Extraterrestrials/aliens poll.

GRITTY_PITTY

Intelligent alien life forms.  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe etraterrestrials/aliens exist?

• Yes, it is highly possible.
    • Yes, i am a 100% believer.
    • I am not sure.
    • No, the idea that aliens could be real seems crazy to me.
    • No, but i am open minded to the idea.

Yes, I believe that there's intelligent extraterrestrial life, but because of the vastness of space, the chances of life coming into contact with each other is virtually non-existent. Even if we could come into contact, I believe that we would be so unlike each other that it would be impossible to communicate.

• Like 3

The way that I see it, it's insane to think that earth is the only planet in the whole universe with living organisms

There's got to be other life out there

Plot twist: This topic was also made in an alternate universe

Edited by Aex

It's incredibly unlikely that our planet would have been the only one on which life could emerge. Look up the Drake equation and the Fermi paradox.

However, that's not to say I think aliens have visited our planet or interacted with it in any way thus far. I'm unconvinced by tales of abduction or the Roswell crash site.

I think extra-terrestrials visiting Earth might be the only thing that gets us to put aside our petty differences and start acting like one human race. But that might just be wishful thinking.

• Like 1

I think this question is asked poorly.  There is a huge distinction between 'intelligent' life and just life.  It is virtually guaranteed that life exists out there, but intelligent life is another question.  On top of that, most species live for relatively short periods of times (we have only been around for ~100 000 years, dinosaurs were only around for a few million).  What are the chances that two intelligent lifeforms exist in this universe within the same short window.  On top of that, what are the chances we are both looking into space at the same time. On top of that, with the utter size of the universe, what are the chances that we would ever see each other.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I think it is pretty much a guarantee that life has existed or will exist elsewhere, and it is even likely that intelligent life has or will exist, however, it is very UNLIKELY that we will ever meet or find intelligent life from another planet/solar system/galaxy.  The universe is just too damn big.

• Like 2

Look at the first photo the Hubble telescope ever took:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Hubble_ultra_deep_field.jpg

There's unquestionably other life in the universe; humans and earth aren't special. However, the distance between stars and other habitable, life-hosting planets might prevent us from finding alien life before we become extinct ourselves. 

100% believer here.

The universe is just too vast and strange. I think saying that we are the only intelligent life form in the universe is extremely big headed of us. xD

Edited by -Dark Mark-

Thanks for all the posts guys, some very interesting views we all have. Im very suprised you are all so open minded, its much appreciated.

I think this question is asked poorly.  There is a huge distinction between 'intelligent' life and just life.  It is virtually guaranteed that life exists out there, but intelligent life is another question.  On top of that, most species live for relatively short periods of times (we have only been around for ~100 000 years, dinosaurs were only around for a few million).  What are the chances that two intelligent lifeforms exist in this universe within the same short window.  On top of that, what are the chances we are both looking into space at the same time. On top of that, with the utter size of the universe, what are the chances that we would ever see each other.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I think it is pretty much a guarantee that life has existed or will exist elsewhere, and it is even likely that intelligent life has or will exist, however, it is very UNLIKELY that we will ever meet or find intelligent life from another planet/solar system/galaxy.  The universe is just too damn big.

To be fair, the heading title says intelligent extraterrestrial life :)

I'm not sure tbh, like bee said, this question is worded poorly. I think there is other life forms on other planets or at the very least, there was at some point (Mars). In fact, I'm pretty sure they've found microorganisms on Mars. But intelligent like us (humans) or more advanced? I'm not so sure. If this was the case, why haven't they reached out or why haven't we found them or more importantly, have any indication that they even exist? Too many questions, not enough answers IMO.

So, yes and no! :P

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

I think there is intelligent life out there. I also think they have been visiting our planet for thousands of years. There are just too many strange reports and cover ups for me to think they haven't been here. Unless our governments just really don't want us to know about weather balloons.

• Like 2

With the universe in its infinite expanse it would be silly to say there's no other things out there. I doubt we'll ever meet them unless we're both making a concious effort.

I think there is intelligent life out there.

I dunno sometimes when i talk to people or read the random comments people come out with I wonder if there's intelligent life even here :awesome:

• Like 1

I'm not sure tbh, like bee said, this question is worded poorly. I think there is other life forms on other planets or at the very least, there was at some point (Mars). In fact, I'm pretty sure they've found microorganisms on Mars. But intelligent like us (humans) or more advanced? I'm not so sure. If this was the case, why haven't they reached out or why haven't we found them or more importantly, have any indication that they even exist? Too many questions, not enough answers IMO.

So, yes and no! :P

No, they haven't found any microorganisms on Mars. If they had then it would've been a landmark finding and perhaps the most important discovery in human history. They've found evidence of water, and are holding out for finding methanogens, which would be the best bet for finding microbial life on Mars. 

As for why aliens haven't contacted us... Well, they'd have no reason to. If they're capable of interstellar travel then what could they gain by talking to us? It'd be like talking to an ant about an iPhone.

It's almost a given, considering the age of the universe, and how many galaxies. Now if the question was for on Earth, I'd probably say no, but with some open mindedness. Fun poll nonetheless!

[Edit: I consider most organisms intelligent in one way or another, so that makes the likelihood even higher]

Edited by Dav9834

No, they haven't found any microorganisms on Mars. If they had then it would've been a landmark finding and perhaps the most important discovery in human history. They've found evidence of water, and are holding out for finding methanogens, which would be the best bet for finding microbial life on Mars. 

As for why aliens haven't contacted us... Well, they'd have no reason to. If they're capable of interstellar travel then what could they gain by talking to us? It'd be like talking to an ant about an iPhone.

Sorry, I meant to say I think they said they had some sort of proof that microorganisms could live or have lived on Mars. I'm not sure which. I read about it somewhere...

But like I said, I'm skeptical on intelligent life like us. I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm just not inclined to believe it yet.

When you look at what we are, and the vast variations of life we have on this one planet, I think it would be incredibly short sighted to believe this one rock is the perfect storm to have life flourish here and only here.

i think once we get to the point of genuine spacefaring, we'll have visitors pop down and most likely put us back down in our place - much like we have when we discovered any new culture.

• Like 1