How long do you think until PS3 support stops entirely?

ShadowStar83x

Physical game releases in 10 years though by that time it will have whittled to just sports releases. I don't believe digital support will end, it's just too lucrative for Sony, constant cash inflows for a nigh negligible cost margin

Edited by Bullstomp

Probably not until PS5 comes, which should be in about 10 years. Even without Internet support, PS2 lasted for 13 years, so the PS3 should last even longer.

I second this. Possibly even still going by the time a potential ps6 comes out. Fifa 14 came out on ps2 just a month or so before the ps4 hit the market. we're 18 months or so into this gen and apart from first party titles how many games are we seeing that's just new gen? I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case between ps2/ps3 where it was pretty much sports titles by this point. MGSV is getting a ps3 release near enough 2 years later, it won't be the last. Digitally it'll be supported for many years to come

Edited by Cleggworth

I think new PS3 games will probably stop being released early next year because already you can see a big decrease in releases, but I would imagine the PS3 bit on the online store will be available for quite some time yet. Will PSN ever be disabled on this console? I hope not. I understand game servers being shut down but PSN? Hmmm hopefully not!!

• Like 1

3 years, makes logical sense. I would guess that 50% of the userbase would have moved on or try a new platform. Sony and developers only stop support when the console has or is losing users fast. 

Probably not until PS5 comes, which should be in about 10 years. Even without Internet support, the PS2 lasted for 13 years, so the PS3 should last even longer.

The PS2 did have internet support, it was called online network play and it was very unique (Very bad). The PS3 will be in the same position but maybe 10 not 13 years.

It entirely depends on how long it's profitable enough to be supported.

If next year, everyone suddenly stops playing on PS3, they'll stop support within a couple of years. If in 10 years, there's still a large number of people playing on PS3, and they're still making money, they'll continue to support it.

So, it's hard to say. Especially since this generation is such a strange one. With the small gap in technology and how games are played between the PS3 and PS4, and the fact that PS4 isn't backwards compatible, I think that we've got at least another 5 years of solid support for the PS3. Then another 2-3 years of it having just online support, but no new releases or updates.

Edited by ExHaseo

Until I clear my back log. Day after that, PSN goes down.

Count me in on this one.

On topic, game releases, minus sport games, might stop next year or the one after that. We aren't getting many new great games on PS3 lately, and I say it will only decrease with time. About a full stop, I say 5 years is a solid bet.

I think it's going to be a fairly long time before PSN ceases support on PS3.

Of course that depends also on game devs keeping servers open for their games. But with PS Now PS3 will last longer on the market than the PS2 did, which still lasted a long time as well.

I think basic PSN services will still be up though for PS3 in the future, for trophy sync and game updates, etc.

Edited by Death_Ninja

I see no reason why PSN will be stooped on PS3 at any point in the forseeable future. As someone above said, MGSV is coming out on PS3 in Spetember (which I will certainly be getting) despite the PS4 being nearly two years old at that point. New games will be very sparse after that but the console should be digitally supported for as long as PSN itself is a thing.

• Like 1

i've been saying for a while now, if, IF, they do drop support fr PS3 in terms of games they should just bring low rate MMOs from PC. they'd make twice as much money since that will draw people to PS3 as well as the free multiplayer. besides they use to brag about how much PS3 was like a computer anyway and games like S4 League and all could easily play on it. hell if Phantasy Star would of come out like Sega promised the PS3 would still be more used then it already is.

• 2 weeks later...

I think basic PSN services will still be up though for PS3 in the future, for trophy sync and game updates, etc.

You do not need PSN account in order to download update/patch for a game. These are not stored on SONY servers, you just download them from internet.

But I think there is no reason for SONY to disconnect PlayStation 3 (PS Vita as well) from PSN at all. All the PlayStation consoles are using the same envinroment and it makes no sense that you would be able to sync your account from PS4 but not from PS3. So you should be able to sync trophies and access your downloadable content till the end of this sevice world-wide.