Final Fantasy Game Guides Box Set Ft. VII-VIII-IX

FINAL FANTASY BOX SET

The must-have guide collection for any Final Fantasy fan, with books housed in a collectible slipcase and held closed by a magnetic clasp.

This set includes hardcover guides for Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX, each with a deluxe ribbon bookmark.

Each guide has been redesigned and updated with new content and high resolution screen shots. In addition, the set comes with three iconic game images printed for the first time as high quality lithographs.

Includes three high quality lithograph prints that are secured in a Final Fantasy themed envelope.

61jiiuVHNPL.jpg

Checked Amazon and they have them for $84.69 from the original list price of $129.99

I rather look around the internet if I needed a guide of some sorts for a game, but it looks like a neat item for a collector or fan of the series.

Release Date: July 7, 2015

Source

That FFVII guide was terrible. I'll never forgive it for ruining the most climactic scene in the game for me. The FFVIII guide was fine, except for the fact that its strategy for the final fight boiled down to "Junction stuff and get good equipment". The FFIX guide was basically a barebones walkthrough with lots of prompts for you to log into PlayOnline. If anyone here is thinking of buying this set, don't. Unless the guides themselves have been changed, they're not worth the money. 

Edited by darkamdusias
  • Like 1

The only one of those guides I have is for VII, I've read it so much the things about to fall apart. :P Nowadays I rarely buy strategy guides though, since you can find all the info you need online for free. If I got this it'd be purely for the collectable value in it, I'd be scared to even use the things too much for fear of damaging them.

$85 is a little steep though ($130 is just funny), add in a copy of each game too & I'll buy it for sure! payup-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862514

Also... Curse you Ramonachan! When I first clicked on this, I thought they where finally releasing an HD set of the 3 best FF games on PS4 or something... but it was just books.  crying1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624

Yes, yes, I know the joke doesn't fit that well because it's DVDs, but you know what I mean. hehe-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862507

Edited by Masamune_316

Funny, I don't see IV anywhere mentioned above.

IV, huh? I remember playing it once, but I honestly can't remember if I ever beat it or not, my memory stops around VI (& part of I). :P But I stand by my decision of VII, & IX being in the top 3, I'm not too sure about the 3rd slot though, I'm still thinking on that one... :hmm:

Wow, this is amazing news! I never started FF7 or 9 because of all the overwhelming content and potential missables in the games, but now i have a reason to play them! Can't wait!

Also, if you're wondering i already 100% FF8. I love that game to death.

Did FFVII really have missables? I only remember the special steals from enemies (which weren't really special, but gave you access to items much earlier than you could get them in the game). FFIX was an annoyance (speed run, zodiac stones, etc.), I remember.

IV is good, but VI is better.

THE ABSOLUTE, 100% CORRECT ORDER OF FF GAMES:

VI

IV

IX

VII

XII

V

X

VIII

I

II

X-2

XIII

Lightning Returns

XIII-2

Did FFVII really have missables?

Yeah I've been wondering that for the last few hours, iirc I got most of the Ultimate Weapons and High Level Materia pretty easily on my own, maybe the only time I needed a guide years ago was to get Omni-Slash, Knights of The Round and a strategy for 2 of the Weapon Bosses.

VI

IV

IX

VII

XII

V

X

VIII

I

II

X-2

XIII

Lightning Returns

XIII-2

More like 95%, You forgot III

Its a very personal thing; I just enjoy everything about IV a lot more, especially the Complete ver. on PSP.

Edited by Ramonachan
  • Like 2

I don't care for the guides, but I'd really like those litographs.

Yeah I've been wondering that for the last few hours, iirc I got most of the Ultimate Weapons and High Level Materia pretty easily on my own, maybe the only time I needed a guide years ago was to get Omni-Slash, Knights of The Round and a strategy for 2 of the Weapon Bosses.

Do neither of you even remember the Enemy Skills? A handful of them are missable. Then there's also some of the weapons and equipment you can only get at certain points or with certain mini-games.

You are my hero.  :)

VI

IV

IX

VII

XII

V

X

VIII

I

II

X-2

XIII

Lightning Returns

XIII-2

I actually agree with a lot of this. IV is my favorite FF game (and favorite game ever), but I'm willing to accept the argument that VI is a better overall game. You are also my hero for ranking IX over VII.  :)

Back to the topic of the guides, I just want to second what someone above said about the guide for IX. If its the exact same content as the original guide that came out its not worth getting unless you just want the collection just to have it. The guide directs you to a now defunct PlayOnline.com website for all of the best information. God, that pissed me off royally back in the day.

More like 95%, You forgot III

Hmmm. I did. I actually hate that game (at least its DS reincarnation), but I didn't leave it off on purpose.

I don't care for the guides, but I'd really like those litographs.

Do neither of you even remember the Enemy Skills? A handful of them are missable. Then there's also some of the weapons and equipment you can only get at certain points or with certain mini-games.

I remember enemy skills, but I still can't believe what I'm reading on the FF wiki. I would almost swear that multiple dragon zombies cast Pandora's Box in a single playthrough. I'm literally going to have to break out my old PS1 memory cards and check this out. 

Trine, though, might be missable, and I do remember a couple of other things that are missable (I remember that the turks carry random, crappy armor with no materia slots, and an enemy on a train carries a certain crest), so you're right about that. Also, on the subjects of guides, the best guide I've ever read was a guide for FFVII. The guy who wrote it was completely tongue-in-cheek the whole way, and it really reads well when compared with the fanboys who praise this game to the skies.

I particularly liked when he noted that there is no word in the English language that begins with the letters "a-v-e-r-l" (which is spray-painted on a wall), and goes on to conclude that, probably, the programmers had misspelled "Avalanche" as "Averlanch". Mind you, this was long before the interwebz were so widespread (the guide, which was obviously unofficial, was released simultaneously with the game).

Back to the topic of the guides, I just want to second what someone above said about the guide for IX. If its the exact same content as the original guide that came out its not worth getting unless you just want the collection just to have it. The guide directs you to a now defunct PlayOnline.com website for all of the best information. God, that pissed me off royally back in the day.

LOL! I think that was put in place just for losers like me, who would drop by the bookstore and read the guide without buying it. I hated that PlayOnline so flippin' much...

Its a very personal thing; I just enjoy everything about IV a lot more, especially the Complete ver. on PSP.

Same, IV is my favourite Final Fantasy game and the complete edition on the PSP is my favourite version.

I seen these guides pop up on some game news site a few days ago and I was interested in getting them since I do like to collect hardback strategy guides. I seen the price on Amazon UK, then I thought..... no. 

They must have added a metric SHIT-TON of content to the FF9 guide since the original was basically "So you want to know how to beat this boss? WELP, BETTER GET YOUR ASS TO PLAYONLINE.COM" 

You just reminded me of one of my greatest disappointments involving Final Fantasy. Dial up + playonline.com. I buried that one deep and now I'm really sad and angry and a little lost... I'll need a moment or two.

• Like 2

You just reminded me of one of my greatest disappointments involving Final Fantasy. Dial up + playonline.com. I buried that one deep and now I'm really sad and angry and a little lost... I'll need a moment or two.

I actually had to vent to my buddy after posting in this thread hahaha I don't know what they were thinking when 95% of people in 2000 had dial up (if they even HAD internet) and Square used a high bandwidth site that took forever just to load one thing. And when you think it finally loaded, it would time out. 

• Like 1

I actually had to vent to my buddy after posting in this thread hahaha I don't know what they were thinking when 95% of people in 2000 had dial up (if they even HAD internet) and Square used a high bandwidth site that took forever just to load one thing. And when you think it finally loaded, it would time out. 

There were so many secrets in that game that i didn't find out about until the mid 2000s when GameFAQs started really popping up because of that damned site and how often it would time out! I'm glad I wasn't the only one out there that raged every time I tried to load it. Man, this is turning into self help thread for people traumatized by PlayOnline.com!

• Like 1