How do you prefer your game: physical or downloaded? Original packaging or slips?

Remilia Scarlet

I prefer a physical copy so I can put it with all my other games and feel like I really own the game. And I don't have to download the game first before playing it. Most of the time the box art is nice too. There's also the issue with limit free space and limit amount of times you're allowed to download a digital game you've bought. I believe Sony changed it to 2 times, because people apparently game share so much that Sony was forced to reduce it from 5 to 2.

It seems you have misunderstood Sony. They haven't limited the amount of times you can download a game. It's infinite. They did however make it so that you could only download to 2 active PS3's/vitas instead of 5 because of game sharing. 

I used to say physical but those games need a lot of space. I'm starting to limit my physical collection. Only the games I truely liked or that have a special place stay forever.

On PSVita my collection is mainly digital. I can imagine my PS4 collection will also head into that direction.

I prefer physical copies for multiple reasons:

They give you the actual sense of owning something and 

you can borrow it to or from a friend.

I love AC games, but I'm not going to pay every year for a new game.

Luckily for me: others do :P

Edited by Mr_Freaker

I personally prefer physical games for many reasons. I like collecting games whether they are new or used and putting them in alphabetical order on my shelves. It's a nice view in my room in my opinion. Also, I think some people will agree with me on this, that new plastic smell when opening a sealed game is to die for. :P

I do buy digital games though as well, mostly the one's that are digital only or are on sale on the PS Store.

• Like 1

It seems you have misunderstood Sony. They haven't limited the amount of times you can download a game. It's infinite. They did however make it so that you could only download to 2 active PS3's/vitas instead of 5 because of game sharing. 

Really? That's a relief.

I personally prefer physical games for many reasons. I like collecting games whether they are new or used and putting them in alphabetical order on my shelves. It's a nice view in my room in my opinion. Also, I think some people will agree with me on this, that new plastic smell when opening a sealed game is to die for. :P

I do buy digital games though as well, mostly the one's that are digital only or are on sale on the PS Store.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Knowing I can sell a game for a bit of money helps too. 

• Like 1

Physical. Also goes well with my principle of finishing game before moving. So switching discs is never an issue for me.

Games are more visible if they are on shelf rather than in download list.

And digital is pain to download, I wanna play immediately xD

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

PS3 and 360- Physical, as I am also a collector. Like others, of course I'll buy digital if that's the only way a game is released. if I have a digital copy of a game, and find a physical copy...I'll buy the physical and delete the digital.

With my XB1 though, I'll buy digital. the disc drive is such a POS my discs sometimes need to be loaded 10-15 times before the system recognizes it.

With my XB1 though, I'll buy digital. the disc drive is such a POS my discs sometimes need to be loaded 10-15 times before the system recognizes it.

Might just be your system, never have that problem with any of my disc based XB1 games and I've hardly seen anyone else have a problem like that either.

Edited by ScutumMagister

physical is best, i only goes to digital for the following..

1- games that no longer available on discs.

2- games that only released Digitally.

3- classics.

4- hard to find games that got a digital release.

5- because digital games is a lot cheaper than physicals, also it's a lot easier to get... and also physical is very expensive in where i live, especially COD, RPG's, Racing games and foot ball games.

it felt awesome to see your games lined up on a shelve in an alphabet order, and you can trade/let your friends borrow them which you can't do this on digital..... 

I always prefer physical, I actually waited for Wolfenstein : The Old Blood to be released physically before I got it. However I will buy digital if it makes sense such as the free games on PS Plus or if the game in question is an insanely good price in a sale or I have not much choice in the matter (such as Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, which I digitally pre-ordered the order day). 

Edited by SirDave1988

Mostly physical, but now I'm liking both.

I go digital when...

... it's from PS Plus

... it's a game where you need two player online boosting (if my local library has a second copy, I go physical). I have two PS3s for selfboosting. :P

... the game is cheaper (which mostly is thanks to flash sales)

... I don't own a physical version of a franchise to "complete" my collection on my shelf. XP

Yup I'm more minority with digital. But I respect the physical buyers, there are great points to bring up when buying physical over digital, but one is the strongest imo.

If you're hdd fails, and the PSN no longer lets you download it(lets say 10 years from now). That would be a huge problem. But knowing rippers/hackers they'll get those back and break through the console fast if that happens. I've always wondered if I made a complete Image of the HDD if that would work.... I should test that out one day when I'm bored.

Edited by Dav9834

Like others, I like physical. I don't like being a licensee (or, in some cases, sublicensee). I prefer to own my products in perpetuity, with full rights.

I don't mind digital in the same cases as others ("free" on PS+, cheap in a sale), but I still own my original ps1 games (stupidly, I sold my SNES games during my poor college days). That remains great to me.

• Like 1

I need the physical copy to feel that I own the game. Sometimes I even buy games I have previously downloaded for the single reason of holding the games in my hands. It sounds kind of silly, but that's the way I am. + I like to appreciate all the work that went into making the box art.

That's not silly to me at all. With regards to art, album art was awesome back in the day. Digital has all but killed that. Also, the special editions often with art books. You know what used to be an art book? The instruction manual.

#oldmanyellsatcloud

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha true true.

Anyway I prefer physical official boxed cases for my games. I have a big ol' shelf that I keep my precious games in. Some are not even opened (mostly collector's editions). I do have a case where I can slip the discs into a little sleeve if I'm gonna be on the move though. I only get downloaded titles if they are only available digitally or if it's not available in my region. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...