Recommend a PS4 Game (New PS4 Owners Look Here)

Parker

Recommending a game for a new PS4 user is really dependent on their tastes in games, what I'd recommend as a must own for a new PS4 user would most likely not work since I tend to like some really off the wall games.  For the sake of argument here are my recommendations:

1. NieR: Automata - This is by far the best game I've ever played *drops mic*, I may have bought a PS4 for Horizon Zero Dawn and FFVII Remake, but this game came out of left field and knocked me on my backside.  Music is 10/10, story is multilayered and involving, combat is the typical flawless Platinum Games offering, visuals are quirky but endearing, got the demo from the store on a whim, preordered the game 120 minutes later.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn - I bought my PS4 after E3 2015 when I saw the trailer for this game (and FFVII Remake to be fair) and have not regretted he decision.  It's a great world with characters I can feel for, and who can't resist the urge to fight mecha T-Rexes that have lasers, rockets and machine guns with a bow and arrow.  This game was my first platinum for a reason.

3. Infamous First Light - The official first PS4 game I bought, great visuals and quick to pick up game play, a game that most likely costs very little at this point that looks like what a PS4 game should look like more often than not.

4. Gravity Rush Remastered - The aesthetic may not appeal to all, but the game utilizes X/Y/Z axis game play and has good control response, the quirky art style grows on you after a while, and it's just really good. (haven't played Gravity Rush 2 so can't say if it's worse/same/better)

• Like 2

Top 5 Favorite PS4 Games I've Played & Recommend:

5. Persona 5

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

3. The Last Guardian

2. Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy

1. Bloodborne

Honorable Mentions: NieR: Automata, Uncharted 4 A Thief's End, Destiny

• Like 2

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster: two games in one, and a great remake of the PS2 version. The story is where it's at with these. 

Tales of Berseria: Fun combat system, interesting story and humour as well. I liked it best for the battle system, the characters are a unique bunch. 

Persona 5: Story heavy and great gameplay. The game has lots of volume, so you can play it for a long time. 

Nier Automata: Fluid and swift action RPG battles, excellent story and beautiful game design, music and characters. 

Life is Strange: An easy and short adventure game with easy trophies, but the story is very evocative and emotional. There is the sequel being released in parts as well. 

FFXII The Zodiac Age: If you were to choose between this or XV, I would say go with XII. It's a true FF game with lots of exploration, monster hunts and an interesting combat system unlike the usual command input type.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 and 2.8: KH games are a great series of action RPG FF x Disney series of games. They can be tough, but the story and characters is full of depth and top notch in the RPG world.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane trilogy: I love the CB games, so for anyone who enjoyed the ps1 versions, this game is great to pick up.

Yakuza 0: One of the best Yakuza games. I played only a small bit, but my brother loved this game a lot. It's like a Japanese GTA. 

Beyond two souls/ Heavy Rain: These are available as a collection pack and are good for adventure game fans.

Edited by Lava_Yuki

1. Persona 5, haven't finish it yet since i'm currently busy getting the plats on easy plat game i have, but everyone should've known this is the best JRPG on current gen platform. Hell i dare to say it's the best exclusive PS4 has. Not to mention i bought ps4 just because of this game.

2. Life Is Strange, i grab it for an easy plat at first and doesn't care for the game at all but i stand corrected, it's a beautiful games inside out.

3. FIFA, u want some football? this is the answer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I recently got a PS4 and a friend recommended me this website.

I want to be a trophy hunter. I bought Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn with my PS4. I want to focus on PS4 exclusives for now. Can someone recommend me some that I would enjoy or you have enjoyed yourself? I like single-player experiences and I don't like sport games.

Is it too late to buy a PS3 and get trophies for old games?

Thank you!

On 13/08/2017 at 5:47 AM, TurdFlingingApe said:

Hi there! I recently got a PS4 and a friend recommended me this website.

I want to be a trophy hunter. I bought Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn with my PS4. I want to focus on PS4 exclusives for now. Can someone recommend me some that I would enjoy or you have enjoyed yourself? I like single-player experiences and I don't like sport games.

Is it too late to buy a PS3 and get trophies for old games?

Thank you!

Hey dude, welcome aboard!

Ok so I would recommend Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son, three easy and very entertaining platinums to get.

And no, it's not too late for a PS3, there's plenty of great games to it that will never get old, however, if you are looking for platinum, be sure to check the trophies list before to see if there's online trophies attached to the game and if the game servers still online, other than that you're good to go.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 0:38 AM, bduarte1 said:

Hey dude, welcome aboard!

Ok so I would recommend Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son, three easy and very entertaining platinums to get.

I'll buy RC and ISS. I want to play Uncharted 1 2 3 before I play 4. Thanks for the recommendations.

Edited by TurdFlingingApe
  • Like 1

Hyper Light Drifter - Resting somewhere between The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Bloodborne, this game has incredible combat and atmosphere with a great soundtrack by Disasterpeace. It's an artful game  with incredible world design that rewards exploration that I can't recommend enough

Mad Max - While not the best game (and has a buggy trophy list, so read the trophy guide beforehand to avoid the bugs), this is a great time sink when you just want to go through a checklist on a map. The story is surprisingly well-crafted for a collectathon open-world game, and the visuals and locales fit into the Mad Max mythos well. This game is not one of immense substance or groundbreaking innovation, but it is a good time. 

Night in the Woods - this quirky story-driven game is one of my favorite experiences of 2017. I love the humor, I love the characters, I love the surprisingly realistic handling of mental illness, I absolutely adore the visuals, and I absolutely recommend everyone give this a shot. (Also, the publishers live in my hometown and I actually got to grab drinks with them which was really cool)

Virginia - silent movie/walking simulator homage to Twin Peaks, this game is like nothing you've ever played. It's very short but very memorable. 

Titanfall 2 - This game is entrancingly kinetic. Not only is the multiplayer stellar, but the campaign was one of my favorite single-player experiences of 2016. Give it a shot, even if you don't normally like military FPS games. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a list of PS4 games that are definitely worth your time. 

Some games are included in there are now very cheap to buy so money wise , you have hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay here without paying too much.

I've placed into categories the games and on purpose haven't done any shooters categories because it ain't my cup of tea. 

Open World / RPG

- Witcher 3

- Dragon Age Origin

- Batman Arkham Knight

- Shadows or Mordor

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Final fantasy XV

- Farcry 4

- Infamous Second Son

- Assassin's Creed Syndicate

- Mad Max

Action Adventure

- Unchartered 4

- Rise of the Tomb Raider

Platformers

- Unravel

- Rachet and Clank

- Teslagrad

- Limbo

- Deadly Tower of Monsters

- Lego the videogame

- Abzu

- Mirrors Edge Catalyst

- Tearaway Unfolded

Story driven games

- Life is strange

- Tales of Bortherlands

- Until Dawn

- The Order 1886

Remastered (if you haven't played)

- Bortherlands Handsome Collection

- Unchartered 1-3

- Last of Us

- Final Fantasy X

- Bioshock

- Batman Arkham Collection

- Assasins Creed. Ezio Collection

- Assasins Creed Black Flag

- God of War 3

- Skyrim

- Beyond two souls/ heavy rain

- Journey

- Grim fandango

That's all I can think of right now but it is all games that I really enjoyed :)

Edited by dadoudelidou
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

*Hard Reset: Redux- A good FPS that isn't another Call of Duty/Battlefield, switching out the overused military theme for cyberpunk.  Some nice weapons like the laser-guided RPG, smartgun, & railgun.  Excellent soundtrack with some Tekken style BGM.

*Titanfall 2- Good SP campaign.  Your Titan BT-7274 is also a cool sidekick.

*Nier: Automata

*Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana- Another Ys game, at least the same length as Celceta.  Jumping is back.  JDK totally delivers on the soundtrack again.

*King of Fighters XIV- I'd take this over SF V anyday.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.

This is a game I bought not long after I bought my PS4 and I absolutely love it. I struggled with it at first and it took me a while to figure out all the abilities of the operators and how to use cameras and drones properly but once I understood all of that I was really enjoying the game. It is a game that makes you think and actually requires a skill. Communication is very important and having a team of people to play it helps a lot. The trophies aren't very hard and most should come naturally by playing. It's perhaps harder to get into now as there are many operators in the game and there is a bit of a learning curve so I recommend playing with a friend who already has the game so they can explain you the basics. One thing to note is this not like Call of Duty. You need to be smart and play the objective. Don't go for kills, they should come naturally whilst playing the objective. 

I thought I'd recommend a few indie games that I feel have been unjustly overlooked (and that regularly are on sale on PSN)... My only criterion beside my subjective opinion was that there were less than 5,000 people who played them on this site.

Atmospheric games (it's not all they have, but they certainly left an impression)

-The Final Station is an 8-bit horror/sci-fi adventure exploration game which manages to build a very unique atmosphere in its short-ish run-time. I highly recommend it.

-Hyper Light Drifter has been mentionned before, but its great world, music, gameplay... I truly don't understand why more people aren't playing... (Unless you're a strict 100%er, of course. It's HARD).

-Three Fourths Home is what artsy visual novels could be. I'm disappointed this isn't now a sub-genre.

-Neverending Nightmares is a short, scary, Edward Gorey-esque horror game. While it doesn't have very varied gameplay, it's short enough that it doesn't matter.

-Abyss Odyssey is a game I saw on sale every other week until I thought to give it a try. The art is indeed gorgeous, but the rogue-like platforming is not half-bad either!

Puzzle games

-Hopiko is quick, so quick. It's hard, and you'll die the 1,000 trophy-required deaths before long, but it's a great game to play in quick sessions between more serious fare.

-Lichtspeer has great music, quirky monsters, and while it's another game where trophies are near-impossible to complete (if only because you need to play it 100 hours and leaving it on doesn't seem to work...), it's a great time-killer.

-The Fall could have been put in the atmospheric category. But its puzzles are hard enough to bump it down here. It's dark, smart, and overlooked.

-Gnog has great music, puzzles that are a great challenge for pre-teens, and looks AMAZING in VR if you're lucky enough to own a set.

-Four Sided Fantasy is always on sale, yet no one plays it. Again, inventive puzzles, great music, fun finale, and short (a good thing in my book).

Others:

-Party Hard has some of the worst voice acting out there, but thankfully it is completely irrelevant to the mass murdering game. Stab people. Get points!

-The Bug Butcher is a beautifully designed shooter, Space Invaders camouflaged as something looking cartoonishly good.
-Steamworld Heist is a criminally underrated puzzle/strategy/rpg game. It's hard to describe, but definitely worth a try.

-Zombie Vikings was somehow panned by critics, but I found it to be funny, great to play with friends, and with enough variety to entertain you for a long time.

Edited by visighost
(had added a Vita-only game by mistake)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Metal Gear Solid - old but gold (whole series) PS3/4

Heavy Rain - not for everyone, 1. sad and depressing, 2. tell you story. PS3/4

Beyond Two Souls - like above, from the same studio. PS3/4

The Last of Us and Uncharted series - reason why i bought PS3/4.

Until Dawn - one of the best horror i ever played, next to RE7 and Alien Isolation my favorite (and i hate horrors!)

Horizon Zero Dawn - great game, one of those where you love them from the first sight and want to play it after a while. worth also buying PS4 just for this game.

Witcher 3 - not exclusiv but my favorite rpg game. played this 6 time, and im gonna buy complete edition to play it 7 and 8 time :)