Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
imakillerwomble

PS3 & XBOX 360 is dead

118 posts in this topic

Ubisoft should be prohibited to publish games on any platform.

You just won this thread xD

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Doesn't really bother me, i'm still on PS3 but i'm at the point where I can purchase all the best-games for very little and play-through some great titles one-after-another. PS4 really doesn't have too much to offer still. 

I'll be playing my ps3 for quite some time. 

It's not like Ubisoft ditching 7th generation means the console'll be dead. The PS2 had new games as late as 2013 (very few games, but still). It's just a sign that the majority of the gaming community is gonna migrate to the 8th generation somewhere between now and the end of 2016.

As for me, I intend to get a PS4 by the end of the year (for Ultimate Ninja Storm 4). However, plenty of games will still have a PS3 version until then, and that's the version I intend to get. They'll be cheaper and have free online, not to mention cross-generation games are around 98% the same, so...

I'll start buying the PS4 versions when they're the only ones available.

Edited by jrdemr

"X system is dead" is a completely overused phrase that shouldn't exist. Just because systems have less development or have ceased development completely doesn't mean it's killed the system.

People will play their NESs. Development for that thing is long gone. I'd say development for last gen is winding down though as probably the biggest supporters (Ubisofr with AC and Activision with CoD) have ditched the last gen for the current gen consoles. People still have backlogs. All this thread reminded me was that I need to play Dishonored. lol

Honestly I will be sticking with the PS3 til 2017, still have about 50-60 games to play and the library of games is a lot better then the ps4 library of games right now. Until the PS4 stop releasing HD remakes of PS3 games, I will be sticking to the 7 gen. So to answer the question, 7th gen is still alive and kicking, contrary to popular belief of everyone thinking the ps3 is dead.

Edited by RKuzu5

Timing wise, it seems about the same as when PlayStation 2 was dropped in favour of the new vogue.

Splitting development between generations will always hamper the potential and never truly give the best a game can get.  When you look at a technical marvel like The Order: 1886 and compare it to The Last of Us: Remastered, they're leagues apart although both are argued to be best in class.

Ubisoft are the first to brave it, I'm hoping others follow suit.  I'm looking forward to what they can do with Syndicate.  The character models look similar to what they were in previous games, but I'm trusting Victorian London will be as glorious as it can be with its gruesome underbelly.

Fingers crossed for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde type character caused by a piece of Eden.

I'm using my PS3 right now. It's very much alive and I'm still backlogged like 100+ games I swear.

Exactly. And when I clear up that glut, I'll move to PS4...and buy all these exclusives for a fraction of the cost.

Not that I don't appreciate the fans who buy Day 1. You allow me to game on the cheap, so give yourselves a hand!

I support this move, 8th gen really needs some more games.

In the mean time, i'll just be working on my backlog. :P

Seeing the drivel UBI has released the last few years and the issues they have had with their piracy systems, I'm not sure which will die first ...

Edited by Memnoch

About time they stop developing for the older systems and concentrate on the newer ones.

I like playing on my PS3 and will keep doing so for at least another 3 years, but sometimes, when playing a next gen game, it's just noticeable when the game is PS4 only (Driveclub, Bloodborne, The Witcher) or if it's cross-gen (Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, Watch Dogs) and feels more like a remaster than a new AAA game.

Don't go off killing my console, I still have few hundreds of games I haven't played... must... finish... back log...

"X system is dead" is a completely overused phrase that shouldn't exist. 

Though people will keep saying it about Vita-chan.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

If you're still playing games on it, then it isn't dead. I have lots of games that were PS exclusives or that I simply didn't get round to last gen that I still want to play on it. My backlog on there is probably the largest of the 3 PS consoles.

Although I doubt that the PS3 will have the same volume of games developed for it as the PS2 did after the PS3 came out. That darned cell processor is much harder to develop games for, especially for the smaller dev teams who might be tempted to bring their games to the PS3 now that the PS4 is out.

Ps3 already has a huge library while the library of the ps4 is slowly coming out and consists of ps3 remasterd games. If you're going to call a console dead I would argue that it's the ps4, currently.

Edited by DDrag00n

There is still HEAPS of people playing the ps3 including me, there is no way ps3 should be classified as dead. Ps3 still has a couple of years left till most players move on to next gen.

Though people will keep saying it about Vita-chan.

If you type "Vita has" in google they suggest "Vita has no games" - BUT - if you type "PS3 has" or "PS4 has" you also get "no games" as first suggestion. So if you believe internets, PlayStation platforms have no games and they are all dead.

Meanwhile I struggle to have time to play all my PS3 and Vita games, so, yeah.  :D

Edited by theJJ88

Although I doubt that the PS3 will have the same volume of games developed for it as the PS2 did after the PS3 came out. That darned cell processor is much harder to develop games for, especially for the smaller dev teams who might be tempted to bring their games to the PS3 now that the PS4 is out.

Yeah. The PS3's launch price was definitely a bad thing on its first few years, but the processor was definitely Sony's biggest misstep in the 7th generation. That's probably a major reason why developers want people to switch over to 8th generation as fast as possible - to cut down on production time and costs.

Yeah. The PS3's launch price was definitely a bad thing on its first few years, but the processor was definitely Sony's biggest misstep in the 7th generation. That's probably a major reason why developers want people to switch over to 8th generation as fast as possible - to cut down on production time and costs.

It was a huge price. I think they were trying to "out power" the 360, but couldn't do it cheaply enough. The fact that PS3 sold as strongly as it did may have something to do with 360's own failings - the red ring of death primarily - but I don't have any market data or anything, that's just a suspicion.

When big publishers like Activision and EA stop making PS3 games, yes, the old gen might be dying, they are probably the only ones who can afford developing for both generations. Either way, my PS3 has at least 3 years of life, there are dozens of games I'm planning to buy/play, even so I plan on buying a PS4 next year (Persona 5 sold it), I'll still play my PS3.

My PS3 will never die; just like my other consoles (PS2/N64) will not. Additionally, I have a considerably large backlog on my PS3, along with some titles I have yet to purchase.

Ex. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

However, I will not purchase any PS3/PS4 cross-buy games for the PS3 in the future. Solely because the games are downgraded from their PS4 counterparts.

It was a huge price. I think they were trying to "out power" the 360, but couldn't do it cheaply enough. The fact that PS3 sold as strongly as it did may have something to do with 360's own failings - the red ring of death primarily - but I don't have any market data or anything, that's just a suspicion.

The Red Ring of Death and the X360's other failures certainly may have helped, but I think it had more to do with the price drop and the vast number of solid exclusives the PS3 got after its first few years. The X360 and PS3 versions also started looking more and more alike after programmers started getting the hang of coding for the PS3. It just got off to a bad start.