Is this game any good?

tw34kfr34ky

I love the tv show,but im kind of worried if this will be nearly as good.

Can anyone who played the game tell us something about the gameplay and is it worth buying?

Coming from someone who hasn't watched the TV show, I think it's decent, but I haven't gotten to the 'open world' part of the game yet, assuming there is one. Each chapter seems to have a different character class (and completely new character), which you can make into one of three subclasses. You also have a certain number of stat/skill points to spend, different strengths and weaknesses (they have to be balanced though), and points that you can put into weapons/armor skill to make the bonus higher, depending on your stats.

So far, the combat seems to be a lot like Dragon Age (I was asked whether it's like 1 or 2, but since I haven't played DA2, I'm gonna say it's like DA1. Supposedly DA2 is more action RPG-ish.) I haven't gotten very far, only to the second chapter, but it seems like a pretty good game.

I'd probably like it way more if I watched the show though.

Coming from someone who hasn't watched the TV show, I think it's decent, but I haven't gotten to the 'open world' part of the game yet, assuming there is one. Each chapter seems to have a different character class (and completely new character), which you can make into one of three subclasses. You also have a certain number of stat/skill points to spend, different strengths and weaknesses (they have to be balanced though), and points that you can put into weapons/armor skill to make the bonus higher, depending on your stats.

So far, the combat seems to be a lot like Dragon Age (I was asked whether it's like 1 or 2, but since I haven't played DA2, I'm gonna say it's like DA1. Supposedly DA2 is more action RPG-ish.) I haven't gotten very far, only to the second chapter, but it seems like a pretty good game.

I'd probably like it way more if I watched the show though.

Apparently you don't play with the characters of the show, though. I hate it when game developers do that...

Anyway, it's not getting a lot of positive feedback, so I'm seriously hesitating wether I want it or not.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=game+of+thrones&numrev=3&site=

Apparently you don't play with the characters of the show, though. I hate it when game developers do that...

Anyway, it's not getting a lot of positive feedback, so I'm seriously hesitating wether I want it or not.

http://www.gameranki...&numrev=3&site=

I too was really interested in this game when I heard about it. I saw some YouTube footage of it and my heart sank. I was hoping to hear good things about it anyways since the show is so phenomenal. So, it looks like another rush rendition? I may wait until the price drops. Anyways, I have way more ahead of it. Still haven't attacked an RPG on the PS3. I was hoping this would have been it. Looks like Dark Souls or Skyrim for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have it on Xbox, and as a big fan of the show (but haven't read the books), I think it's cool for what it is, but don't expect an epic or grandiose adventure. It's essentially a well-scripted side story, almost as an interactive version of a companion novel to the show that happens to play a lot like Dragon Age. The graphics aren't great, but it's entertaining and definitely keeps the Game of Thrones atmosphere of having crude language, brutal killings, etc. I would recommend fans of the show to pick it up once it hits $40 or below, it's not worth full price right now IMO.

• 1 year later...

I got it on sale for $5. That's about as much as its worth. You will be getting a great story and the combat picks up mid way through the game but the graphics are awful and not acceptable at this point. The fact that they tried to sell it for $60 was a joke. If it didn't have a platinum I can 100% saw that I would not of got it. Even for $5.

• 7 years later...

I am a bit late to the party here, but wanted to chime in anyways for anybody reading this in the future. I do not believe this game was nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

It’s certainly not a great game by any means, and some aspects of the game are just plain lazy. But overall it is quite enjoyable and plays like a cheaper version of Dragon Age: Origins.

The real reason anybody would want to play this however, is the story. As well as making a funny cameo in the game itself, George R. R. Martin penned the story, which is actually quite good and runs concurrent to the events of the first book/first season of the TV show. The game captures the same atmosphere as the TV show, with all the signature violence, crude language and unexpected plot twists the show was known for. The voice acting is also quite excellent and most of the characters featured in the show are voiced by their respective actors which was pretty neat.

Overall, I would not recommend paying too much out of pocket for this experience. But for the hardcore fans of the books/show who may stumble across a cheap copy of this long forgotten RPG, it’s definitely worth checking out and immersing yourself in the wonderful world of Westeros once again! 

• Like 1

I loved the show but hated the game. Theres only a couple characters from the show even in the game. I think tyrian and sansa but the game doesnt realky have anything to do with the show. Its realky boring and i regreted starting it because being a completionist...i had to gruel my way through stupid dialougue and a game that wasnt even close to the show. I would highly suggest staying away from this. 

Im talking about the telltale game. Not sure if theres another game of thrones game. Thats just my 2 cents.

Edited by IvoryRose88

3 minutes ago, IvoryRose88 said:

I loved the show but hated the game. Theres only a couple characters from the show even in the game. I think tyrian and sansa but the game doesnt realky have anything to do with the show. Its realky boring and i regreted starting it because being a completionist...i had to gruel my way through stupid dialougue and a game that wasnt even close to the show. I would highly suggest staying away from this. 

Im talking about the telltale game. Not sure if theres another game of thrones game. Thats just my 2 cents.

Yeah, that’s not the game they’re talking about here ?

7 minutes ago, IvoryRose88 said:

This is the game you are commenting on: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1455-game-of-thrones

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

This is the game you are commenting on: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1455-game-of-thrones

Yeah, for those who don’t know, this is not the Telltale Game of Thrones. This is a long forgotten RPG that was released on the PS3 many years ago and flew under the radar, largely because it’s rather low budget game with poor graphics. The story is excellent, but they kind of phoned in everything else lol.

For this reason I would mostly recommend this to the hardcore Game of Thrones fans who want to immerse themselves in Westeros once again. Unlike the game made by Telltale, this one is actually canon and written by George R. R. Martin (the author of the book series) himself.

The game follows 2 playable characters who are both ex-banner men of House Lannister. There is the gruff and stern Ser Mors Westford, who joined the Night’s Watch after betraying orders from his liege lord and has been freezing his balls off in the North ever since, and Alester Sarwyck, the heir to Riverspring, who fled the realm after the events of Robert’s Rebellion and became a Red Priest of R’hllor. The story begins with him returning back to his lands and castle after his father dies, and of course finding everything in chaos. Everything runs concurrent with the events from the first season of the TV show. It’s pretty neat! ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed the game.  Just platted it yesterday.

I actually thought that people who like Dungeons & Dragons would like this.  Just a lot of specifics about your character stats, and building the character out.

I thought the storyline was fantastic, and due to not having played half of the PS3 and later gen RPGs, I was going to say the combat reminded me of Final Fantasy XII.

There is about 3 trophies that are truly tricky, the rest even if they are missable are still hard to miss.  Overall I just wanted to play more, I would suggest anyone who already has this to go back and finish it.  Not so much challenge perhaps, yet the real "hump" of the game or longest chapter is Chapter 8 as Alester; there simply is so much stuff to do for trophies and sidequests, it just takes a long time.  I definitely recommend listening to the storyline, really immersing yourself in it, its a great experience.  

The combat was fine, I'm just surprised that Squire Difficulty was still pretty challenging, and would hate to have played this on a higher difficulty.

Edited by LegendExeter
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...