What Video Game Villains Did You Actually View as Heroes/Anti-Heroes? Spoilers Maybe.

GamerGirIKat

Mikhail Faustin - GTA 4

5P0MHL5.png

I didn't necessarily view him as a hero or anti-hero but I think it's safe to assume that everyone could sense that Dmitri was "a snake in the grass". I liked Mikhail, he was crazy & short tempered but I think he would've been man enough to take out Dmitri himself if he felt he needed to.

Dutch Van Der Linde - Red Dead Redemption

UmBI9zx.png

I haven't finished RDR yet, but when Dutch finally received screen time and he started speaking about his ideals and such I couldn't help but kind of agree with his points.

Johnny K & The Lost - GTAV

Oq6HlRF.jpg

I wouldn't say he was an antagonist, but his death rubbed me the wrong way for a few reasons. At the end of TLaD he cut ties with Ashley, burned down the clubhouse  and rode off into the sun, but now he's back dealing drugs and back with Ashley the meth head. Terry & Clay getting killed also was just overkill. I'm surprised they didn't throw Angus in there as well.

The man that broke into a prison to kill his childhood friend turned snitch, is standing outside of the home of the man banging his girlfriend, making threats & when he's finally face to face with him he cries into his shoulder. GTFOH

From the start I wasn't too fond of Trevor, but on the plus side that scene made my end game choice feel like a reward and oh HOW.SWEET.IT.WAS.

• Like 2

Johnny's death was bullshit, it was one of the many reasons why I hated the story of GTA V. It was a kick to the teeth for fans of The Lost and Damned and it also made me really hate Trevor. 

My choice would have to be The Boss from MGS 3

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 3

Johnny's death was bullshit, it was one of the many reasons why I hated the story of GTA V. It was a kick to the teeth for fans of The Lost and Damned and it also me me really hate Trevor. 

My choice would have to be The Boss from MGS 3

The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that he was even in that situation to begin with, he had his closure. He finally turned his back on the past.

That kind of writing is what soured Max Payne 3 for me a little. In MP2 Max finally gets over the death of his family and his drug addiction. Now in MP3 he's back in survivor's guilt mode and hooked on pills again. Why? I liked the game and all but the "3" part bothers me.

Solidus from MGS2. When the reasons behind his actions were revealed he turned into the protagonist in my eyes. I even let Raiden die in their 1v1 hoping that would change the outcome of the story.

And the xenophobes in Way of the Samurai 4. I don't think I'll ever platinum that game because I can't bring myself to side with anyone but them.

Edited by HDstay_WINNING
  • Like 1

Solidus from Metal Gear Solid 2. While he did do some bad things, in the end all he really wanted to do was get rid of the Patriots' control on everything and do something to be remembered by. Not sure if his version of "Liberty" was the same as Senator Armstrongs, but he seemed to mean well with what he wanted so maybe not.

Vergil from Devil May Cry 3. He didn't really do anything evil. He just wanted more power to protect those he cared about since he felt guilty about his mother. The only thing is he just embraced his demonic side more since he thought that was what gave him more power and that's what conflicted with his brother.

"Hey Mikhail is everything okay?"

"No I'm fucking angry!" :D

Dimitri was a chump, should have switched roles with Mikhail as the big villain. None of the GTAV characters appeal to me where as people like jacob, Brucie and Mikhail really stand out for their extreme personalities

My hero is Bioshock's Sander Cohen. Caught in between the crossfire of Johny Fontaine and Andrew Ryan. He is not an evil person, he just has different..ideals. yeah thats it

Edit: Caius from FFXIII series. He has always acted the way he thought was right. Believing in doing what you think is right is a noble cause, even when your actions are ethically questionable.

Edited by Goekie
  • Like 1

Someone I forgot to mention...

Marlene - The Last Of Us

S96x31Q.gif

Listening to the her eat herself up about whether or not she was making the right decision in the audio diaries, I wish I was given the choice on how I wanted that to play out

In the end I honestly thought Joel was going to tell Ellie the truth and she was going to kill him for it, or at least that they were going to give the player the option too.

My hero is Bioshock's Sander Cohen.

The audio diaries were comedic gold. Couldn't you avoid fighting him as well? If so I never knew, my policies in games locked in first person view is to walk in the room swinging. "Condemned" made me paranoid of jump scares and the way the trolls would get right in your face in TES:Oblivion always creeped me out.

To comment on the Johnny K thing,I felt sad when he died but it didn't change my view on Trevor.

Johnny's death didn't change my opinion on Trevor, I already disliked him. I knew what type of character he would be, a lot of colorful language and overly violent. Plus fans calling him GOAT based on that alone.

Not that there's anything wrong with that or people liking him as a character, that just doesn't appeal to me. I honestly was indifferent to all three protagonists though. 

And the xenophobes in Way of the Samurai 4. I don't think I'll ever platinum that game because I can't bring myself to side with anyone but them.

I can't even bring myself to play it at all lol. It just feels like something is missing from that game and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

• Like 1

Solidus Snake - Metal Gear Solid 2 

Solidus_snake_on_AG.jpg

His whole goal of Metal Gear Solid 2 was to destroy the patriots and to try and prevent them from gaining digital control over the world. 

Apart from the killing of Olga and also Raidens parents I am sure he was a great guy to be around :P

• Like 2

If video game stories do something right it's villains that talk logic instead of insanity (we have those too) and Anti-heroes. Sif, The Boss, Riku, Solidus, Arthas, Kratos, Kain, Agent 47 and I can go on. But the one that I love the most and the one I found to be the most tragic one was Loghain Mac Tir!

lab8.png

Edited by Johnathan994
  • Like 1

I'd think Sephiroth could fit that mold for the most part as he was duped his entire life, and he thought he was doing the right things

Niko Bellic could also fit that mold as well

I agree Sephiroth reminds me of Char Aznable from Gundam too =P

Though the more you watch gundam the more you see influences from gundam you see in FFVII

More games? That's what I'm doing, technically (and I don't think I "need" that). But why? Because I don't have the same opinion about antagonists as you?

No I don't want anybody to have the same opinion as me in anything (that would make the world very boring if we all had the same opinions and thoughts), I was just saying that you might want to try more games as there are plenty out there that have an antagonist who has good intentions such as The Last Of Us :D 

• Like 2