Selling on ebay/amazon worth it ?

Tomoko Kuroki

I'm not really sure how the selling works on either site yet, I'm looking into it right now. I was wondering as a casual seller if it would be worth it or not with all the fee's they ask you. You have to pay to post your item even if it doesn't sell, and you pay another 10% if it sells, not sure if there's any additional fee's.

It sounds interesting but I don't have any knowledge in selling things online, though I'm reading about it right now, was curious to know anyone's experience with either of these sites as a seller.

eBay I would say is recommended. Don't sell on Amazon though, they hold back your money.

I used to sell on there and every time it takes 2 weeks - 1 month for me to receive my money, once the buyer pays it goes into Amazon's account and they don't transfer it to you for ages for no good reason. The only way to decrease this time is to upgrade to a Business account which of course costs money.

However eBay give you your funds immediately, so I recommend them.

• Like 1

Ebay gives you 20 free listings per month depending on the category, certain ones are excluded from that but you can see the list here - http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#free

The fees for ebay once something has sold are 10% plus paypal takes 2.9% and $0.30 per transaction. There are no fees if it doesn't sell unless you've selected some options to boost visibility of the item like listing in 2 categories, having larger images on the search page (called Gallery Plus, sometimes it's free and sometimes it isn't. It's $1.00 per listing when they charge for it and it's usually checked by default so keep an eye out for that one). Amazon's fees are higher plus they determine the shipping charge regardless of how much it might actually cost to ship something. For instance, I believe it's games and DVDs that they have a $3.99 max shipping charge for, even if it costs you more than that you're only getting $3.99. With ebay you can put in the shipping method and the weight, for example, USPS Priority Mail and a weight of 2 pounds, and the amount charged will be determined per USPS pricing, which for all methods except First Class, Medial Mail, flat rate packages, varies depending on how far it's going, i.e. the farther the package goes the higher it's going to cost. Edit: I know you're in Canada so that's going to change the shipping a bit but still used USPS as an example show some of the differences between ebay and Amazon.

Ebay/paypal will hold the funds for a certain time period (about 3 weeks) for new accounts but the package being delivered reduces that time as well as the buyer leaving you feedback.

Edited by ScutumMagister
  • Like 2

I don't recommend selling on Amazon, it's more for a business selling, plus they are more strict than Ebay, you can only really stick to a few categories of items with them.

I recommend eBay and I recommend waiting until they have one of their free listing weekends, they sometimes do these so you won't have to pay anything to put the item up.. although selling on either is difficult at first since you'll not exactly have any feedback for customers to look at to see if you are legit at first and it's how many decide on if you are going to be who they buy from.  I myself won't buy from anyone on eBay who doesn't have enough feedback and proof that they are legit and not selling pirated stuff.  As for postage, include that in your price but do free shipping, free shipping always edges people toward your items, some don't even realize they are still paying for it.

I've had experience selling on both as part of a business, so Amazon I can't really say, eBay from trying to sell stuff myself on it, I've found it rather difficult to do.

• Like 1

eBay I would say is recommended. Don't sell on Amazon though, they hold back your money.

I used to sell on there and every time it takes 2 weeks - 1 month for me to receive my money, once the buyer pays it goes into Amazon's account and they don't transfer it to you for ages for no good reason. The only way to decrease this time is to upgrade to a Business account which of course costs money.

However eBay give you your funds immediately, so I recommend them.

There's a really good reason for it actually. They hold the money so that if anything goes wrong, they can refund the money to the buyer quickly and easily. For example, if someone is trying to scam someone else, by saying they're selling a rare game like .hack//GU Redemption, but then send Rebirth instead, the buyer can get their money back quickly. If it was transferred automatically, and someone were to do something like that, it would create a large number of issues, and it would end up coming out of Amazon's pocket. Which then scammers could go there and make lots of money by listing false items. Which is something that happens on ebay all the time.

Anyway, on topic.

Amazon is a safer and faster way to sell, but it costs more and can take a while to get paid. Ebay is a bit shadier and it's generally harder to sell your item, but you get paid faster once it does sell. But personally, I've had issues with false claims on ebay multiple times. People claiming they got the wrong item or never received it when they actually did. While I've never had any issues with Amazon.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

There's a really good reason for it actually. They hold the money so that if anything goes wrong, they can refund the money to the buyer quickly and easily. For example, if someone is trying to scam someone else, by saying they're selling a rare game like .hack//GU Redemption, but then sending Rebirth instead, then the buyer can get their money back quickly. If it was transferred automatically, and someone were to do something like that, it would create a large number of issues, and it would end up coming out of Amazon's pocket. Which then scammers could go there and make lots of money by listing false items. Which is something that happens on ebay all the time.

Really? Fair enough, when I ranted about it to customer service they didn't tell me any of that o.o I'd still prefer to receive my money faster though

• Like 1

Really? Fair enough, when I ranted about it to customer service they didn't tell me any of that o.o I'd still prefer to receive my money faster though

Yeah, people working Customer Service are generally people who are making minimum wage and given no real training, and have no idea how things work. They're very rarely a good source of information beyond things that you could easily look up yourself. They're really only good for filing claims.

I definitely agree that it would be nice to receive the money faster, but as a buyer, I'm glad they do it the way they do. Unlike ebay where I've been screwed over a few times by false listings, and ended up having to wait over a month each time to get my money back. While the one time something bad happened on Amazon (item got lost in the mail), I got my refund within a week.

• Like 1

Amazon is a lot better IMO. The amount of dodgy buyers and sellers on ebay makes it a pain in the ass.  Also keep in mind to get the best prices on ebay you need to put things up for auction and that can be a huge gamble.

With amazon you set the price and they tell you in advance how much you'll get. You can keep your listing up permenantly on it.

To each their own though.

• Like 1

Amazon is a lot better IMO. The amount of dodgy buyers and sellers on ebay makes it a pain in the ass.  Also keep in mind to get the best prices on ebay you need to put things up for auction and that can be a huge gamble.

With amazon you set the price and they tell you in advance how much you'll get. You can keep your listing up permenantly on it.

To each their own though.

You can keep the listing up permanently on ebay too, create a listing, select "Good 'til Canceled" for the duration and there you go.

As far as dodgy buyers go, I think it depends on what you're selling too and how you word it. To be honest, I don't think it's so much dodgy buyers (though there are those too of course) as it is more just idiotic buyers, people who don't read or ask really stupid questions, like will these fake ears fit me (seriously, this is an actual question I've had). I mean how the hell would I know what size your ears are? lol. My dad and I have been selling on ebay for a few years now and have never had any problems but you have to learn what to do, how to anticipate the stupid and make sure your listing covers everything and actually provide good pictures. Even then you'll still encounter bad buyers, though like I said, in most cases it's just that they're idiots and not that they're actually trying to screw you.

Amazon is far from bulletproof either given unless you're selling it through Amazon where they actually handle it (fulfilled by Amazon, which has extra charges and fees), then it's absolutely no different than buying or selling on ebay. With both you're trusting, and hoping, that they're not trying to screw you or misrepresenting the item to sell it.

Both have their pros and cons

Everyone commenting about dodgy buyers.. You're safe if you make sure your description, title and picture is exactly correct.  You know, the guy who purchased an empty Xbox One box or a picture of a Xbox One? Since the seller had that all in the title/description, the buyer was therefore warned, so it was kind of out of eBay and Paypal's hands to do anything about it.  The buyer was stupid enough to buy before reading or made sure he understood the listing fully.

Although, saying this, we had a buyer, not sure if it was off eBay or Amazon, he had purchased a model and apparently it was the wrong size, we looked at the listing and told him he must have misread as that was the item he had ordered.  He ended up winning the dispute he put up with either one of the companies and never bothered to send the item back.  We were willing to accept the return and give him a full refund.. he just wasn't happy he had to pay for shipping since it was not us at fault and it wasn't a faulty item.  So yea, just be warned, you can end up with terrible customers who buy before they read or rush buy or something.

To prevent the issue that people might try and say they haven't received the item yet, add tracking to the item if it's really that valuable, that way you could prove to the company that it did arrive and that the customer is trying to screw you over.

Amazon customer service is scripted, plus they might not even be aware that stuff goes on.

Everyone commenting about dodgy buyers.. You're safe if you make sure your description, title and picture is exactly correct.  You know, the guy who purchased an empty Xbox One box or a picture of a Xbox One? Since the seller had that all in the title/description, the buyer was therefore warned, so it was kind of out of eBay and Paypal's hands to do anything about it.  The buyer was stupid enough to buy before reading or made sure he understood the listing fully.

Although, saying this, we had a buyer, not sure if it was off eBay or Amazon, he had purchased a model and apparently it was the wrong size, we looked at the listing and told him he must have misread as that was the item he had ordered.  He ended up winning the dispute he put up with either one of the companies and never bothered to send the item back.  We were willing to accept the return and give him a full refund.. he just wasn't happy he had to pay for shipping since it was not us at fault and it wasn't a faulty item.  So yea, just be warned, you can end up with terrible customers who buy before they read or rush buy or something.

To prevent the issue that people might try and say they haven't received the item yet, add tracking to the item if it's really that valuable, that way you could prove to the company that it did arrive and that the customer is trying to screw you over.

Amazon customer service is scripted, plus they might not even be aware that stuff goes on.

Disputes always get decided in buyers favour, it sometimes is a bit unfair. You end up paying off the customer just to shut them up so you don't end up with negative feedback. Some people take advantage of this and report false claims which results in unhappy sellers having to cough up money. However if you cover all your bases carefully there is not too much that can go wrong.