CONFIRMED: Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 Coming to Last Gen Systems!

Straight from Activision's Blog:

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 has been designed to harness the full potential of the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. However, we know that there are still some fans that haven’t made the transition to the new console hardware, which is why we’re happy to share that we're working with developers Beenox and Mercenary Technology on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Xbox 360 and PS3 players will be able to experience Call of Duty: Black Ops 3’s gameplay across campaign, multiplayer and zombies. While the teams are working to deliver the best possible experience for Xbox 360 and PS3, naturally there will be some differences across generations. For instance, the campaign mode on Xbox 360 and PS3 is currently in development with a goal of enabling two-player cooperative play, instead of the four-player cooperative campaign on next-gen. There will also be some other features and functionality built specifically for the new generation of consoles that cannot be supported on Xbox 360 and PS3. We'll be sharing more information regarding feature differences from one console generation to another later this year as launch on November 6 approaches. Also, it should be noted that there's no version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 for Nintendo Wii U planned.

Read more here: https://blog.activision.com/community/games-blog/call-of-duty/blog/2015/06/09/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-is-coming-to-xbox-360-and-playstation-3

Gonna pre-order this friday!

• Like 1

Respect to them for not forgetting people who haven't upgraded, I'll get this on ps4 but I'm glad people who have a PS3 will be able to play it, who said last gen is dead? ^.^

I knew this was going to happen. Since they announced this for PS4.XBONE only, there was a lot (and I mean A LOT) of people who can't upgrade yet still playing their older systems, and with that, a lot of their fan base is still very active on the last gen systems. With this move, they'll now be able to play the newest installment. I'm happy this is happening.

If it's going to be as shitty as CoD: AW on old gen consoles, then they shouldn't bother with a half ass version. I'll rather get the true experience on current gen.

This version has different developers. Maybe It's just port work, but this is something they didn't do for the last gen versions of Ghosts and AW. I wouldn't expect it to be on par with current gen versions. Like... at all.

I hope this doesn't downgrade the PS4 version. Nevertheless, i am still excited for this game as i haven't played a COD game that looks fun since MW2.

I think we'll see CoD on old gen consoles for a long time. Activision wants to get as much money as they can before the franchise dies.

This is a common misconception so many gamers have. "Because there is a last gen version, It holds back the current gen." People thought Dying Light was gonna be so much better because last gen versions were canceled, but it didn't delay the release date of current gen at all. It takes forever to harness the power of a new generation of consoles. I'm sure it's gonna run really well on PS4 and Xbone, but just too much for PS360 to handle. Which is why they're using different developers to downgrade the game to run on last gen.

This version has different developers. Maybe It's just port work, but this is something they didn't do for the last gen versions of Ghosts and AW. I wouldn't expect it to be on par with current gen versions. Like... at all.

AW was handled by a different Devs. Ghost was actually a pretty good version on old consoles. Too bad it was the worst CoD in terms of Multiplayer and story. The only decent part was Aliens.

AW's version was just terrible on PS3 so if that is what to be expected from BO3 on PS3 than I'll rather get it on PS4.

As a man that hasn't converted to next gen yet, I am thrilled to hear about this! I definitely plan on buying this when it comes out. The co-op campaign is going to be interesting. I remember co-op campaign being fun on World at War so we will see. Overall, this made my day.  

• Like 1

As long as its being made as next-gen priority then I don't really care. But there's going to be a point very soon where no matter how much you downgrade the game, people on last gen will have to be left behind. 

Coop campaign...? That is interesting.

This has been confirmed since the first few days... Considering they haven't done this since World at War or will be interesting to how it works out.

I'm guessing trophies will be solo only though.

• 1 month later...

No they don't. Easy to say that when you have a PS4. I don't care for a PS4 to be honest. I'm happy enough with PS3. Although I know that sooner or later developers will move on to PS4 only and that's ok because that's how it works, but Black Ops 3 makes sense to be released on PS3 considering the other 2 are on PS3 and it completes the Trilogy. Plus there are still many people with a PS3 that will buy Black Ops 3

No they don't. Easy to say that when you have a PS4. I don't care for a PS4 to be honest. I'm happy enough with PS3. Although I know that sooner or later developers will move on to PS4 only and that's ok because that's how it works, but Black Ops 3 makes sense to be released on PS3 considering the other 2 are on PS3 and it completes the Trilogy. Plus there are still many people with a PS3 that will buy Black Ops 3

I don't think they have any interest in completing a trilogy by releasing it on PS3. I think they'll half arse the PS3 port, just like Shadow of Mordor. When they have to strip features off to just about get it to work, you're not going to get the full experience. Using developers that should be developing their own respective franchises (Like Beenox and Spiderman) is a complete waste too. They're not going to drop last gen because it's the older generation, they're going to drop last gen when these games simply won't be able to be supported by PS3's dated hardware, which is approaching faster than expected.

Also, I'm glad that they won't be toning down the PS4 version just to make it identical to the PS3 version (Ala Destiny).

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 1