Need For Speed Will Require An Online Connection

Azaan60

I'll wait for more news to arise, I guess their moving forward with their digital utopia. 

This is absolutely ridiculous! What idiots, can't you see we don't want this forced upon us? Not being able to pause Rivals was the most retarded thing I've encountered in a video game. Completely idiotic. 

They mess up bad, I couldn't believe I paid £50 ($39) for that piece of.....

• 4 months later...

Best to avoid these kind of games for a few weeks pick ip up cheaper later. Always online usually results in a crap week 1-4 experience after release. P.S: I hate playing multiplayer anyway so online is just a pain in the butt for me.

Edited by malistix

Well... I'm not even surprised.

That's what got me wondering... if EA announced this game to be online-only, there's no way they can take the servers down because as you said, the game would be absolutely unplayable, which would mean that EA cannot offer what we paid for. It wouldn't be the same as taking down the servers where MP is only part of the game.

You just won this thread :DDDDDD

You are wrong. EA can kill any game's online services with just a 30 day announcement of it.

Actually, there are many games that are online only based and the servers got shutdown.

The most known example on the PS3 is SOCOM CONFRONTATION, which is an online-only game and SONY shutdown its servers. The game is fully unplayable and the worst thing is that i've found that game recently in many retail shops (GAME) despite the fact that the game is useless now.

Beware that from now to 10 or 15 years, this NFS game will be unplayable as well.

I'll wait for more news to arise, I guess their moving forward with their digital utopia. 

They mess up bad, I couldn't believe I paid £50 ($39) for that piece of.....

Hey, £50 are about $77 (USD)

The most known example on the PS3 is SOCOM CONFRONTATION, which is an online-only game and SONY shutdown its servers. The game is fully unplayable and the worst thing is that i've found that game recently in many retail shops (GAME) despite the fact that the game is useless now.

The same is true of MAG. They sell it for like £3 or something in Game, it's a coaster, nothing more. I caught a guy in there not long back saying to his mate that it looked good, I had to butt in and tell him that the game doesn't work any more.

And I was in Game to point out games I wanted for Christmas, before you ask - I wasn't paying their extortionate prices!

Almost everyone here hating and im here like. I just want to play this game. I honestly don't really care about online only but the only thing that bothers me are if the servers are going down hope it will still be playable because this might be one of the best NFS games.

I personally don't mind this being online only, games ain't all about trophies for me, i prefer the online aspect.

The problem isn't so much the trophies, it's the fact that you won't be able to play the game, even on single player, if:

A - You have a bad connection or don't even have your console connected to the Internet

B - If the servers are down or overloaded

C - The servers eventually get shut down (in which case you will never be able to play it again)

The problem isn't so much the trophies, it's the fact that you won't be able to play the game, even on single player, if:

A - You have a bad connection or don't even have your console connected to the Internet

C - The servers eventually get shut down (in which case you will never be able to play it again)

D - You don't have PS+

• Like 2

Yeah i understand your issue, i'm hoping they keep the servers open for a very long time, but hey we're talking about EA here lol. It's a strange move by EA tbh, i'm fine with it but I can understand peoples frustration.

• Like 1

That too.

Seriously, I'm more and more certain Internet connection capabilities were the worst thing that ever happened to console gaming.

As with many other things in life, it depends how it gets used.

...And EA refuses to learn from SimCity (2013 ...iirc)

But basicly I think that internet on consoles is a good thing and Im not just saying it because Im writing currently on one. :)

Alone because patches and because PSNP introduced me with nice people ^_^

As with many other things in life, it depends how it gets used.

...And EA refuses to learn from SimCity (2013 ...iirc)

But basicly I think that internet on consoles is a good thing and Im not just saying it because Im writing currently on one. :)

Alone because patches and because PSNP introduced me with nice people ^_^

I guess. Then again, I never meant for that remark to be an objective complaint, just my own personal opinion. As someone that looks at gaming as a solitary activity, I find very little use for all of the new features. But I guess there was some good to the change, even if I'm not making a lot of use out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

So if someone doesn't have an internet connection for whatever reason, you can't play this at all? Stuck at the main menu?

Most likely not even the main menu.

I don't know how exactly this game works, but I suppose you either

a ) are not able to start the game at all (because PS4 cannot confirm you are a PS+ member.

b ) are able to start it, but it stops at online connection authentication that probably happens after you start the game.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Spotted this on gamefaqs after a quick search:

Online with psplus: play with others, see 'real' people drive around.
Online without psplus: you play solo and only see AI drive around
Not online: you cant play

Not being able to play at all is a silly move, a week or two ago my broadband was down for 5 days, had I been playing NFS at the time, I'd have been pissed. My broadband has been down a few times since August so I may hold off on buying this for a while. 

Hopefully they release a patch that allows offline single player. I don't understand online only at all. 

• 4 months later...

This would of fared much better if EA had instead brought in a couple online trophies that were easy to get, whereas the rest of the game would playable without an Internet connection.

Since I'm stuck with slow DSL, doesn't look like I'll be playing this game.