How would you feel if PSN were split into multiple services?

How much would this bother you?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple services within PSN?

• Wow, this is the worst thing I've ever heard.
    • Who cares, as long as I can play my games.
    • Call me crazy, but I'd actually enjoy this.

Kind of an odd question... let me explain.

If there's one thing I can't stand about gaming on PC, it's the fact that my gaming library spans probably 12 different online services.  I own Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam, but Mass Effect 3 on Origin.  I own The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 3 on GOG, but The Witcher 2 on Steam.  I have Watch_Dogs and Rayman Legends on uPlay.  I own GTA V on Steam, but have friends that only own it on Rockstar Social Club.  I like to play Diablo III with friends, but it's  only on Blizzards' Battle Net.

You get my point.

Let's say hypothetically PSN were split into multiple services, like the PC essentially is.  Games you buy, physical or digital, are activated and played on different publisher managed services within the Playstation Network (if you want access to online profile features like trophies, friends lists, etc).  Each one you're required to set up an account for separately, so they could potentially have different usernames/ID's... you'd have to maintain friends lists individually on each one... some may offer up trophies, some may not... though for those that do, there would be no way to see all of them in one place.  Some services may offer features like party chat, and others might not.

How much would something like this bother you, if at all?

Note: I'm not suggesting this idea.  I HATE that the PC works like this.  I'm just curious if the console gamers would feel the same way. xD

It would be terrible if a single system did this with their games.

Wouldn't this system be the same as having to buy a Sony console, Microsoft console, Nintendo console, or any other console? The games are virtually the same on each of the different platforms (with the exception of Nintendo) but they don't usually connect with each other.

Wouldn't this system be the same as having to buy a Sony console, Microsoft console, Nintendo console, or any other console? The games are virtually the same on each of the different platforms (with the exception of Nintendo) but they don't usually connect with each other.

Well, it wouldn't be exactly the same as the hypothetical scenario I created because this would require you to buy several very expensive consoles... whereas the OP would only have you buying a PS4 (or PS3 I suppose) once and creating several free accounts in a few different places to access certain features with all of your games.

Not unlike owning a PC (a single system) and having your games split between several free services.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I'd do the same thing I do on PC, and just stick to one service. On PC, I just buy stuff on Steam, and DRM free stuff. Then I'll add shortcuts to the DRM free stuff to Steam, so that it's all consolidated.

Edited by ExHaseo

Note: I'm not suggesting this idea.  I HATE that the PC works like this.  I'm just curious if the console gamers would feel the same way. xD

This is one of the reasons why Im prefering a PlayStation. :P

And then, I want to play Cities:Skyline but I NEED Steam for it... fuck you game! -.-

How would I feel? Really f-ing irritated, it would be likely to discourage me from buying so many games, and after a while I'd probably get sick of it altogether and drop it for a console where I didn't have to do that, except for the specific exclusives.

I normally just stick with "steam".

But no need to worry, PSN will always be the only purchase method on PS.

The thing is, Valve takes 30% of each sale of a game on it's platform, so for game publishers like EA (Origin) and CD Projekt (GOG), it makes more sense for them to open their own stores, as to take that money to themselves.

Well I mostly just buy old games for my pc and all the cool indies that the pc has that consoles don't, which I get from GOG and steam. Consoles already do this by the way except physically rather digitally, gamestop and other private businesses that license the rights to sell the games so that both parties can make a profit is exactly what you detailed with all the companies you listed for the Pc  

Edited by coldkillaaaaaaaa

Consoles already do this by the way except physically rather digitally, gamestop and other private businesses that license the rights to sell the games so that both parties can make a profit is exactly what you detailed with all the companies you listed for the Pc  

No where in the OP did I mention licensing or "who makes a profit", that's irrelevant in this hypothetical scenario.  Regardless of where you buy a PS4 game, and regardless of who developed or published it, it shows up on your one unified Playstation Network account.  Which is what doesn't happen on PC, and I was curious of the importance of it to console gamers.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

No where in the OP did I mention licensing or "who makes a profit", that's irrelevant in this hypothetical scenario.  Regardless of where you buy a PS4 game, and regardless of who developed or published it, it shows up on your one unified Playstation Network account.  Which is what doesn't happen on PC, and I was curious of the importance of it to console gamers.

Oh, you were simply talking as a central hub to store selected games and operate them, I thought you were talking about distributing them, clarification would've helped, anyways that wouldn't make sense for the consoles, neither would they have platforms to support it