Opinions about this game

SotC is good but like every great masterpiece there are flaws. First the time attacks are hard but on hard mode it's hell itself with the 3rd and 15th colossus plus Wander being a living rag doll. Second the fruits and lizards are a chore. Third the credits freeze if you don't press the PS button on every colossus remains. Not sure if I would play the remake once I get the PS5 but this spiritual successor/prequel to Ico is good.

• 1 year later...

Just came back to the PS3 version today to get the Platinum (covid backlog!). The PS4 version is better. Never played the PS2 version.

It's a great game. great music, great atmosphere.

PS3 Plat a lot harder than the PS4 Plat that's for sure!!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What I loved about this game so much was the fact that it didn't just feel like another game that I experienced for the story or other aspects. This game feels like a piece of art and when I play it I feel a sense of something deeper about the game that isn't so readily available for someone who's just looking to play a game will experience. It almost feels like a thought provoking experience to play this game because of how well the atmosphere and music makes you feel while you play it. It's a very relaxing game to play through and it is one that I hope to get for the PS3 sooner or later because games like these are more about for appreciating than looking for a story driven experience although on that note I will say it was a great experience I had playing it on the PS4 and I thought it had a very enjoyable gameplay loop.

• 3 months later...

I’ve learned to love this game.

I always found the concept interesting. Nothing but boss fights in an empty open world. But after my first playthrough on normal, I lost interest. The controls were a little annoying, in my opinion back then.

9 - 10 years later I came back to the game and challenged myself to get the Platinum (first on the PS3 to increase my completion rate a bit).

Now that I have both Platinums (PS3 and PS4) I love this game. It is a fantastic masterpiece. Truely unique. Some of the colossi have fantastic mechanics (Gaius, Phalanx). Some are easier than others but I like that it is a good balance. Believe me when I say: I cursed a lot during my first playthrough and the Hard Time Attacks. At times I was desperate but that is part of the journey.

Shadow of the Colossus is genius in my opinion. And don’t forget, this game was released on the PS2 initally. The tanky controls are part of the challenge. Once I got how to treat the colossi, it was a dance.

During my later playthroughs - I believe I have played through the game at least 12 times - the way to the colossi were a bit boring but the world is designed well. I appreciate the Time Attacks because the way to the colossi is cut, it is just the challenge.

The PS4 version is the best experience. It looks amazing and the controls are less annoying. If you haven’t started your journey on PS3, I recommend starting with the PS4 version.