Games you liked that not many people did.

Spudchip

KNACK. Loved it, didn't think it was the single greatest game of all time or anything, but there isn't a single thing wrong with this game, and when you consider it's kind of targeted towards children, this game is pretty sweet.

WATCH_DOGS. Again, nowhere near being the best thing ever, but it was a quite enjoyable game. Story kind of lost where it was going a few times and got a bit muddled, but oh well, gameplay wise it was generic with a teeny tiny little trinket of innovation (in the form of spamming square to fuck with everything).

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER. Fuck you. This is the game you all wanted back in the 90s, it just took too long to come out. Everything happening in this game, well most of it anyway, can be seen in the 2001 and earlier trailers, had this game came out then, it probably wouldn't have been regarded as just another bland and generic shooter.

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 5. Again, not the best one. Hell, aside from THPS 1, it's the worst entry in the main series by far (I consider the main series to be THPS1-American Wasteland) but even still, being the worst part of something great isn't that bad. When the game actually works (which I know, was apparently a tall order) it's so much fucking classic old school fun. Had the game released for half the price it came out for, it would have been appreciated a lot more, and deservingly so. Deservingly isn't a word, is it?

Really though, aside from THPS5, these games weren't hated by the masses, just regarded as disappointments really. 

Too many to count...

DmC (favorite hack n slash this gen, easily)

007 Legends

Clive Barker's Jericho

Amy

FF13 and 13-2

Tales of Xillia (a lot of tales fans think its the weakest in the series, I think it's one of the best)

DBZ Battle of Z

DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi

Sonic Unleashed

Army of Two Devils Cartel

Duke Nukem Forever

Transformers Dark Spark

Force Unleashed 2

Lords of Shadow 2

I could keep going on and on... but the moral of the story is that I enjoy most games, critically acclaimed or not lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

Having reached the tail end of Assassin’s Creed IV, I’ve realised that Assassin’s Creed III is my favourite so far.  When I get there, I’m thinking Syndicate will become my favourite as my penchant for Victorian England gives it an immediate leg up.

Not to say Black Flag isn’t great, because it obviously is, but it wasn’t the tour de force that had been herald.  My fault for taking so long to get to it I think and collective praise resulting in lofty expectations.

Back to III;

I originally played it back on release day, blasting through the story sequences in a day.  I still remember the twist at the end of Sequence 3, it sending an actual shiver down my spine (equal to the shiver I felt at the end of II when Minerva addressed Desmond directly and addressed Ezio as baggage) – I hadn’t seen this coming and it instantly shone a whole new light on what you had been doing up to this point.  The Templars had finally not been painted as comically evil and actually cast some challenge on the Assassin ideals.

Viewing the beginning sequences again now, knowing what I do really added a new layer to the game.

This time I also got far too involved with hunting animals, with far more creatures skinned than I needed to – and reaffirmed that I still have that streak in me.  I recall when Red Dead Redemption arrived I spent the first ten hours hunting animals.

III introduced sailing, and I feel it is stronger here than in IV because whenever you take the helm it is for a reason.  If Connor dons his Captain hat there’s some clowns that need tending to on the open sea.

Edward’s meandering voyages in comparison lack the gravity of when Connor sets sail.  Neither is better than the other, but I personally like the direct purpose more than the ‘stumbling upon adventure’ feel.

Desmond’s future sections were the best they ever had been, although I concede that the option for Desmond to become Moses was quite conceited.  The canon I really liked him becoming a martyr though, except I can’t understand why his father couldn’t intercept.  The argument before was he couldn’t be in the Animus.

The allying with Haytham was a nice exploration of character too – where Connor becomes the son for a while as opposed to the Assassin.   With the contrast of Haytham never losing sight of his being a Templar and manipulating Connor to his advantage.  

The conflict inside Connor as he struggles with how he feels to his people, his Creed and his family is a brilliant juxtaposition to a country that is being torn apart from the inside also.  A country coming of age and trying to find a place for itself in the world is a fantastic parallel to watching a boy initially bewildered by the world growing into his role as a man.

To the negatives and my views on them;

One massive thing that I had hoped had been exaggerated in my head since my initial play and witnessing again recently was the sudden change of character one of Haytham’s allies exhibits when meeting him for the first time as Connor.  Charles Lee literally goes from helper of the people to a child kicking, village burning psychopath in ten minutes of real time.

I also appreciate that Connor is described as monotonous or passionless, but I approached it from the view that English is this person’s language.  Take it from me, speaking English (or maybe any other language) when it is not our primary can sometimes lead you to speaking extremely deliberately; especially when you are exploring the breadth of the vocabulary and not just speaking common terms.

This may not have been intentional on Ubisoft’s part, but I felt it added a nice detail to the character.  I also remember the slew of excuses being made for Altair and his inability to swim, even going so as to claim his armour was too heavy.  I found the focus on Connor’s speech out of kilter in comparison.

Additionally, Connor is acting solely from the perspective of what is right for his people.  Duty.  Duty is almost never partnered with passion; it is a firm belief or core tenant of a person – which would sometimes lead him to appear stoic.  Although again, I think this being of ill repute is again exaggerated. Connor had more than his fair share of outbursts too.

The game also still has glaring bugs and glitches which are still not fixed to this day – and I don’t see how that is acceptable.  That is a massive negative and this was the first game to really exhibit this. 

Oops.  This turned into a bit of a discussion piece.

Edited by LastPisTolman

Lb8f8ea.png

Received mixed reviews from the so-called expert critics (GameSpot can go blow itself for the 4/10 rating) but maintains high replay value thanks to Co-op battle mode, where players can complete missions together. Nice selection of levels to wreck havoc on and a fun little beat 'em up for DBZ fans.  ;)

Edited by AdventCloud7

Well, I'm not sure if it really counts, but I've always been a big fan of the Pikmin games since the first release back in 2001-2002. The games definitely don't seem to be "disliked", but I rarely ever come across people that have even heard of them, never mind played them. My significant other recently ordered a copy of Pikmin 3 after the price cuts on certain Nintendo titles, but aside from that, I've never come across any other people in the offline world that have played the games, even self-proclaimed "Nintendo nerds" such as two old casual friends of mine.

Assuming Pikmin doesn't count, I've also enjoyed Deadly Premonition, Kirby Air Ride and Dead Island. I know this weren't exactly the most "popular" or "adored" of video games.

The Order: 1886 - Not the best game but it didn't deserve all the hate it got. I loved the cinematic elements

Assassin's Creed: Unity - I didn't have issues with bugs like everyone else did at launch, and I liked the new characters and story and loved the French setting

Watch Dogs - I enjoyed this almost more than Grand Theft Auto V because I really liked the hacking based game play

Sonic Lost World - I don't know why people are so meh about this one. In my opinion it's the best 3D Sonic game since Adventure 2

Dragon Age 2 - This game was so much less complicated for me so I could actually beat it unlike Origins, and I had a great time with the story and really loved the characters.

Edited by Lord_Shadow_Z

• 7 months later...

The Order: 1886- Don't understand all the hate it got, even if it was a short game. It's one of my favorite PS4 games in general, I liked a lot about it. The graphics were great as well.

Datura- It was a fun short PSN indie game, was definitely a nice interesting little game. My only complaint was the controls being a little weird at times, but that's it.

Legend of Kay: I don't know if it's actually hated or not, but it definitely is an underrated gem. Played the remastered version on PS4. Not the best, but I had a good time with it.

Resistance: Burning Skies- I've heard it's an average FPS, but when I played it, I was surprised at how fun it was. It's a fun Vita FPS, not bad at all. The MP was okay as well, I only played for the trophy though.

Knack- It was actually a decent enough game. It was challenging at times, but I didn't mind. I'd like more original IPs like this to come out on PS4.

Edited by Kat

G.I. Joe for PS2 (also on PS3). Hated it at first. But when I saw GameStop would give me dirt for selling the game back, I just dealt with it. After some time, you get used to the gameplay and get to liking it. It's just a difficult game to get into, but once you're in, it's pretty decent.

The Order: 1886 - I really liked this game. Sure, it was pretty short but it was an awesome experience: cool story, (relatively) relatable characters, beautiful graphics and an awesome setting.

WATCH_DOGS - I loved WATCH_DOGS. The story was super fun but just roaming around in the open world and doing side-missions was even more fun. I just started GTA V a week or two ago and I can say that so far I surely enjoyed WATCH_DOGS more :P.

Call of Duty Ghosts - Sure, it's not the best Call of Duty out there but it certainly didn't deserve the massive hate it got. On top of that, I enjoyed Ghosts far more than Black Ops 3 and the Infinite Warfare Beta.

Rainbow Six Siege - Wasn't the final product everyone hoped for and the beta certainly looked better than the game now but it's still a really enjoyable multiplayer experience.

Amnesia: Memories - Seems that most people that played this on IGC either hated it and/or just skipped through everything for the trophies.  I actually really enjoyed the story (except for one path anyway).

Fable III - Yes, the last third of the game sucks if you weren't prepared ahead of time, but for those of us with an overflowing royal treasury, it was a fitting end to a great series.

The Cave - Not sure why this one wasn't well received - loved the dark humor and felt like the puzzles were spot on.

Game of Thrones and Minecraft Story Mode - While Minecraft Story Mode may have been relatively shallow compared to other Telltale games, I had a lot of fun adventuring with Jesse, Axel, and company.  IMO, Game of Thrones may not stand with season one of The Walking Dead or Tales from the Borderlands, but it is in that next tier.

Suikoden IV and Xenosaga II - The sophomore slumps for both series (at least on the PS2), but I really enjoyed each.  Loved the nautical theme in Suikoden and the more personal story focus on Gaignun, Rubedo, and Albedo made me wish that Monolith would have stuck to it's original plans to release the Xenosaga series in 5 or 6 games.

Edited by awf9495