I'm buying a PS4 soon - What games would you recommend?

Krazy_99

Honest opinion: If there aren't 5 games you REALLY want to play on the platform, wait for the (inevitable) price drop.

Seriously, I bought mine at launch and it really doesn't get the use my PS3 does. Well, it collects more dust than my PS3, if that counts.  In the year and a half that I've owned it, I have plated InFamous:SS, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield 4, Order:1888 and Murdered:Soul Suspect on that system. As you can see, only 2 of those games are system exclusives.

We are at the point in the system's life cycle where Sony will begin "refining" the system, either by increasing the memory, changing the colors or findng more cost-effective ways of making the system (which results in price reductions). It is inevitable.

So unless there are a few games you absolutely HAVE to play only available on the platform, you've already waited this long, reap the benefits of your patience. . .

The only game on the PS4 to date (and I've played more than are on my account) that has outright impressed me, has been The Witcher 3.

That being said, since you're a fan of shooters, I'll echo Wolfenstein... even though you already said you intend to get it.  It's one of the few pure shooters that I've actually almost finished.  And that's saying something, since I usually can't make it past the first hour or two.

The Evil Within is an interesting game if you can get past the incredibly convoluted story, letterboxing and clunky controls.  Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed my time with it on PC.  The visuals are disgustingly beautiful at times, and it's a nice return to form for RE4-styled survival horror if you can get past the obvious flaws.

GTAV and The Last of Us are must have's regardless of platform.  Just go get them now.

Honorable Mentions: Dying Light is good, basically Far Cry with zombies, parkour and melee combat.  The Order 1886 if you can get it cheap.  Since The Walking Dead games (Season One and Two) are available on PS4... why not.  Get those as well. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I think the point is missed here Krazy, I reckon you should think what games will give you good scores when you return to the THL! ! :)

Haha, soon my friend... soon. Just for now I'm slowly getting back into gaming. There's still alot going on in my life away from gaming so I don't have a great deal of time, which is why I mentioned in my first post that I'll start off with only one or two games.

Thanks for your input guys and gals. Appreciate it. I've been looking at some gameplay footage of a few games mentioned and really like the look of some. As I just mentioned I'm not rushing to get them all just yet but I think I'll put a list together of what I'd like to play:

Definitely getting: Wolfenstein, Project Cars, Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare, The Order 1886, The Last Of Us

Possibly get:  GTA V, Destiny, DriveClub, The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4

There are others I like too but if I rush I'll never get any games completed. I rather work through 2 or 3 at once then start something new, or wait until the price drops.

Keep the comments coming folks,

• Like 1

Well from your icon, I would say Borderlands The Handsome Jack Collection :D

I'm a big fan of the Borderlands series, I'm currently pretty close to getting the platinum for The Pre-Sequel. However I doubt that I'll get the Handsome collection for PS4 simply due to the fact that I've been playing through it on my PS3 with 2 other friends of mine. But thanks anyway!

I beg you, play The Last of Us, its a must have experience that every gamer should have. 

This isn't the first time I've heard good things about The Last Of Us. I was tempted to get it for PS3 but never got around to it... so I think I will get this one as well. Thanks!

I don't know if you've been downloading the PS Plus games for PS4 but Resogun, Valiant Hearts, Never Alone and Guacemelee are great little games that you could probably buy for the price of one AAA game

I played Resogun at my mate's house and really enjoyed it, totally forgot about that game. Had Guacemelee for PS3, and got the platinum to prove it ;)

• Like 1

Based on your plats, the games you've already picked out seem like the games that you would enjoy the most. I would suggest waiting for Black Ops 3 to come out before getting Advanced Warfare. The game will likely drop 60% in price as soon as the next Call of Duty game comes out. You'll save money that way.

Haha, soon my friend... soon. Just for now I'm slowly getting back into gaming. There's still alot going on in my life away from gaming so I don't have a great deal of time, which is why I mentioned in my first post that I'll start off with only one or two games.

Thanks for your input guys and gals. Appreciate it. I've been looking at some gameplay footage of a few games mentioned and really like the look of some. As I just mentioned I'm not rushing to get them all just yet but I think I'll put a list together of what I'd like to play:

Definitely getting: Wolfenstein, Project Cars, Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare, The Order 1886, The Last Of Us

Possibly get:  GTA V, Destiny, DriveClub, The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4

There are others I like too but if I rush I'll never get any games completed. I rather work through 2 or 3 at once then start something new, or wait until the price drops.

Keep the comments coming folks,

I would also highly recommend grabbing Wolfenstein the Old Blood Its only a DLC game, but it is a great game in its own right with extremely fun gameplay beautiful settings and an interesting story. You will get a lot of content with this game for a cheap price :)

Going with what you have said, I would recommend these for your FPS experience: 

-Wolfenstein (Both of them, if you're looking for a singleplayer FPS)

-CoD AW (For a decently fun campaign and then the online aspect)

-Blacklight Retribution (Free from PSN, best with others, but easy to convince friends to try it as it's free :P)

-Killzone Shadow Fall (Decently good campaign and the online can be fun, but is slightly dead now)

I haven't played any racers on the PS4 so I can't help you out here, but it does seem to be a choice between Driveclub and Project Cars (With the latter being the better option I believe).

Now, if you're interested in other suggestions that are outside the experience you are looking for I would recommend:

-Shadow of Mordor (Best way to describe this is a mix of Batman and Assassin's Creed with the lore of Lord of the Rings, can't get much better than that huh?)

-Bloodborne (I haven't yet played it but will do so soon, I have heard it's amazing)

-Resogun (Fun little game that sees you controlling a ship and saving humans. It's very fun :))

-Hotline Miami (IF you haven't yet played it on another device)

-Witcher 3 (I haven't yet played it and don't plan on doing so, but from the words of others it sounds good)

-Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (IF you haven't played it on PS3 and interested in good value for your money)

For upcoming good games if you're interested in pre-ordering any, I would recommend having a look at:

-Black Ops 3 (Do I need to say anything here? :/)

-Rainbow Six: Siege (Very strategic and tactical FPS that looks AMAZING)

-Payday 2: Crimewave Edition (Very fun co-operative game, best played with friends)

-Batman: Arkham Knight (Um... you get to play as Batman....)

-Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain (METAL GEAR SOLID!!!!)

-Loads of other stuff.... have a look around!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought my first PS4 yesterday. Bundled in with Killzone Shadow Fall (because it was cheap) I'm happy to stick with just that for now but I'll take on board what you guys have said and look to start expanding my collection real soon.

Thanks for helping out a fellow gamer!

Edited by Krazy_99

On the one side Im asking for recommendations too, but on the other side... uhm, many people are recommending games I would not like anyway.

I think, its better when you look at your own profile and give suggestions to yourself. :)

But... I also dont like to be ALWAYS offtopic... so there there... I would buy...

Assassins Creed: Syndicate
Assassins Creed: Unity
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
DriveClub
FarCry 4 (In general, FarCry3 was the only FPS I liked)
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XV
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II
InFamous Second Son
Kingdom Hearts 3
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Omega Quintet
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
Persona5
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Zestiria
The Order 1866 (I dont like Shooters, but this one has no multiplayer and the setting is a mix of fantasy and victorian London... SOLD!)
The Witch and the Hundred Knight
Uncharted: Drakes Collection (no DLCs and no multiplayer! Finally I can get a hand on Uncharted too... :P)

Guess, meanwhile I "need" a PS4 too... but.. there are still enough PS3 and Vita games waiting for me. ^_^
Also I think there are some other PS4 games I would like, but have forgotten to add in my list.
Edited by Neputyunu

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood & The New Order are both awesome games. Dying Light, inFAMOUS: First Light & Second Son are also others worth checking out. Remastered games like Last of Us, Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider. Even though not a lot of people have played it, I'd recommend Ride if you like Motorbike games.

On the one side Im asking for recommendations too, but on the other side... uhm, many people are recommending games I would not like anyway.

I think, its better when you look at your own profile and give suggestions to yourself. :)

But... I also dont like to be ALWAYS offtopic... so there there... I would buy...

Assassins Creed: Syndicate
Assassins Creed: Unity
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
DriveClub
FarCry 4 (In general, FarCry3 was the only FPS I liked)
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XV
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II
InFamous Second Son
Kingdom Hearts 3
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Omega Quintet
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
Persona5
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Zestiria
The Order 1866 (I dont like Shooters, but this one has no multiplayer and the setting is a mix of fantasy and victorian London... SOLD!)
The Witch and the Hundred Knight
Uncharted: Drakes Collection (no DLCs and no multiplayer! Finally I can get a hand on Uncharted too... :P)

No Bloodybornezzz?