Demons Souls Beginner Tips

Hello there, good people of PSNProfiles! I've just picked up Demons souls as I really wanted to play it but never had time before.. But I've also heard of its infamous difficulty, so rather than diving in head first does anyone have any tips for beginners? Obviously not tactics for bosses etc, as I'd rather work those out myself, more understanding of the world. I keep reading about world tendancies, for example, yet know nothing of what it is/does. So to anyone that's played this, any tips? (Without spoilers)

Take your time, a lot of people run in first time swords flying thinking it's God of War, don't do that, if you do, you're gonna have a bad time.

Take it slow, lure out an enemy towards you and take him out and move onto the next one.

Apply your souls to attributes that will suit your play style, if you want to be agile level up your skill and stamina (I can't remember the exact names) but I've heard of many people not knowing where they are applying their souls and end up starting over because they built a tank or something and didn't want to play that way.

Expect to die a lot too, many people struggle early on and not bother finishing the game which is a shame, half the fun of the game is struggling, learning the enemies moves, and defeating them, and when you get past a section or boss you found tough, it feels pretty good. A lot more can be said but that's the main points I would give to beginners, just have fun, it's a great game :)

Oh and here is a helpful page on world tendencies: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Edited by Slipknot_rooney
  • Like 1

I'd recommend not making yourself too heavy as it will slow your dodge roll making it harder to use.  The second piece of advice whatever your load is planned at don't go changing it all the time, if you do your dodge speed will change and this can be a complete disaster as it will change your dodging techinique in combat, I think dodge roll is determined by percentage load. So changing your endurance will effect this.

Sorry its been ages since I last played this so I forgot how all the stat stuff works.

If you're planning on platting this in minimal time you might to look up world tendency, it forced me to do more playthroughs as I didn't know about it going in.

world tendencies are hard to explain but its to do with dying in human form (spirit form is fine) commiting suicide in the nexus as human does nothing to world tendancies (i tend to do this and play the whole game in spirit form)  depending on your class (melee) after you kill the first boss demon in the castle id reccomend going to the shrine of storms and obtaining a weapon called crescent falchion +1 this weapon is pretty powerful early on works wonders in stonefang tunnel (it however guarded buy a powerful enemy who will most likely one shot you best bets to run like crazy and hope you can grab it before he kills you

Rushing in will cause you to always die. Playing cautiously and you'll only die most of the time. Dying and trying again are core components of the gameplay. If one thing doesn't work, try another approach.

Armor is pretty much useless and even the weakest enemy can kill you in a few hits. Go for light armor and mobility so you can dodge a lot.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

Play offline if you're going for the plat. World tendencies are a pain to control as it is.

Definitely don't rush. Levels are actually quite short - people make them longer because they get killed often. Moreover, often you can open shortcuts in levels (this is important, e.g., in the swamp of 5-2).

However, don't be afraid to beat a hasty retreat (always rehashing territory you've already covered). Enemies have a limited follow range. You can cheap pretty much every enemy in the game, although this is really boring.

Going against the grain, dodging is pretty overrated here  (at least in single player). It looks cool, but it's an easy way to die. Invest in a good shield instead (the Purple Flame Shield, e.g., can be found very early on). 

Going against the grain, dodging is pretty overrated here  (at least in single player). It looks cool, but it's an easy way to die. Invest in a good shield instead (the Purple Flame Shield, e.g., can be found very early on). 

Actually dodging gives you a slight invincibility frame for a split second, when used at the right time it's a life saver. But yeah I definitely second getting a good shield.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

Spend the first 10-15 minutes every time you meet a new enemy learning to parry and dodge their attacks. If you learn these skills you'll have a much better time of it. Usually the first time you meet an enemy you'll get just one, take the time to learn then before you walk into a small room with 3 of whatever it is.

Jump around levels. Finish 1-1, go to the hub, go to 2-1 or 3-1, just bounce around because some of the areas/enemies are way tougher. I probably spent 4 hrs banging my head against 1-2 before I tried this.

Like others said about tendency if you're going for plat, it can be a pain. So just get the ring that let's you keep 70% hp in soul form and commit suicide in the hub before leaving to adventure. It'll save you time later. It'll also keep you from getting invaded. Each time you die in human form the world gets darker(harder).

Play it safe and slow. Lure enemies out one by one to make it much easier. Make sure you plan out the character build you want EARLY. You don't want to be wasting souls on pointless attributes. I went for a blueblood sword build, buffed my magic and attack power! 

"First lesson: Stick them with the pointy end."

I hear talk occasionally about them wanting to close the servers for this game, are the servers required to plat this?

Nope. Only if you want pvp or someone to give you all the weapons.

Edit: Keeping your shield up is really good advice and I've seen a lot of people pointing that out. One thing that I'd like to add is that your stamina recharges faster with your shield down. Sometimes it can be benificial to let you shield down for a quick recharge during battle. It'll take a little practice to know when and when not to though.

Edited by Rowdi

"First lesson: Stick them with the pointy end."

I hear talk occasionally about them wanting to close the servers for this game, are the servers required to plat this?

What if I used a club for a weapon? :awesome:

Nope, online isn't required for the plat. The same applies to Dark Souls I and II.

Take your time, a lot of people run in first time swords flying thinking it's God of War, don't do that, if you do, you're gonna have a bad time.

Take it slow, lure out an enemy towards you and take him out and move onto the next one.

Apply your souls to attributes that will suit your play style, if you want to be agile level up your skill and stamina (I can't remember the exact names) but I've heard of many people not knowing where they are applying their souls and end up starting over because they built a tank or something and didn't want to play that way.

Expect to die a lot too, many people struggle early on and not bother finishing the game which is a shame, half the fun of the game is struggling, learning the enemies moves, and defeating them, and when you get past a section or boss you found tough, it feels pretty good. A lot more can be said but that's the main points I would give to beginners, just have fun, it's a great game :)

Oh and here is a helpful page on world tendencies: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

I had to laugh at the end of your first sentence.. I read it in the voice of the Ski Instructor in South Park. I think I'll try for an agile character as moving about a lot appears to help. Great tips though guys that I shall take with me on my journey through Demons Souls.

I had to laugh at the end of your first sentence.. I read it in the voice of the Ski Instructor in South Park. I think I'll try for an agile character as moving about a lot appears to help. Great tips though guys that I shall take with me on my journey through Demons Souls.

Good, I was hoping someone would get the reference xD

What if I used a club for a weapon? :awesome:

Nope, online isn't required for the plat. The same applies to Dark Souls I and II.

Online IS required for Dark Souls II. You have to kill 30 invaders as a member of the Bell Keepers covenant to collect all the Sorcery spells and 30 Sunlight Medals are needed to max out your rank in the Warriors of the Sunlight covenant to collect all the Miracles spells and you really can only get those medals by helping other players kill bosses in co-op.

Unless that's all changed in Scholars of the First Sin.

Online IS required for Dark Souls II. You have to kill 30 invaders as a member of the Bell Keepers covenant to collect all the Sorcery spells and 30 Sunlight Medals are needed to max out your rank in the Warriors of the Sunlight covenant to collect all the Miracles spells and you really can only get those medals by helping other players kill bosses in co-op.

You don't need to be online for either of those. for example, you can farm sunlight medals in that poison place. It's faster to play online, though. I don't remember anything being tied to the bell covenant, but even if it was, you don't need to beat human invaders (I know, because I didn't beat a one).

Online is never required to plat a Souls game. You can farm NPC black and red phantoms and farm Sunlight Medals from enemies. One of the patches removes the limited respawns so you can farm enemies over and over without making them extinct.

You don't need to be online for either of those. for example, you can farm sunlight medals in that poison place. It's faster to play online, though. I don't remember anything being tied to the bell covenant, but even if it was, you don't need to beat human invaders (I know, because I didn't beat a one).

See quote above for the Bell covenant.

Online is never required to plat a Souls game. You can farm NPC black and red phantoms and farm Sunlight Medals from enemies. One of the patches removes the limited respawns so you can farm enemies over and over without making them extinct.

See quote above for the Bell covenant.

Okay I have a question then. How do you get the 30 wins for Bell Keepers for Hidden Body? (or was it Hidden Weapon? Can't remember) with NPCs then?

And sources, links, any proof that the limited respawns were patched?

Okay I have a question then. How do you get the 30 wins for Bell Keepers for Hidden Body? (or was it Hidden Weapon? Can't remember) with NPCs then?

Bell Covenant: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/357-DARK-SOULS-II-Trophy-Guide#Clangorous-Covenant

Patch: entering Champion Covenant will allow infinite respawns http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/15/7551225/dark-souls-2-patch-110-scholar-first-sin-release-date

LOL. I remember the Bell Covenant now. At leadt that phantom dropped cool armor.

As an aside, even if limited respawns weren't patched, you could always just burn bonfire ascetics.

Huh. Didn't know that about that Black Phantom invader respawning and that change with the Champion Covenant.

I take it these things are true in Scholars too?