I'm buying a PS4 soon - What games would you recommend?

Krazy_99

I'm hoping to buy myself a Playstation 4 in the next few weeks, and there is a few games that I quite like the look of but I don't want to go out and buy a load of brand new games, I'd rather just have 1 or 2 to begin with and work on those before I expand my collection. My two favourite genres of games are FPS and Racing, so I've currently got my eye on Far Cry 4, Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Project Cars and Formula 1 2015 (released in July) - Possibly Destiny but... I don't know.

I try not to read or watch too many reviews, I prefer to find out what fellow gamers actually think of games. So I thought I'd see what other people enjoy playing at the moment, and what's best avoided.. Any recommendations? 

• Like 4

Doesn't look like you've plated the Last of Us, get the remastered edition, it's stunning.  The MP is one of the better experiences I've had on console and utterly brutal.

Wolfenstein if you're after an FPS.

I love Destiny, but you need a few active friends to really enjoy it else it's pretty hollow

• Like 2

For an FPS and racing fan, Wolfenstein and Project CARS should give you many an hour of entertainment. Wolfenstein can be found for pretty cheap brand new (on eBay) so you could get the expansion as well if you enjoy the base game. Project CARS is one of the best racing games I've played in years, but it is a proper sim so if you're more into arcade racers it might be best to stay away from it. If you're a sim fan though, you'll have a properly good time.

Parker

• Like 1

I agree with Wolfenstein: The New Order as your FPS.

Racing, I'm not too into, sorry. 

Other highlights are The Last of Us: Remastered for a TPS. Soo beautiful on every level.

I can't avoid recommending Bloodborne, even if it might not be in your preferred genre. It's just amazing. 

Remember you're going to have to go with + if you're taking any of these games online on PS4, so save some of your budget for a subscription. You'll get 14 days for free with the PS4 (or, you used to at launch at any rate...)

• Like 1

Far Cry 4 is a must buy imo, such a fun game.

You should also go ahead and buy the Metro Redux Collection, both games look stunning and have a great atmosphere.

Alien Isolation is also a great game (from what I've seen and played myself so far), plus it's fairly cheap these days. You shouldn't expect a shooter from this though, this is more of a survival horror type of game.

I also recommend Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the first Sin, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

• Like 1

Oh yeah I forgot about Wolfenstein. I'll definitely be getting that one as well.

I know quite a few people who play Destiny. When they all started playing it that's all they talked about but after a few weeks they've all just gone off it. I've even watched a few of them play and, to me at least, it seems to get quite repetitive very quickly... but it does look incredible.

Parker - I love most racing games. Depends what kind of mood I'm in but two of my favourite racers that I played on my PS3 was Burnout Paradise and Gran Turismo. Most of the stuff I play lately is FPS so I need a new racing game in my life :)

I've played a few Battlefield games in the past but I never bothered with BF4.  May take a look at Hardline, but it's one of those games you need to play with friends to get the most out of it I think.

Cheers for the comments guys, keep 'em coming.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. I know you have them on PS3 already but given you've listed just FPS and racing it's the only one I can recommend.

I like most genres. If you look on the profile you'll see I like a verity of games, but not a fan of sports games...just...no.I doubt I would get the Handsome collection for PS4 simply due to the fact I've got both Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel on my PS3.

Advanced Warfare is $30 on Amazon (even though it's Call of Duty, it's still fun with friends in private matches), Mortal Kombat X just came out, Dying Light is really awesome, though somewhat buggy, Ass Creed IV: Black Flag is probably one of the best Ass Creed games, The Order: 1886 is worth a rental at least from Redbox just to play it (despite the overwhelming amount of cutscenes and QTE's), Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the better new-age Bioware RPG's, Sniper Elite III is just one big sniping gore fest if you're into that sort of thing (including exploding testicles if you aim right), Shadow Warrior is a really solid FPS ninja game, Sleeping Dogs is the best open world crime fighting game set in Hong Kong, even though the melee system isn't as fluid as I'd like it to be, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a prequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order and it's more of that if you enjoy the New Order, and I can recommend all of the games that everybody else has said, and I can't even begin to list the damn great amount of indie games on the PSN. 

If you're really ballsy, try Cabela's African Adventure or Duck Dynasty. Those are pure masterpieces right there, with Farming Simulator 15 almost making it to the top. 

• Like 1

Battlefield 4 is the best multiplayer shooter on PS4, in my opinion. Almost two years after launch, all of the old problems are gone and it is one of the best playing Battlefield games to date. Destiny is a lot of fun too, if you have friends who would play it. Shadow Warrior is another great FPS. The Evil Within is the best horror game on the system so far, though I'd consider Metro 2033 to be right along with it. Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are easily the best RPGs on the system right now. Driveclub is great if you just want a pure racing game focused on improving your best times and more realistic physics than Need for Speed.

I'm holding off on purchasing a ps4 and keeping the velcro on my Mickey Mouse wallet tightly closed until they come out with the ps4 Remastered, Definitive edition of Hannah Montana: The Movie: The Game: The Experience.

• Like 3