Greatest Hits Cases

PleaseHoldOn

Greatest Hits  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Original black-label, or greatest hits?

• I prefer the original releases.
    • I prefer the greatest hits releases.
    • Don't care one way or the other, as long as the game works.

So I've been buying a lot of games lately, mostly older used games.  I've always been a Playstation guy, but only recently have I decided to go all-in after a few years of quality time on the PC.

One thing that I've found I'm kind of picky with are the games cases.  Getting a used game where it looks like a dog was gnawing on the case, or the sleeve is half torn off, or the paper insert somehow got a huge hole in it... is very unappealing.  Even if the disc is in good condition.

Another unappealing feature are the "Greatest Hits" cases, or whatever they're called.  On the PS3, they are all red and stick out like a sore thumb compared to all of the other games I have that share the same uniform look.  On the 360, I believe it's all gray.  I'm sure there will be some iteration of it with the PS4 and XBOne.  Is it better to get a brand new, pristine copy of a game with a big red case... then to not have the game at all?  Sure, obviously.  But if I can choose between a great looking used copy of a game with the black label, and a brand new red greatest hits case... I go with the black label every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Just curious to see if I'm just some kind of monster, or if this is something others think about as well.  Do you prefer to not go "greatest hits" if you can help it when adding a new game to your collection?  Do you prefer the greatest hits cases, either because you think they look nicer or because they are generally GOTY editions with added content?  Do you not care one way or the other?

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I've sold all my Greatest Hits copies because I can't stand that ugly red case... as a collectionist it bothers me a lot  :S

I try to buy the games in their release presentations but when the game is too old or I just want it for the platinum I buy this greatest hits release and sold the games right away. I sold most of my GOTY editions too because most of them look really bad. This is one of  the best examples:

10606408-1339587922-686556.png

Edited by Aexuz

The real question here is, would you spend 10, 20 or even 30 bucks more to get the regular version in good condition over the greatest hits version?

I really dislike the greatest hits and classics boxarts as well, so I try to avoid them. I don't think I have any for PS3 or 360 at the moment.

I'm definitely up to spend a little more on the regular version just because of the boxart, but if the price is way higher, I usually wait for a couple of weeks and see if the price has changed.

Has anyone here bought a greatest hits version off PSN? I'm wondering how that looks...

Edited by TekkenKing10

Original box always. Unless GotY. Arkham City kept me hesitating, but I got GotY after all even though I found box art weird.

PS Move and kids' games are exception, as I don't really count them as part of my 'real game' collection. They can be Essentials.

I try to avoid them, and so far have none. 

Still Greatest Hits boxes (red outline) and infinitely better then the platinum boxes (grey box, yellow outline) that had.

Platinum was the old name for the same thing, and was used since PS1, but opposed to ps1, ps2 and PSP cases where both were at least discrete, the ps3 ones were really bad, same for the greatest hits of PSP (don't remember what it is called, but it's the new red outline for the PSP games).

Actually said that, most of my ps1, PSP and about half of my PS2 games are platinum cases, and I'm perfectly fine with them, but since they started using those ugly cases, I try to avoid them more.

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

It doesn't bother me much if it's GH or not. What really chaps my ass is bad condition. If I buy used (I haven't in quite a while), I just have to make sure everything is there and fine - cover, booklet, disc, box. Otherwise I just go and buy a new copy (don't mind paying extra). I keep my games so it really matters to me if they're kept in good shape, but I know people who just want to play the game then sell it so they don't care.

So I've been buying a lot of games lately, mostly older used games.  I've always been a Playstation guy, but only recently have I decided to go all-in after a few years of quality time on the PC.

One thing that I've found I'm kind of picky with are the games cases.  Getting a used game where it looks like a dog was gnawing on the case, or the sleeve is half torn off, or the paper insert somehow got a huge hole in it... is very unappealing.  Even if the disc is in good condition.

Another unappealing feature are the "Greatest Hits" cases, or whatever they're called.  On the PS3, they are all red and stick out like a sore thumb compared to all of the other games I have that share the same uniform look.  On the 360, I believe it's all gray.  I'm sure there will be some iteration of it with the PS4 and XBOne.  Is it better to get a brand new, pristine copy of a game with a big red case... then to not have the game at all?  Sure, obviously.  But if I can choose between a great looking used copy of a game with the black label, and a brand new red greatest hits case... I go with the black label every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Just curious to see if I'm just some kind of monster, or if this is something others think about as well.  Do you prefer to not go "greatest hits" if you can help it when adding a new game to your collection?  Do you prefer the greatest hits cases, either because you think they look nicer or because they are generally GOTY editions with added content?  Do you not care one way or the other?

I love the color red, so it doesn't bother me too much

I try to avoid them as much as possible, but I don't dislike them to the point of not buying the game because of it. I don't mind as much if it's just a single game with no sequels, like Heavy Rain (I avoid them mostly just to maintain consistency in my shelf).

I do hate it though when I specifically ordered an original version through Amazon only to find they shipped the Essentials edition because "it's all the same" :angry:

I like the original case, but I don't mind the greatest hits. I'm just glad they're not the platinum hits cases that Xbox 360 has. Where they make the game cover image smaller on the front, just so they can have the words "Platinum Hits" above it. I know platinum hits versions for PS3 exsist, but I've never seen one in person. So, I'm guessing they (thankfully) aren't all that common in the U.S.

For those who have never seen an Xbox 360 version.

bioshock_xbox_360_platinum_hit.jpg

The red cases are my favorite. I didn't know people hated them so much.

In my case, it's not that I hate the red boxes.  In some cases, I think it actually looks good.  Like the Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY edition.

My issue is that only a handful of games actually get a Greatest Hits release... but every game (with a few exceptions) gets a standard black label release.  So to have a nice uniform collection of similar looking game cases, I would need to avoid the red ones.  Because if I went red, I would need everything to be red, which is impossible. :)

Of course, I think it's inevitable that I'll wind up adding Greatest Hits releases to my collection someday... infact I'm going to begrudgingly get the Mass Effect Trilogy with it's big misshapen game case because it's the only way to get Mass Effect 1 in disc form (I don't do digital).  So it's not just Greatest Hits, it's really any sort of oddly shapen or colored game boxes that irks me. xD

Edited by PleaseHoldOn