% Completion - how is it calculated ?

This may have been posted already but I could not find it anywhere so sorry if this is a dup...

Anyhow, I have a question on how the % completion is calculated.  Using my profile as an example, I have 1,988 earned trophies and 272 unearned which by my calculations should give me a % completion of 87.96% but according to the site I have 85.53%!

Anyone know how its calculated on the site ?

This is off-topic, but I don't want to create a seperate thread for it since I think this question has been asked a lot.

Why is the trophy rarity on this site different from the numbers PSN is showing?

I think it's because PSN calculates rarity by total number of PSN accounts. Whereas this site calculates it based on total game owners. This is why so many trophies are "ultra rare" on PSN.

This is off-topic, but I don't want to create a seperate thread for it since I think this question has been asked a lot.

Why is the trophy rarity on this site different from the numbers PSN is showing?

Sonys values are the actual rarity among all game owners.

This sites rarity are just the rarity values among users of this site who haveearned at least onetrophy in the game and/or in the specific dlc pack that the trophy is contained within.

I think it's because PSN calculates rarity by total number of PSN accounts. Whereas this site calculates it based on total game owners. This is why so many trophies are "ultra rare" on PSN.

Nope. Edited by DrBloodmoney

But I can find some of my friends on this site who didn't register....So can't you look up every account on this site as well, regardless if they registered or not?

You looking them up IS registering them on the profile side of the site - once you search them once they are included in the stat i believe

I've always found it curious that we use inaccurate percentages, or at least apply filters to our stats.

Games with 0% are not included in completion rate and trophy rarity is only calculated amongst site users, while in actuality Sony's figures are the one and only stats give an actual representation of the rarity of trophies.

There are +80 millon PSN accounts versus the 150k gamers tracked on here.

• Like 1

Sly is right. 80 million a lot of them who are just casual gamers who only play Call of Duty, Minecraft, and Grand Theft Auto.. don't even care about trophies VS the 2 million gamers tracked on here, most of which enjoy collecting trophies.

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 2

We've done the rarity for 4 years, we track just under 2.2m gamers. Our percentages are more relevant to trophy hunters.

No you personally deem it to be more relevant, does not mean these percentages are accurate. Not every trophy hunter is tracked on this site.

You can't just assume the other 77.8 million people do not go for trophies

No you personally deem it to be more relevant, does not mean these percentages are accurate. Not every trophy hunter is tracked on this site.

Trophy hunters are a minority. Using a smaller sample that mostly includes people who actually go for trophies makes for a more helpful percentage. If you want accurate, you can just look at the very deflated PSN numbers.

You are wrong, sly is right.

Sorry, but it makes no sense to calculate the rarity over the whole PSN since only a small percentage of gamer are looking for trophies. If this site calculated rarity over every game owner, we would all have many trophies with a "fake" 0,01% rarity.

Edited by lesk8vaincra

Trophy hunters are a minority. Using a smaller sample that mostly includes people who actually go for trophies makes for a more helpful percentage. If you want accurate, you can just look at the very deflated PSN numbers.

You are wrong, sly is right.

Sorry, but it makes no sense to calculate the rarity over the whole PSN since only a small percentage of gamer are looking for trophies. If this site calculated rarity over every game owner, we would all have many trophies with a "fake" 0,01% rarity.

For those who still fail to understand the flaws in this system, let's stick to actual facts rather than assumptions

Assassins Creed 2 sold more than 10 million units versus 480k tracked gamers on PSNP

PSNP rarity is 29% - 140.000 platinum achievers

Sony's rarity is 5.9% out of 10 million, 590.000 platinum achievers

This leaves 590-140= 450.000 platinum owners unaccounted for.

Conclusion: there are plenty of trophy hunters who are not being tracked. Which is to be expected as only a small portion of PSN players are registered on this site

Conclusion: there are plenty of trophy hunters who are not being tracked. Which is to be expected as only a small portion of PSN players are registered on this site

As is often the case there are pros and cons to both systems so it's not really a question of figuring out which system is flawed as it is figuring out which system suits our purposes better. For example, who knows how many cheaters have been blacklisted from the stats on this site? But ultimately at the end of the day Sly's numbers are easier for humans to read and compare which is what makes them better. We're really interested in trophies rareness as relative to other trohphies, not in a vacume, so it's nice for me to be able to guage that relativity without having to count decimal points.

Edited by lporiginalg

Sly is right.

When it comes to this site, this shouldn't have to be said.

For those who still fail to understand the flaws in this system, let's stick to actual facts rather than assumptions

You would be better off just saying to yourself "for this site" after reading every statistic.

If you acknowledge that Sony's numbers include everyone and that this one *member site* only includes it's gamers tracked in it's calculation, why do you have a problem with that? This is a tiny (huge) trophy community, the numbers are based only on them.

You consider it a flaw, but that's because of your expectations. No where on this site does it say that the numbers here are anything other than (gamers tracked)-only numbers.

Edit: Thanks to ZeroXOF for pointing out my flaws in life. I mistakenly interchangeably used the terms "members" and "gamers tracked". Corrected now.

Edited by DaivRules

When it comes to this site, this shouldn't have to be said.

You would be better off just saying to yourself "for this site" after reading every statistic.

If you acknowledge that Sony's numbers include everyone and that this one *member site* only includes it's members in it's calculation, why do you have a problem with that? This is a tiny (huge) trophy community, the numbers are based only the members.

You consider it a flaw, but that's because of your expectations. No where on this site does it say that the numbers here are anything other than members-only numbers.

The numbers are based on gamers tracked not members. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

Assassins Creed 2 is the most earned platinum on Playstation. That's hardly a game to use for comparative reasons as even a casual player who loves the game could just happen to earn it by doing what he enjoys.. 'playing the game'. AC2 doesn't require you to go out of your way or grind, if you love a game you tend to do everything in it before finally putting it down right? Well the AC2 platinum requires just that and nothing more = the reason why its the most earned platinum.

Out of those 450,000 extra platinum users I highly doubt the majority of them are trophy hunters. Most people who are trophy hunters like to show off their trophies and will find a way to do so "Google trophy cards/tracking" and PSNP is usually the first site on the search engine. Yeah I'm sure theirs still quite a few hunters who haven't signed up yet but they will eventually.

And your also not considering the HUGE majority of casual players who don't even finish games therefor they make games platinum rarity more rare than it actually is. There was quite a few different articles last year about game devs admitting gamers hardly even get to end of their games. Here's one by IGN using Steam (PC) statistic  Basically 2 out of 3 people won't even finish the STORY. Do I want to compare my stats with those results? HECK NO.

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 1

Assassins Creed 2 is the most earned platinum on Playstation. That's hardly a game to use for comparative reasons as even a casual player who loves the game could just happen to earn it by doing what he enjoys.. 'playing the game'. AC2 doesn't require you to go out of your way or grind, if you love a game you tend to do everything in it before finally putting it down right? Well the AC2 platinum requires just that and nothing more = the reason why its the most earned platinum.

Out of those 450,000 extra platinum users I highly doubt the majority of them are trophy hunters. Most people who are trophy hunters like to show off their trophies and will find a way to do so "Google trophy cards/tracking" and PSNP is usually the first site on the search engine. Yeah I'm sure theirs still quite a few hunters who haven't signed up yet but they will eventually.

And your also not considering the HUGE majority of casual players who don't even finish games therefor they make games platinum rarity more rare than it actually is. There was quite a few different articles last year about game devs admitting gamers hardly even get to end of their games. Here's one by IGN using Steam (PC) statistic  Basically 2 out of 3 people won't even finish the STORY. Do I want to compare my stats with those results? HECK NO.

How would you know this, have you met the other 450,000 achievers? 

Assassins Creed 2 sold more than 10 million units versus 480k tracked gamers on PSNP

PSNP rarity is 29% - 140.000 platinum achievers

Sony's rarity is 5.9% out of 10 million, 590.000 platinum achievers

This leaves 590-140= 450.000 platinum owners unaccounted for.

10 million units sold? Yeah, but it is cumulative for PS3, XBOX, and PC. If every plateform got 33% of the units, 5,9% plat would mean around 200.000 platinum for PS3, which, even if it is not right, is much more close to PSNP statistics. And i think that the game was more sold on PC (not sure however). But whatever, assassins creed 2 isn't representative, because it is really easy to plat. those extra achievers are most likely NOT trophy hunters, they just liked the game and played it..

edit: according to this site: http://www.senscritique.com/liste/Les_50_meilleures_ventes_mondiales_sur_PS3/490808

there is 5,32 million copy sold on PS3.

the fact is that most of the trophy hunters ARE tracked on PSNprofile. So of course, the statistics from this site is completely biased by that: most of PSN users doesn't care for trophies, but most of PSNP users does...

And i don't want to have a "fake" rarity on my profile. Why would i want to see that 0,01% of binding of isaac's player achieved the platinum, if most of those players didn't even TRY to get that plat, because they just don't care?

So yeah, the statistics on this site may not be perfect, but at least they are representative of the stats amongst trophy hunters. And that is the exact purpose of PSNprofile...

Edited by lesk8vaincra