Cheaters, Hiding Trophies, Leaderboards

Hmm, before this topic goes more astray I do have a question.

I'm under the impression that PSNProfiles do not know what games are hidden on a profile, they just do a simple calculation by taking how many trophies Sony says a user has and how many trophies they counted. Any difference and a hidden label is slapped on a profile with the extra. Thus, with the current suggestion, couldn't a user hide their game they cheated on before they got flagged for it and stay on the clean leaderboards? Although I'm unsure whether this kind of loophole would have positive or negative reactions, it should be considered that the users targeted by the suggested system could get out of it by pre-hiding suspicious games, thus creating a lee-way that PSNProfiles uses now :P

I'm under the impression that PSNProfiles do not know what games are hidden on a profile, they just do a simple calculation by taking how many trophies Sony says a user has and how many trophies they counted. Any difference and a hidden label is slapped on a profile with the extra. Thus, with the current suggestion, couldn't a user hide their game they cheated on before they got flagged for it and stay on the clean leaderboards? Although I'm unsure whether this kind of loophole would have positive or negative reactions, it should be considered that the users targeted by the suggested system could get out of it by pre-hiding suspicious games, thus creating a lee-way that PSNProfiles uses now :P

yes, afaik you can't really know which games are hidden... so calculating the visible trophies against the total trophies (as you explained) is most likely the only way.

the only exception would be hiding the games after they've been 'seen' by PSNP. since you can't completely remove trophies from your list, they will stay there and PSNP could keep them in their database with a 'hidden' flag. perhaps this is actually done this way, i don't know. i guess i would do it that way if i had to plan a service like PSNP ;)

of course someone could hide a hacked game before that, but why hack it in the first place then? would be a waste of time and "effort" in my opinion.

i guess most hackers just do as they please and wait if someone notices it and calls them out... and then they hide the game in question. basically let others do the work for you and as long as no one notices your hacked games, you can stay in the leaderboards.

• Like 2

Hmm, before this topic goes more astray I do have a question.

Yup.

Thats why banning any and all Trophy-Hiders from the leaderboards is the only possible solution - anyone who hid them for other reasons will simply unhide them if they want to be on the leaderboards, and cheaters have no way to get back on the boards.

Its not that unusual - other leaderboard sites do this - any hidden trohies and you are removed. No questions, no debate, nice and clean.

Of course it doesnt stop the 'best' hackers if they are 'good' enough to manufacture thier timestamps appropriately, but it does mean that the average hacker using downloaded saves etc. will be removed permanently once caught.

• Like 2

I thought hidden games don't influence your rank on the leaderboards, so even if they cheated but hidden the trophies their rank won't improve over it. 

that's true, they don't count.

basically another problem i have with the hiding feature (besides that they're not really hidden, because then we wouldn't have this conversation): it falsifies your PSN level, since PSNP does its own calculation of level progress.

in my opinion having another level on PSNP than i _really_ have is just wrong. another reason i recently unhid all my hidden games ;)

Do you mean your level will be lower since you have less trophies or it shows your level with the hidden trophies included?

If you have hidden trophies, your PSNP level will be lower than your (real) PSN level, since PSNP doesn't count the hidden trophies.

While this is basically "correct" in terms of having a clean leaderboard, it still somehow feels wrong to me that my level is different depending on "who you're asking". but then again, this is a self-inflicted problem, because you hid your trophies in the first place ;)

This sounds more like an issue on sony end than this site. Why would your psn level matter, when you use a different ranking system for the leaderboard on this site.

yes, in my opinion this is absolutely an issue on sonys side, as i also mentioned earlier in this thread! 

if i hide a game, it should completely disappear from my profile and also effect my official PSN rank. so basically sony should handle it like PSNP already does.

this would make this whole issue and conversation moot ofc, because you wouldn't be able to see if someone has hidden any trophies anymore, which would be bad for catching cheaters... so, i don't know really.

perhaps it would've been best if sony never introduced the possibility to hide games...

I still don't see the benefit cheaters have of hidding games. Your rank on the leaderboard doesn't increase, people look more critical towards your trophy list so trying to cheat again is pointless + if its your third time you get banned. The only benefit there is is that your psn rank goes up but nobody here cares because we have our own ranking system. I dislike cheaters just like everyone else here, but this is honestly not about cheaters anymore but more about people's elitism and trying to get a leg up on the leaderboard. There are dozens of reasons why people would rather hide their trophies(0%, perhaps embarrassed of the game and doesn't want any of their friends to see it, servers are dead ect.) and not all of them are cheaters. 

No sympathy from me - it should be one strike and out. Trophy hacks don't stop, they just get smarter. Sony should start co-op with this site to swing the ban hammer at the most obvious cheaters lol.

Those who get flagged by false accuses can always defend themselves - and you gotta admit that most of the time flags have hit the right targets. All the chain reaction posts I have seen - "I didn't do this" "well you did this too" "and this" "and here's another one" etc.  :)

• Like 2

Sorry but no. I don't let that kind of peer pressure to get to me. I'm not really competing against anyone so i don't need to follow strict rules like that. My only goal actually is just to be in Finland's top 100 and stay there. I actually would already be there but i don't like the idea that all the games i hated or just left unfinished for reason or another should be lowering the completion percentage. 

I have the legitimate way to make a choice and cut games from my list so why should i be considered a cheater just because i'm doing so? I don't see why games i didn't care for at all should count. I have had enough over the years for forcing myself play those shitty games just for the sake of trophies. Thanks to the option of hiding games i don't have to anymore. 

I don't want to think twice before putting games to my console just to have "legitimate list" like some people do. If i play a game and i finish it and don't feel like getting more trophies out of it because it's shitty then i keep the game hidden. 

Anyways,anyways. What i'm getting at is that i have my way of approaching trophies and others have their way of approaching trophies. Just because you don't like how i do thing doesn't mean that people should labeled me as cheater and  be treated  with suspicion.

You can say that you have less respect for me of having distorted the numbers but could as easily mock you guys for raising your trophy levels with utter shit. I can have more respect for people with trophy level 20 than person with trophy level 40 if the 20 level person doesn't have Hannah Montana and every other kids game on their list.

So yeah.....you probably know where i want you to shove your opinion :D

Just a little advice. Create new user on your playstation. Try out games there first. If after one hour you don't want to play it anymore it will not affect your main account. I think that's better solution if you care about your completion percentage.

• Like 1

Just a little advice. Create new user on your playstation. Try out games there first. If after one hour you don't want to play it anymore it will not affect your main account. I think that's better solution if you care about your completion percentage.

When you are doing thing's like that you have already went overboard. Besides doing that means you have to replay up to the point where you left your test run. 

Which most of the time would mean that you had to go through boring tutorials twice so no thanks. Besides there's plenty of games where you will still be wondering even after several hours whether you should still keep playing.

I doubt that people who actually do this sort of thing really enjoy gaming anymore. I really don' think it's healthy to take it to that level.

I'm gamer first and trophy hunting is secondary thing. I do like the trophy system but it makes me sad when it becomes the level of obsession that you don't want to play on other platforms anymore because of them. At one point i kinda had that problem but now i don't mind if PS2 JRPG takes so much of my time that i won't get a single trophy in a week.

Lot of people cant do that anymore and they are missing out so much because of it.

When you are doing thing's like that you have already went overboard. Besides doing that means you have to replay up to the point where you left your test run. 

Which most of the time would mean that you had to go through boring tutorials twice so no thanks. Besides there's plenty of games where you will still be wondering even after several hours whether you should still keep playing.

I doubt that people who actually do this sort of thing really enjoy gaming anymore. I really don' think it's healthy to take it to that level.

I'm gamer first and trophy hunting is secondary thing. I do like the trophy system but it makes me sad when it becomes the level of obsession that you don't want to play on other platforms anymore because of them. At one point i kinda had that problem but now i don't mind if PS2 JRPG takes so much of my time that i won't get a single trophy in a week.

Lot of people cant do that anymore and they are missing out so much because of it.

xD This is actually not reply to your comment. This is translation from Trolling to English so everybody else could understand what you said. 

Only I am the real gamer and trophy hunter and only I know the right way to play.

Everybody should follow me and kiss the ground I walk on cause that's the only way to truly understand what gaming is about. I wasn't always perfect, but I am now.

Lot of people will never be great as me, but that's their loss

• Like 3

xD This is actually not reply to your comment. This is translation from Trolling to English so everybody else could understand what you said. 

Only I am the real gamer and trophy hunter and only I know the right way to play.

Everybody should follow me and kiss the ground I walk on cause that's the only way to truly understand what gaming is about. I wasn't always perfect, but I am now.

You can apply this to alot of posts here, even your own.

Edited by DDrag00n

I still don't see the benefit cheaters have of hidding games. Your rank on the leaderboard doesn't increase, people look more critical towards your trophy list so trying to cheat again is pointless + if its your third time you get banned.

They don't. As I said already, some cheaters keep hiding their flagged games for more, than 3 times.

Damn they are doing something right as I boosted with a guy on here and I looked at his profile on psn from last week to this week and he got 400 platinums. Thats insane thank god they removed him from the leaderboards off of here maybe even banned his account ( I hope ).

Edited by Kubanga

Yeah, not even remotely funny

• Like 1