What is your biggest screw up on your way to a platinum?

I was going for the Blitz the League 2 plat because I heard the servers were going to shut down soon.  I had found 3/4 boosting partners and had completed all single player trophies.  Only problem was my account would not connect to the server.  My sub account, my wifes accout, and my sons all would connect and work just fine, but my main would never connect.  I tried a new router, a direct connected, opened up ports, called the hotline, posted on forums, and several other steps all to try and get my main to connect.  After months of trying the servers shut down and I am locked away from this very rare plat.

Metro Last Light...
the trophy which you have to make a clean playthrough and never kill anyone!
by the end of the level in which they are burning some shelter... i raised an alarm before entering the door to finish the level and apparently some idiot decided to run straight through the fire, because i finished the game without killing anyone and the trophy didn't popped!
after that i sold the game ¬¬

• 11 months later...

God of War 3 Remastered. After just platting the PS3 version beforehand, I was pretty bored + impatient and I ended up finishing the game with 14/15 Minotaur horns, meaning another playthrough was needed...

...But, because I was such a lazy ♥, I seldom saved my game. I reloaded a save and luckily there was a Minotaur horn right in front of me, saving me from another playthrough. 

Unchartered 2.

I had only the boss battle to finish and i started to get frustrated after more deaths than i'm willing to confess.

So i decided to do the 3 chapters speedrun....

And one thing lead to another.. I saved on my game.. Panicked.. And deleted everything...

So that plat cost me 3 playthrough. 2 on hard and one on crushing.

The best answer is this:

Not grinding out any MP trophies BEFORE the online shuts down, and you had a chance to do so, but didn't take the opportunity to get it done. Plenty of games (looking at you Darksiders 2) screwed plenty of hunters from plats.

• Like 1

I managed to miss a single Kerotan Frog on my second run of MGS3: Snake Eater. After figuring out which one it was I ran my way through the game a third time spamming the patriot, found the frog I missed, shot it and....nothing! I'd missed at least one more and I had no idea which  :lol:

So I was left with shooting every frog between there and the one I missed, repeatedly reloading during the Shagohod chase on the runway until I was 100% sure I'd hit each of them there...still nothing. I finally unlocked the trophy and the platinum with four to go, I was getting so paranoid that I'd have to run through the game a fourth time as each one passed with no trophy.

I've also buggered my Skyrim platinum on my current save, in the days before I realized chasing trophies is kinda fun I sold the Thieves Guild armour which I need to complete their questline, and tore the leader of the Dark Brotherhood to pieces when she locked me in a cabin so I can't even begin their questline  :awesome:

I'll start a new Skyrim save for those two trophies eventually but I'll leave that platinum for last before I move onto PS4.

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn

Treasure Hunter for Final Fantasy XIII. That trophy just did not like me. On my first playthrough of the game I really wasn't a trophy hunter back then, in fact it was my first PS3 game I played. I realized I should 100% the trophy list and lo' and behold I saw Treasure Hunter's requirements and realized I had sold items that I cannot obtain unless on a new playthrough. So... I went for a 2nd playthrough with a full checklist of items and weapons and still was not able to get the trophy so I gave up for a few years.

Between the two playthroughs I had 200 hours clocked in the game (I still enjoyed every second of it).

Then when I decided to sit down and try once again on a 3rd playthrough, 20 hours into the game I saw on a new checklist an item that I didn't recognize and went on my old file and thankfully was an item I could buy again and checked to see if I can get the trophy and I was finally able to get the Plat for the game.

In short, I first played the game in 2011 and then again in 2012. Went back late 2014 and was finally able to get the Plat.

(Also, I tried to get the Platinum again on another account and guess what? Treasure Hunter happened again...)

Edited by Ryko3674

• FIFA 14 - Challenging: Before this trophy became unobtainable, I had so many opportunities to earn this trophy, as I earned On My Own. I guess I was too late  :(

• MINDJACK: I platted this already, but it was my overall biggest game mistake adding on my Trophy Collection.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: I first played this game in December 2013, then I noticed that my cousin had for about a year. I heard rumors that this plat was easy, so I got it back, completed everything and then  :platinum:.

Edited by ee28max

I ended up replaying inFamous 2 about 7 times until I got the platinum. Since it was a long time ago I can't really remember why but one issue was the two different karma mission sets which I messed up as you can only stick to one side. I loved the game so much I didn't get super sick of it but when I got the platinum I was very happy because of all those playthroughs...

Angry birds trilogy on ps3

I think the trophy was called egg collector

Essentially find all of the hidden golden eggs throughout the game

About 120+ hours into the game I realized that there was a game breaking glitch where if you used the mighty eagle in a level with a hidden egg before collecting the egg, the eagle will gobble up the egg on you without actually awarding you the egg

The only way around this is to finish the rest of the trophies then deleting your save data and starting over from scratch

2years of off and on play and 200+ hours and a fresh start later, i earned the platinum

i had some close calls in final fantasy X-2 with getting a perfect ending

a recent one was back to the future episode 5 at the last part of the episode (could go up the ladder only twice) i fudged up by doing it 3 times. found out before it was too late and having to do the whole episode again.

costed a good 3-4 hours.

I was in the same boat as you.

I played BioShock 2 on hard right away thinking it was gonna be BioShock survivor mode(which I didn't finish) so I was planning on eventually reducing difficulty then do a second playthrough. However the game became surprisingly easier but I missed one of the power upgrades... So I played campaign again lol. Actually breezed through it though in about 5 hrs on the easiest difficulty.

Another one is my friend came over to my house and played just cause 2 on my account( and I let him) but he started a new game so it won't mess up my save. Since I relied on auto save for most of the game; well it formatted my progress into his progress soo... My fault I know. :(.

Another one is gta4. See it was my first game on ps3 and I don't care about trophies. Once I went for the plat, however I killed a lot of pigeons myself without a guide so it would be a hassle to know if I killed it or not with a guide. So I start a new game, finish it quickly do all side missions etc.. Then bam, I see online trophies so ridiculous I gave up... So I just wasted a lot of time. Seriously who the hell wants to win 119 glitchy games along with reaching max lvl. Also I don't like boosting but I do it if I have to even though no one will really know if someone did the trophies legit or not. Also I find it stupid that I was going to spend at least 20 hrs if not more just for trophies while preventing me from playing something I like. Anyways , I learned to hunt for trophies that will ameliorate my experience rather than making it a chore.

Don't get me wrong though, I will go through a little hassle if the plat isn't far away.

Aaaannnnd that was my story. Thanks for reading if you're reading this now :D

Also to the people who say they missed daedric artefacts, etc.. It doesn't matter if you lost it.

What matters is if you were once in possession of the artefact, according to the wiki. However if you kill or spare an NPC depending whether it was the choice that will prevent u from getting the artefact, then yea ull have to start again. I myself spared an NPC forgot which mission and it denied me mehrunes razor. It's not the end of the world though. One can simply get all trophies and do a second playthrough. Seeing to as how someone needs to play about 100+ hrs to plat skyrim, 10-15 hrs shouldn't bad.

Edited by poopooblast

Mine would have to be Kingdom's of Amular.  I didn't realize that there was a difficulty trophy which is something that I usually check for.  Beat the game (which is very long) only to find I was missing one trophy.  Checked to see what the trophy was and couldn't believe I would have to do a whole nother play through for one trophy.

I came here to post EXACTLY this.  :D  Was my last trophy to get the 100%.

I haven't had any major screw ups (yet) but recently in the new Ratchet and Clank I was missing the trophy for attacking every enemy in the game with the Groovitron. I figured that I had a missed an enemy in the middle of the game and had to a third playthrough. When I got up to the final boss I had still not got the trophy. I fought the final boss only to realize that he was the enemy I had missed and could have just fought him on my original save as it saves you right before the final battle. The game was short so I didn't care but it was still annoying.

Edited by Kent10201

Skrim: Oblivion Walker

I killed this guy, cause he was an asshole.

Turns out I needed a weapon he could only give me if he was alive...

I think at the time I had 12/15 artifacts. Never went back. Wasted like ~70+ hours.

In one of my many attempts to Beat Max Payne 3's New York Minute Hardcore trophy I made it to the final boss fight (Becker "boss" at the airport), and somehow managed to get myself killed by shooting a grenade midair with one enemy left to kill ... failing this late in the game was nothing short of heartbreaking and I literally felt like eating my controller afterwards ;__;

Persona 4 Golden: I was following a game guide on GameFAQs which failed me twice - first time through(which I scrapped) I forgot to check nighttime at the gas station for Adachi after I got to Level 4 on his Social Link so I missed an event that got me to Level 6 before Nanako was kidnapped, which meant I ended up on Level 9 in the Social Link when I got the True Ending. :(

Then I failed to follow events to the letter of the guide, which was designed to get you The Legend of Inaba and Compulsive Reader, so I found myself unable to complete both all of the social links and read all of the books before February 5th, the last day you can do anything before the final events of the game, so I had to sacrifice one of the trophies for Playthrough #2, so I didn't get Compulsive Reader. :(

Grim Fandango Remastered

Got to the 4th chapter and missed the 'great demon' conversation cause i had Glotis draw the blueprint and all those little buggers want to talk about after that is the rroooccckkkeeettt.......

forgot to save and my auto kicked in as i left the room. I hadn't saved once up to that point.

Played three fourths of the game over again to get it.