Why are online games based on console titles usually exclusive to China?

Remilia Scarlet

While the console ban had been lifted in the late 90s, console gaming is technically still illegal. Despite that Shanghai free trade zone did launch last year opening the gates for video game consoles, although many genres are severely restricted by government legislation. FPS are not allowed

Most people can't afford a PC thus play in internet cafes. China houses a staggering half a billion gamers who all play on pc, makes sense to bring these online FPS to their market

While the console ban had been lifted in the late 90s, console gaming is technically still illegal. Despite that Shanghai free trade zone did launch last year opening the gates for video game consoles, although many genres are severely restricted by government legislation. FPS are not allowed

Most people can't afford a PC thus play in internet cafes. China houses a staggering half a billion gamers who all play on pc, makes sense to bring these online FPS to their market

Holly crap really? Imagine the gaming boom that would happen if people from China could play video games?

Also saddens me that us in Europe and those in other regions can't get Japan's Monster Hunter Frontier or China's Monster Hunter Online, seeing as Monster Hunter is one of my favourite franchises of all time.

You could say that for a lot of games, Tales of the Abys?????????? For example. We from EU always miss out on things. 

That still doesn't explain why they are exclusive to China. 

Last month Battlefield 4 had 120.000 players on consoles

There were only +10k players on pc

Western consumers ignore pc because they're too busy playing consoles on their couch

Battlefield 4 should not have any players at all. Battlefield 4 is a terrible game.

• Like 1

They're pay to win games anyway.

It's disappointing we never see them but honestly they would probably get some harsh criticism for nickel and diming you so aggressively.

This.

They are probably versions of games they know we don't want. So they don't bother.

Last month Battlefield 4 had 120.000 players on consoles

There were only +10k players on pc

Western consumers ignore pc because they're too busy playing consoles on their couch

Not true at all, PC gaming is gradually becoming more popular than console gaming. 

http://bf4stats.com/

PC had a peak player count of 24,127 today, beating PS3, XBox One, 360 by a large margin and only falling behind the PS4 count at 26,842.

If you've been paying attention to recent gaming news, PC's are also beginning to compete with consoles as "couch" gaming machines. They have things like Steam OS, and Big Picture now which offer controller friendly UI and games in a PC gaming environment.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Not true at all, PC gaming is gradually becoming more popular than console gaming. 

http://bf4stats.com/

PC had a peak player count of 24,127 today, beating PS3, XBox One, 360 by a large margin and only falling behind the PS4 count at 26,842.

If you've been paying attention to recent gaming news, PC's are also beginning to compete with consoles as "couch" gaming machines. They have things like Steam OS, and Big Picture now which offer controller friendly UI and games in a PC gaming environment.

Which platform is the most popular for Bf4 is totally beside the point. Fact is less than 30% plays on PC, the rest are playing on consoles.

BF4 may not be as good as its predecessor, I don't think it's a terrible game. Playing with 64 players on a console was pretty cool

Which platform is the most popular for Bf4 is totally beside the point. Fact is less than 30% plays on PC, the rest are playing on consoles.

BF4 may not be as good as its predecessor, I don't think it's a terrible game. Playing with 64 players on a console was pretty cool

More power to you. I personally view the entire Battlefield series as garbage.

So you're combining the total of every other platform vs PC? By that definition less than 30% play PS4 too and that's currently the most successful console. lol

I understand the way you're trying to group them, but these are all separate platforms that share nothing in common architecture wise.

Also I think BF4 is ok, on the PC side of things 64 players was not a big deal because that has been the minimum player count they've offered since the original Battlefield in 2002 but its a solid shooter with good mechanics. I just found her response amusing lol

So you're combining the total of every other platform vs PC? By that definition less than 30% play PS4 too and that's currently the most successful console. lol

I understand the way you're trying to group them, but these are all separate platforms that share nothing in common architecture wise.

Also I think BF4 is ok, on the PC side of things 64 players was not a big deal because that has been the minimum player count they've offered since the original Battlefield in 2002 but its a solid shooter with good mechanics. I just found her response amusing lol

Pffft, my arcade cabinet has 2 shitty peripheral guns that shoot at shit, that's innovation, pc can suck my dust

• Like 1

Well, generally speaking, yes. Although I haven't touched Call of Duty much since Advanced Warfare released. Truthfully speaking, I lean more towards Killzone as my preferred FPS.

How can you judge Battlefield so harshly when you play other similar modern mainstream FPS's that are subject to similar issues?

Because they are free to play - why would a company like,say, Activision, release a free version of Call of Duty in a market where people will pay for a full price version every year - that would be pretty fucking stupid, wouldnt it?

In China they wont pay full price for a version every year, so tis is a way to get some hooks in and make some profit out of that market too.

I don't understand this. First Call of Duty Online and now Borderlands Online. Why do developers make this choice? I mean, both games are American franchises, why make them China-only releases? It makes zero sense to me.

What the hell? there's a....Borderlands MMO?.....can't believe I hadn't heard of this before. 

20% of the entire world's population is Chinese, which is huge. Really huge. For a gaming business it makes sense for them to release games dedicated to the gaming population within that percentage.

As an example - Blizzard entertainment have invested a huge amount of resources into releasing their MMO World of Warcraft in China. They worked for years with the Chinese government and even changed parts of the game itself for it to be released there. If you play WoW on a Chinese client, the Forsaken playable race has it's zombie parts covered up, blood has been censored and when you die you leave behind a little gravestone, rather than a skeleton.

It is a good example of how much value gaming companies put in the Chinese market - making some changes to existing games and releasing exclusives there brings huge amounts of money to the company.

China is a gold mine for MMOs and both games are being published by publishers from Shanghai.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/China-Gaming-Market-Pulls-9-1-Billion-51184.html

This is some what like how some games reach Europe but not the US and vise versa. It doesn't have to do with exclusivity, it's just that no publisher is willing to distribute the game outside of China yet.

E.g.

RFQla8y.png

Edited by GenoStarrz

China is a gold mine for MMOs and both games are being published by publishers from Shanghai.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/China-Gaming-Market-Pulls-9-1-Billion-51184.html

This is some what like how some games reach Europe but not the US and vise versa. It doesn't have to do with exclusivity, it's just that no publisher is willing to distribute the game outside of China yet.

E.g.

RFQla8y.png

This is true - but i would be willing to bet that the deal with Activision or 2k to use the licence for CoD or Borderlands will specifically prohibit its release in thier main markets, as it would be a lose/lose situation for them - if the game is bad it hurts the brand, if its good then it would harm sales of the paid-for sequels

Holly crap really? Imagine the gaming boom that would happen if people from China could play video games?

Yes. China got XBoxOne and PS4 much later than anyone else and both are reduced in their features.

PS4 had six launchtitles (Launched, march2015)

• Knack
  • Dynasty Warriors 8
  • Trials Fusion
  • Rayman Legends
  • King of WuShu
  • Mr. Pumpkin's Adventure

That still doesn't explain why they are exclusive to China. 

Because it's China.

In China, f2p is the only way how to get money from games.

If companies were to try to bring normal retail versions, they would get pirated immediately.

And because it's China, you have to edit your games immensely to get right to sell your games there, so it's easier to just develop something new and put f2p there.

How can you judge Battlefield so harshly when you play other similar modern mainstream FPS's that are subject to similar issues?

Because I hate the way Battlefield controls. The constant and extreme swaying of the player character makes me nauseous. I hate the huge empty maps compared to the smaller and more close quarters maps of Killzone and Call of Duty. The fact that I have to pay to host a server on Battlefield when I can create one for free on Killzone 2. The shitty damage output of weapons on Battlefield. The fact that if you are new to Battlefield then you have almost no hope. The fact that if you aren't as good as the rest of your team that the host is free to kick you at any time, thereby negating all your XP. Battlefield is terrible.