Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remilia Scarlet

Allow us to see who favorited our guides, please?

18 posts in this topic

As someone who has written a handful of guides, i would love to see this happen! 

As someone who has written a handful of guides, i would love to see this happen! 

Right? Like, I don't even know why this isn't a thing yet. It's so simple. 

Right? Like, I don't even know why this isn't a thing yet. It's so simple. 

While there's been tons of guides written for the site, its still a reletively new thing so i guess its a simple oversight. Either that or Sly dun goofed!

While there's been tons of guides written for the site, its still a reletively new thing so i guess its a simple oversight. Either that or Sly dun goofed!

Sly done goofed!

I agree with ExHaseo. I have 7 guides published, with over 200 likes across them. No way would I want or really care to know who favorites them. I just assume most people (like myself) favorite a guide to have quicker access to it, when you want to use it.

Another con to that idea is how would you contact them. There are a lot of members on this site that only use basic functions of tracking their PSN's trophies, the trophy guides and the gaming sessions. There are a lot of people who use a combination of those three and very rarely (or don't) visit the forums. In one of my more recent guides, two members that played the game and were in the comment section of the guide; helping me point flaws or adding tips to certain trophies in the guide. Both of them didn't have forum profiles. They were part of the "gamers tracked" number on the home page, but not a part of the "members" number on the home page.

The only way you could contact certain people who favorited the guide would be to send them a message through PSN and some people might refer to that as stalking and might give you shit or even try to report you.

The idea of seeing who favorited or rated you guide is cool, but if you want to thank people and have them see the message to: Sly might have to implement an uneccesary message feature to each PSN Card profile.

As a guide user, I only favorite them to have easy access to them. I remove favorite as soon as I won't use the guide (stars are used for saying what I think of a guide)

As a guide user, I only favorite them to have easy access to them. I remove favorite as soon as I won't use the guide (stars are used for saying what I think of a guide)

Yeah, me too.

With the difference that I very often forget to rate. It's something that I never remember to do on any site with a 'review' function  :(

How do you delete a post?

Use the report button under your post and ask a mod to delete it

Anyway even though I didn't wrote a guide(yet  :D ),it would be cool for guide creators to see who favourited a guide.Notifications would be an optional decision (it would be annoying for someone who wrote popular guides),but simply as a list near the guide or something like that.

Edited by MarcusTheShadow

As someone who has written a few guides, I don't like the sound of this.

Sure, it'd be interesting to see who favorited my guides, but I wouldn't go through and thank them all. I wouldn't have the time, and I don't constantly check my guides, so I wouldn't know when someone new favorited it, and I certainly wouldn't want notifications for it. And if being thanked for a favorite is something that most guide makers end up doing, the people who don't will just end up looking like jerks. Which could possibly lead some of the more butthurt people to go back and give the guide a bad rating, or possibly lead to messages from these kinds of people complaining that we didn't thank them. Obviously not everyone would act this way, but this is the internet, where butthurt abounds for the dumbest reasons.

Also, when someone favorites a guide, there's a very good chance they couldn't care less who made the guide, and aren't favoriting it to support you. They are just favoriting it because they are playing/want to play the game. More importantly than that, people shouldn't be favoriting (or rating) guides to support a guide maker. They should be favoriting (or rating) because it's a guide they're interested in, or was helpful to them.

I'll also present my default argument for this kind of thing. There are a lot of people (myself included) who wouldn't want to be getting messages when they favorite a guide. It would be annoying, and just clutter their inbox. Considering there's only a certain number of messages allowed, it'd possibly become an issue where they could miss out on real messages, because of people messaging them just for favoriting their guide pushed them to the max number of messages. 

As a fellow guide writer I completely support this.

when you get a like on Facebook do you write a thank you note to the person that gave you the like?

Yup, imo this analogy fits perfectly.

If this get introduces I'd probably stop adding guides as favorite and just keep a bookmark of the ones I will use.

.The only way you could contact certain people who favorited the guide would be to send them a message through PSN and some people might refer to that as stalking and might give you shit or even try to report you.

Wow people call everything stalking these days. I mean my best friend, this guy I'd never seen or spoken to thought it was weird when i showed up on his doorstep, called him 50 times through the night and was caught with night vision goggles outside his window. I mean you really can't do anything these days without being labelled a "stalker", its like just a buzz word and will soon pass. On the plus side trying to get around the restraining order without detection has made me much better at MGS and Splinter Cell.

If this get introduces I'd probably stop adding guides as favorite and just keep a bookmark of the ones I will use.

This. The whole point of the internet is anonymity, people love that most people don't want to be told thank you for just looking at something.

If you want to thank people for using your guide just say thank you at the end of the guide.

Agree with Haseo. 

If you want to thank people for favoriting your guide, why not try adding "Please comment if you liked this guide, I would like to personally thank you for that" to the beginning of the guide.

It's not a feature everyone would find helpful.

Wow people call everything stalking these days. I mean my best friend, this guy I'd never seen or spoken to thought it was weird when i showed up on his doorstep, called him 50 times through the night and was caught with night vision goggles outside his window. I mean you really can't do anything these days without being labelled a "stalker", its like just a buzz word and will soon pass. On the plus side trying to get around the restraining order without detection has made me much better at MGS and Splinter Cell.

Well I'm sorry if you think I would find it stalking. This is PSN. There's a very strong chance you don't know the person you're contacting and many things can happen.

I think most of my point still stands though: it'd be a drag to reach out to every person to say thank you.

Well I'm sorry if you think I would find it stalking. This is PSN. There's a very strong chance you don't know the person you're contacting and many things can happen.

I think most of my point still stands though: it'd be a drag to reach out to every person to say thank you.

Dude I thought it was clear I was joking. My second point pretty much agrees with what you're saying.