Worst port ever!

This is really awful. I just finished this game on PSV. I have played Jak & Daxter Trilogy on PS2 and I know how it can be attractive and easy to play. But Vita version is awful. Frame Rate is retarded, problems with double jumps, the game doesn't understand input with same speed as in PS2\PS3. So when you protect snacks for example, you can't fire easily with same rate as it was in PS2 or PS3 version. This is why I was able to finish it only in 1 year and 8 months. Just couldn't play it more than 1 hour (while every time I needed about 10-20 mins to adapt to this retarded frame rate).

Play PS3 version. =(

Edited by Just_Amaz1ng
  • Like 1

Never played it on PS2, nor the PS3 remaster. I never had an issues on Vita with Jak 1, but Jak 2 has been nothing but a PITA. Vita controls for Jak 2 are terrible and racing those stupid bikes/cars around is so annoying. I was excited to play the franchise for the first time, but I've stalled on completing 2 so many times, I don't know if I will ever get to 3.

Perhaps I didn't notice frame rate issues because I had nothing to compare it to. I guess I should consider myself lucky, ignorance is bliss.

Look on the bright side - it put you off starting Jak 2 - one of the worst games ever made!

I already hated it on the PS3, doing it again on the vita will be very painful. Even Jak 1 was painful to complete on the vita, but I managed to actually enjoy it on the ps3. I saw a thread like this on the .org forums, it made me regret buying this, but again, I have this ichy to complete collections, so I would need to do those games anyway at some point...

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/jak-and-daxter-the-precursor-legacy-hd/214349-jak-daxter-collection-ps-vita-bugs-issues.html

Good thing is:

On the Vita port, you can select secrets even though the game just started you and you have no precursor orbs. Also, the vibration option is still there. You can select major secrets, like unlimited ammo, invinciblity, and unlimited dark jak!

Edited by TheYuriG

Good thing is:

On the Vita port, you can select secrets even though the game just started you and you have no precursor orbs. Also, the vibration option is still there. You can select major secrets, like unlimited ammo, invinciblity, and unlimited dark jak!

Oh wow! I will absolutely now be taking advantage of those glitches just to finish Jak II. 

if you hated this one so much don't bother with 2 and 3 on the vita. they're even worse ports

Unfortunately, I started all 3 titles on vita 2 years ago even before I got knowledge about trophies. =( And I'm completionist so I'll play these 2 games too.

I'm playing this currently while I do coursework as it's a nice play in chunks game I can do in between paragraphs. I played it on Vita originally on a different account (alt-James) and I thought it was fine back then, but since playing it on my PS3 and going back for a second run on Vita I have noticed the framerate issues and lag on controls on the Vita version.

Even with that it's still an immensely fun game, one of my favourites! It's still playable! Espcially if you're patient and don't mind having to redo certain bits (like the protect snacks part)

I'm so glad Naughty Dog gave it an HD remake.

It's not Naughty Dog, other studious did port. Worst part was Spider Cave. It's so retarded when you need to jump much and do rolls with planks.

Good thing is: On the Vita port, you can select secrets even though the game just started you and you have no precursor orbs. Also, the vibration option is still there. You can select major secrets, like unlimited ammo, invinciblity, and unlimited dark jak!

Can you give some info how to do that, I'll use it in my walkthrough.

Perhaps I didn't notice frame rate issues because I had nothing to compare it to. I guess I should consider myself lucky, ignorance is bliss.

Just open walkthrough on youtube on PS3 and boot the game on Vita. Even with Youtube quality you'll see a difference.

• Like 1

I'm playing this currently while I do coursework as it's a nice play in chunks game I can do in between paragraphs. I played it on Vita originally on a different account (alt-James) and I thought it was fine back then, but since playing it on my PS3 and going back for a second run on Vita I have noticed the framerate issues and lag on controls on the Vita version.

Even with that it's still an immensely fun game, one of my favourites! It's still playable! Espcially if you're patient and don't mind having to redo certain bits (like the protect snacks part)

I'm so glad Naughty Dog gave it an HD remake, because I never got to play it on PS2 :(

I had Ty. And I'm still waiting on an HD trilogy of THAT, Krome Studios! ;)

Krome Studios is irrelevant. After Blade Kitten everything else they have developed is just mediocre crap.

Can you give some info how to do that, I'll use it in my walkthrough.

Just open walkthrough on youtube on PS3 and boot the game on Vita. Even with Youtube quality you'll see a difference.

In Jak II, just open the Menu in-game, go to Secrets, scroll down to the ??????????? lines and hit X. You'll hear a tone and it'll be activated. I just tested Invincible and Unlimited Dark Jak and both worked, I only have 18 precursor orbs.

Since I finished Jak I already and I'm part way through II, I'm gonna keep living in ignorance. If I compare it to a youtube video or see it on PS3, I'm probably just gonna get angry and never want to finish. 

• Like 1

I only got frame issues on the 2nd and 3rd game but that was only on the races.

This issues not happens during some scenes only. I mean the problem isn't framerate dropping down sometimes. It's just stable low framerate in Jak I. 100% time you play with 15-25 FPS. It's not even 30.

This kind of BS pisses me off, this is a game that Sony has direct control of the quality over. The port sucks because it was outsourced to a cheap 3rd party studio that doesn't have enough experience to deliver a decent game.

Sony saves a few bucks and in turn gives Vita owners the finger.

They also ruined Resistance Burning Skies, Ratchet and Clank FFA, Call of Duty Blackops declassified, ect.

They moved all their great PSP devs to focus on PS4 and left Vita for dead. 

People have gone out of their way to tell me that the vita version sin't worth playing. A shame, really. I've heard the PS3 version is solid.

It's framerate is jarring, but I got used to it quickly. After that I had tons of, if not the same, level of fun on PS3. Hell, I platinumed it on the VITA too. It does improve in 2 & 3. But I don't really feel like going back to either. But in the future, I'll platinum them both.

I didn't have that much framerate issues. Only issue I had was Jak II's bombs in the eco wells. The jumping has a half second delay so I had to re-find the sweet spot to jump at the top of the jump.

It took me a couple hours of experimenting playing both the PS2 and VIta versions at same time - Which is how I found the jump delay on the Vita.

What is quite annoying is any touchscreen enabled sections - required for trophies, eg:

Jak 1 - Fishing, Snacks

Jak 2 - Gunpod / Destroy Ship at Drill Platform

Jak 3 - Defend Spargus

... the normal movement controls from the sticks - what you would use on the PS2/3 - are incredibly slow, so I feel forced to use the touchscreen to keep up. Unfortunately the camera doesn't move with your finger on the touchscreen like it does with the left stick in PS2/3 versions so I end up with my hands in an odd position trying to move the camera  and navigate on the screen at the same time so I can see where to shoot, etc.

Almost thought I'd miss out on Jak II's plat due to the darn drill platform mission, but eventually got through it.

The snacks in Jak 1 were a bit hard to get used to, but after a while I realized the yellow eco has a bit of tracking, so a dead-on aim isn't necessary. Took several tries but finally made it through.

Why they had to mess up the normal stick controls when adding the touchscreen stuff is beyond me.

This kind of BS pisses me off, this is a game that Sony has direct control of the quality over. The port sucks because it was outsourced to a cheap 3rd party studio that doesn't have enough experience to deliver a decent game.

It was outsourced to the same team that ported all 3 Jak & Daxter games to the PS3 actually. I can't complain about your first sentence though. Sony could've said this game was not ready. but they were so concerned in boosting the Vita's library that they threw the quality aside.

It was outsourced to the same team that ported all 3 Jak & Daxter games to the PS3 actually. I can't complain about your first sentence though. Sony could've said this game was not ready. but they were so concerned in boosting the Vita's library that they threw the quality aside.

Hm, that's odd. I wonder what went on behind the scenes there, the PS3 version did have some very minor performance issues where it would dip under 60 (unnoticeable to most). Maybe the weaker hardware amplified their optimization issues, but that doesn't explain why it can't match the visuals and framerate of at least the PS2 version.

Outsourcing and quality assurance is definitely still an issue though. Ratchet and clank FFA, a game I was extremely excited for was released 6 months later by an unknown studio looking like this 

http://imgur.com/a/fKoZd

Not even the icon bubble is in the correct aspect ratio in the live screen. Id be ok with the sloppy visuals if the game managed over 20FPS the majority of the time :/

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Hm, that's odd. I wonder what went on behind the scenes there, the PS3 version did have some very minor performance issues where it would dip under 60 (unnoticeable to most). Maybe the weaker hardware amplified their optimization issues, but that doesn't explain why it can't match the visuals and framerate of at least the PS2 version.

Outsourcing and quality assurance is definitely still an issue though. Ratchet and clank FFA, a game I was extremely excited for was released 6 months later by an unknown studio looking like this 

http://imgur.com/a/fKoZd

Not even the icon bubble is in the correct aspect ratio in the live screen. Id be ok with the sloppy visuals if the game managed over 20FPS the majority of the time :/

Oh hey man I thought you'd left I hadn't seen you in a while. Completely agree though absolutely no clue why this was optimised so badly, it seems weirder when you see that sly 1-4 and R and C all run smoother and they honestly look more complex than J and D 1. I think this is one of the only games that had a low enough frame rate to make me feel  a litttle nauseous if i played it too long.

Oh hey man I thought you'd left I hadn't seen you in a while. Completely agree though absolutely no clue why this was optimised so badly, it seems weirder when you see that sly 1-4 and R and C all run smoother and they honestly look more complex than J and D 1. I think this is one of the only games that had a low enough frame rate to make me feel  a litttle nauseous if i played it too long.

Hey xD

I got busy cause of school, didn't have much time to come here or for games but I'm back now.

I believe that Sly 1-4 were made by Sanzaru games on Vita and they were also the original developer for Sly 4 so they did a great job.

What I want to know is why they never used studios like Bend or High Impact Games, who are responsible for many of Sony's best handheld titles Bend made Uncharted and then sat around for the next two years until they were moved to PS4 and High Impact Games hasn't even touched the Vita :/