :

- 4 base unit types (bandits, rats, lizards, skeletons)

- 4 unlockable enemies (lich, minotaur, golem, mage)

I didn't kill gobelins so I can confirm they are not required.

I died a lot, got the 6 first ones real quick but struggled to find minotaurs and lichs in infinite mode.

Then I tried on the last story level (dealer), and got a minotaur then a lich in just 4 games. Trophy popped right after I killed the lich.

So my advice is to loop-play the dealer level until you kill one of each enemy. No matter if you die. Simple as that. If only I knew it earlier!..

Good hunt everyone, it's a hard but rewarding platinum!

PS : My game is up to date on 1.05

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

NOTE: It has been suggested that a kill by "Wrath of the Gods" does not count towards this trophy.

If you acquire this blessing during your session you should forfeit just to be on the safe side.

It is rare that the Lich or Minotaur spawn, if you leave it up to chance you might waste hours achieving nothing like I did.

However I just got this trophy and here is how.

Backup your game save files to usb.

Reset progress in the options menu.

Accumulate the cards "Dark Ritual, Fire in the Deep, and Minotaur Maze."

Complete "Dark Ritual" to get the card "The Lich".

Force the rare monsters to spawn by completing "The Lich, Fire in the Deep, and Minotaur Maze" in one session.

In that same session you also need to kill bandits, rats, lizards, skeletons, and mages.

You can die. You can forfeit. You can't quit the game to redo any bad card picks.

Once you have the trophy, restore your game save from usb.

I recommend King of Plague runs because the curses and challenges are easy to manage.

Kolbane.png

Edited by Kolbane

I was actually planning to do that, since I've only seen Minotaur once outside the Maze despite playing the game for probably close to 50 hours already while earning other trophies.  Liches are also rare, but not that rare, I've seen them close to 10 times.

EDIT:

Just got the plat.  Takes about 3 hours to get the champion trophy, by clearing progress.  You will need to beat the first 10 bosses, all the way up to and including Queen of Scales (bottom left on the page where you pick the story mode boss).  Here are a few more details on top of what Kolbane already mentioned:

Fire in the Deep (kill golem)

Queen of Skulls -> Dark Ritual -> The Lich (kill lich)

Queen of Scales -> Minotaur Maze -> (kill minotaur)

The trophy popped for me, right after I killed the Minotaur.  I never exited the game, just kept playing.  I personally recommend sticking with Queen of Scales level if you have the required cards, and just need to unlock the tokens.  That level has only one curse, that makes success/failure cards shuffle quicker.

Edited by Eternal21

I had trouble getting this trophy as well. Unfortunately I had exited my game after beating the minotaur the first time without really thinking too much about this trophy. After I learned that you can get it by simply killing one of each enemy type without quitting the game (exit to "XMB" or shut the console off etc), I wanted to go for this trophy. Strangely enough, minotaur was the very first of the three hard enemies I actually met, and that pretty shortly after I was going for it too. The two other ones became elusive for me for the longest time. The way I finally met the two other ones was going for Scale of Jack, where I met some of them in the gorge or whatever it's called, a couple of them are forced for this dungeon. Doesn't hurt adding the one in your deck too. Also, you can add some of the other lots of battles or forced battle cards, like the devil cards, and the various battle arenas, and the ambush cards etc. In fact, shortly after I met the two, like after a couple of hours playing, I met a minotaur again shortly after.

Anyways, I can confirm this works. :)

Just a couple of encounters of the dragon quest line, and wearing the armor left for me to get the plat. Not that hard a game if you know how to really take advantage of what you're given, but the RNG can be pretty brutal.

EDIT:

The dragon quest line went pretty quick, but I had terrible RNG when it comes to dragon equipment. I finally got it, and not a second too early.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone confirm if simply pressing the PlayStation button and going back to the main console menu resets progress on this? Is the progress reset when going into rest mode? I'm sure I haven't beaten the Minotaur lately but I also didn't get the 15 success card trophy even though I've been playing for several days without closing the game. I wonder if my grinding was all for nothing :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add my experience and the story of my eventual success with this trophy.  And yes, it is unbelievably frustrating, not just because it resets with any new session (or hard crash, which this game is no stranger to), but also due to the vagueness of the requirements.

I had killed each of the 8 monsters that people tend to claim are required for this trophy.  I had actually killed all of them multiple times, even throwing in some goblins just to make sure.  And still no trophy.  I heard it's possible that environmental deaths or friendly fire kills from other mobs wouldn't count, so I was careful to avoid that, and that's also why I made sure to kill each creature more than once.  Still no trophy.

My only other hypothesis was to test that perhaps, perhaps the trophy requires a kill of EVERY monster, including all of the jacks, queens, and kings.  I imagine anyone who had this trophy pop had probably downed all of those during their pursuit of the elusive liches and minotaurs, thus leading these standard deck bosses to be overlooked as a possible requirement.

So I fired up the dealer level, knowing that the final battle would pit me against all of them, and if the trophy hadn't popped by the end I would know that I should give up, that this game and its trophies are truly boned and not worth the frustration and hassle.

It popped during the second round, the one with the skeleton bosses.

So.  Did the trophy just pop randomly for me, after the game had finally realized I had killed the supposed "8" required enemies?  Perhaps.  Or, if the trophy popped as intended, then the standard deck bosses are also required.

Just wanted to share, in case anyone else was experiencing the same infuriating nonsense that I was for the hours I put into this trophy.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm if simply pressing the PlayStation button and going back to the main console menu resets progress on this? Is the progress reset when going into rest mode? I'm sure I haven't beaten the Minotaur lately but I also didn't get the 15 success card trophy even though I've been playing for several days without closing the game. I wonder if my grinding was all for nothing :)

I can definitively confirm that closing the game resets the progress on certain trophies. Those trophies would be kill one of every type of enemy and killing enemies using traps. The same goes for 15 success cards, but that must also be in one play through a level or infinite mode. You don't get the 15 success by getting success 15 times without closing the game, it must also be done in a single playthrough of a single level. Yup, this is not an easy one. The trick for me was to abuse the river or whatever that card was, that didn't "deactivate" after you had walked on it, and you could walk back onto and do again. You can also abuse the gameplay recording functionality of the PS4, to watch a replay of the cards being swapped around. The best way to do this is to stop and play over and over again very fast. See how the cards are put together into one pile, like which are on top and which below etc, then watch the cards going out from the pile to see where they go. There are blessings, and I think items, that allow you to get a better chance to get success. This is critical, because you can't take a whole lot of punishments.

• 6 months later...

Pretty sure this trophy is quiite/very glitchy, at least for me. Gone through all the required enemies twice now and on this run killed all enemies I can think of without quitting to xmb or crashing or anything like that.

Monsters I've killed with it yet to pop:

Dust

Scales

Skulls

Plague

Mages

Minotaur

White Minotaur

Lich

Lava Golem

Goblin

Kraken

Dealer

All 3 Dust bosses

All 3 Plague bosses

All 3 Skulls bosses

All 3 Scales Bosses

Anyone got any ideas?

Not been over 1 run and I've died a couple of times btw.

Edit: On another note the prone trophy is also glitched, done that at least 3 or 4 times now. Urgh getting tired of shitty glitched trophies lol.

Edited by zajac9999

Alright so I've got the plat now. Contrary to what people above me are saying, I had to get the champion trophy done in one sitting, so I did it on endless. As is widely agreed I only have to kill the 8 'expected' enemies. These are Dust, Plague, Scales, Skulls, Lich, Minotaur, Lava Golem and Mage. Trophy popped as soon as I killed the mage. 

Slayer trophy is definitely glitched imo. I fulfilled the criteria for the trophy at least 15+ times and when going for the reach level 30 in endless mode trophy (same run as I got champion trophy) it popped when I died in a random battle on like floor 36 or something. I'd done 2 prone kills in a row at least 5 times during that run so maybe that's why it unlocked as I died? But I hadn't done 2 prone kills in that battle. Either way in the trophy screenshot I'm in the middle of dying so it definitely didn't unlock as it should.