How did Anyone Beat Amygdala in the Chalice Dungeon?

GaryHyphenJon

I've been at this for about 2 hours now and am having some trouble getting past Amygdala in the Chalice Dungeon.  I'm level 127 and use a +10 Saw Cleaver, but I just can't seem to make any headway especially when it gets to the third stage and just jumps on me.

Does anyone have any help/tips they can offer?  It would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

I also used Saw Clever +10 to beat her (it was also my main weapon the entire game), I didn't even had a upgraded Ludwig at this point but you can actually kill her just fine with it. She basically got three phases and acts pretty much like the normal Amygdala that you had already beaten.

Before you start make sure to bring all your QS bullets (+5 too) and the Empty Phantasm Shell, Stamina regen works great too. She's weak against Arcana so remember to always buff your weapon before attacking. Fire/Bolt works too but eventually it will get expensive if you are going for multiple attempts.

First Phase: Most people will tell you to go for her legs despite the abysmal damage, not even buffing with arcane will make a difference to be honest. It didn't work for me since my build wasn't focused on strength, and Defiled Chalice halves your total HP so one single foot stomp would kill me. I personally prefer taunting her to attack in front of me with her arms, just stay away but not too far and wait for her to bow, when she does you can rush right into her head and deliver 1-2 attacks and make some real damage before she prepares for the next attack, at this point you should evade/roll for safety and keep repeating the process.

Second Phase: It starts about at 60% HP, she will get more aggressive, changing some of her moves and adds an AOE blasts on her smash moves. Do the same thing as suggested on first phase, just take extra care for the AOE range, I got caught several times from it but it didn't killed me so I could safely escape, heal and rebuff my weapon. If you were on her legs on the first phase forget it now, she will bow many times from her smash attacks so going for her head it's recommended, you might even pull a visceral attack at this point.

Third Phase: About ~35% HP she will rip her arm out adding insane range, luring her for frontal attacks is out of question. While she rips her arm off, rush in and stay close to her legs. The good part about this phase is depending of where you are, as long it's underneath her, she will simply jump away from you. When she does, don't run or move at all or else she will stomp you, also stay away from walls of the arena or else she will just drop onto you. At the very moment she lands, you will be on her right/left side and also near her legs. You can go for it and spam that  :r1: button if you want, but I would rather search for her back arm and attack it, doing much more damage and possibly stunning her again. If you mess up and she starts the smash combo time yourself and roll under her head, at this phase her head will be there for a much longer time, more than enough to finish her off.

Edited by Ryoudji

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've spent two weeks with the beast and one day with  Amygdala:). Simply till last phase kept it in front of me at stairs, as there it's head right at your lever all the time, and range of Ludwig sword is enough to make 3 fast or one charged attack. At the last stage, only thing to know is don't move when it jumps, and it never hit.

I tried with the saw cleaver probably 9-10 times and got owned everytime..... I was so comfortable with it and used it the whole game. But for this fight I switched over to the threaded cane, whip style, and took it down 2nd try. Don't know how it'd be possible with anything else..... but watchdogs of the Old lords, my lord. 20 attempts at least

Edited by entonces55

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I finally beat defiled Amygdala by staying at the tip of his tail the entire fight. Made for a very long fight but I never could survive phase three using any other strategy. During the first two phases you have to watch out for for an attack where he slashes behind him and his leg stomps. When you get to phase three he can no longer do the slashing attack so the fight becomes a bit simpler, though he seems to jump a lot more in phase three. When he jumps, just stay still and you should be fine. Immediately after he lands run back to his tail and continue chipping away at his health. If you're unlucky, you might get killed by one of his jumps, but that seems to be a rare occurence.

I used a Saw Cleaver +10 boosted with the Empty Phantasm Shell.

Whatever you do, don't summon an NPC for the fight, doing so makes the fight a lot harder as Amygdala's attacks become impossible to predict.

Edited by Janire1911

Dude... i died on that fight more than all other deaths added together... funny how different players/playstyles/builds/weapons have those few bosses that are unexpectedly hard for them, whereas others are much easier than the vocal majority make them out to be (ie the boss just before this one for me - beat him on my second attempt). Good luck!

You can summon the Old hunters and have them distract it for you, having a co-op partner wouldn't hurt. If you have someone distracting it, then flank it and hit it in the rear. If you are playing solo, then just do the classic RPG approach.

1. Enter attack range

2. Exit attack range before boss hits you

3. Move in before boss can recover from its own attack and hit its closest hand/head

4. Exit attack range

5. Repeat

Works on most RPG bosses sad to say.

Edited by schicic

I finished defiled chalice yesterday and here's the story. 

First boss was just spamming R1 with Rakuyo till stamina goes out, backing out, repeat. 

Watchdog was horrible, whenever I got near him to land some shots he did that charging attack which was always one shot. I eventually ended up using strategy of staying close in front of him and L2-ing him with long range weapon (Burial blade in that case) and it still took me about 20 tries. 

Amygdala. Back to Rakuyo. I kept fair distance, strafing to the left. Whenever she uses any attack that leaves you a window, go and smack her arms 2-3 times. Being patient is the key, even if you miss (and I missed a lot probably cause of locking on her) still back out and wait for another opportunity. It was easy to bring her down to around 25% hp without using even 1 blood vial. Main problem was that last phase when she rips her arms out. Her range is awful, hitboxes are gigantic and I somehow always ended up hitting arms she uses as a weapon which did no damage at all. So I'm thinking 25% hp isn't that much of a deal, I'll stick around her legs and tail and go for a safe bet. Bolt paper boosted that pitiful damage a little bit. Everytime she jumped I stood still and few times she landed in a specific way, I was able to get some hits to the head, if not I ran right to the tail section. She was dead after 3rd try. 

I play offline, never bothered with cooping or summoning npcs to boss fights. 

There was 1 hard boss in Bloodborne for me and I mean Hard with capital "h". Fuck you Orphan! 

Dealt with her the same way I did with the original Amygdala until the final phase where I swapped for Simon's bowblade and kept my distance and nailed her from a distance. Either always on the move or being ready to move in an instant. Fight could take how long it wanted, I was not about to die from being over-eager

See the description of the video for guide.

Jump to 10:15 for the difficult part of the boss. Basically, stand still when it jumps, as it's programmed to not land on you if you stand still. Once it's rips it's arms off, you can safely stand behind it and hit it's tail.

Edited by MMDE

You can totally cheese her by running through her legs as soon as you get an opening, go just past her tail and she'll always jump and her face will be just in front of you. Do an overhead swing with any weapon that can (I used Ludwig's Holy Blade two-handed L2) and hit her as she lands, then casually jog back to just past her tail, and repeat. She barely does any other moves if you time it right, and you get some free viscerals every now and then. 

If you have decent stamina and don't mind putting slightly more effort into this baby strategy, you can keep running past her tail then turn around and used a charge attack on her face. But you need to get your timing right or she'll land on you, or alternatively even if you hit her you might not make it back to past her tail again after. The overhead swing is safer, but takes longer.

I don't normally advocate cheesing things, especially in a game like this, but she's just annoying to fight properly. I kept getting her down to a sliver of health trying to fight her face-to-face (dodging her swings then running in for a few hits), then I got overexcited and died several times.

Also:

On 30/05/2018 at 2:05 AM, schicic said:

You can summon the Old hunters and have them distract it for you, having a co-op partner wouldn't hurt. If you have someone distracting it, then flank it and hit it in the rear.

I don't think this works so well for Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice, she's much easier to control solo. Otherwise if she jumps you don't know where she'll land and it can one-shot you. That's the case however you fight her really, whether you cheese or do it properly, her jumps are less predictable and can kill you if there's an Old Hunter with you.

Does work for almost every other boss though.

A co-op partner would probably help though, as long as you don't stand too close together or one of you will get hit with the jump.

The classic RPG strategy does work though, that's what I was doing originally before I discovered you could just cheese it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...