How is this platinum Ultra Rare?

SkyesUnholy

I've played the first couple of missions for this game a while ago but got sidetracked and haven't returned to it since.

I didn't find the mechanics of the game to be too hard to pick up and I actually thought this platinum would be around 20% (rare/uncommon). Is the game actually difficult, grindy, or did a lot of people just get bored and stalled midway, somewhat like I did?

Thanks for any and all replies ^-^

It requires at least 2 playthroughs, one of which is recommended to be a master/custom difficulty run with no damage, no extra upgrades and never being seen. That's enough to dissuade a lot of people from going for it. Of course the people who don't care about trophies but will still play it will be a factor in the rarity too.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it was a PS+ game too a couple months ago I believe which is probably a big factor as well.

Edited by ScutumMagister
  • Like 2

To add to what Scutum said, there is also a trophy for accessing and discovering all secret areas in the game. There is a large number of secret areas, plus there are no way to track what secret areas you've been too unlike the other type of collectibles in the game (collectible sets).

It's the curse of the IGC. IGC games are a lot rarer than they should be. The game is pretty simple, but it's very tedious. It's very easy to replay the first level and get all the gold you need for weapon/armour upgrades. With a proper guide, the collectibles part is easy too. The most difficult part of the game, for me at least, was staying interested long enough. I bought the PS4 version on sale a while back and still haven't gotten the platinum because it just gets tedious after a while. I enjoy grinding, but this game just doesn't feel like grinding as usual.

• Like 2

The game is easy enough to get the hang of. There are few areas where it would take a bit of luck and skill to get through, especially on Master/Custom. Also most people who got this on IGC played it for a bit before deleting it, which led to the rarity you mentioned. There are also some trophies that can be a chore to get, such as collecting all "hidden items", which combined with a stealth playthrough can be a pain.

Its a really boring game. I can't iagine how tedious a plat of this would be.

Its one of the only games ever I can think of I actually completely stopped playing because it was boring, usually I get distracted by other games or ecause its too glitchy, but this has that special place of being itself on its own it coulld put me off playing.

It requires at least 2 playthroughs, one of which is recommended to be a master/custom difficulty run with no damage, no extra upgrades and never being seen. That's enough to dissuade a lot of people from going for it. Of course the people who don't care about trophies but will still play it will be a factor in the rarity too.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it was a PS+ game too a couple months ago I believe which is probably a big factor as well.

Reminds me of the Shadow Ranger trophy in Metro: Last Light (which I've earned, by the way) which requires you to go through the entire campaign without killing a single human except for the guy at the end that has a flamethrower. That challenge for Thief for the platinum makes it one that I want to go for.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the Shadow Ranger trophy in Metro: Last Light (which I've earned, by the way) which requires you to go through the entire campaign without killing a single human except for the guy at the end that has a flamethrower. That challenge for Thief for the platinum makes it one that I want to go for.

Haha and that trophy in Metro: Last Light makes me want to check it out. That reminds me too, you can't knock anyone out in the custom/master playthrough either.

Thief was pretty fun, I got the plat for the PS4 version and 1000/1000 on Xbox One on a previous ID.

Haha and that trophy in Metro: Last Light makes me want to check it out. That reminds me too, you can't knock anyone out in the custom/master playthrough either.

Thief was pretty fun, I got the plat for the PS4 version and 1000/1000 on Xbox One on a previous ID.

That makes it more fun then, since the Shadow Ranger trophy doesn't allow killing people, but you CAN knock them out.

• 2 months later...

I downloaded Thief a few months ago via PS+, but have yet to actually start playing it.  Is it worth playing on PS3, or is it more advisable to hold off until I buy a PS4 and then play it?  Is there any real benefit to waiting for PS4, aside from the obvious graphical upgrade?  I'm surely better off playing the free PS3 version of Thief, rather than paying out for a PS4 upgrade of a PS3 game that I've already gotten for 'free'?

I downloaded Thief a few months ago via PS+, but have yet to actually start playing it.  Is it worth playing on PS3, or is it more advisable to hold off until I buy a PS4 and then play it?  Is there any real benefit to waiting for PS4, aside from the obvious graphical upgrade?  I'm surely better off playing the free PS3 version of Thief, rather than paying out for a PS4 upgrade of a PS3 game that I've already gotten for 'free'?

Don't spend any money on this game, there's hardly a noticeable difference anyway

Prepare yourself for tons of collectibles and an atrocious map lay out

68/100

• 2 weeks later...

This game is really, really tediously boring. It is actually impressive how bad it is and the fact that the plat is ultra rare is a reflection of that. Here we have a game that:

-Has no multiplayer

-Has less than 100 Collectibles

-Platinum can be earned in under 30 hours.

-Has a difficulty rating of 4/10.

So why, when you consider those facts, is the platinum ultra-rare? The answer is because the game is just boring and tedious, lots of loading screens and running around the hub ad nauseum trying to learn the map and also to earn the platinum in an efficient time you really have to follow guides studiously, basically you need to be watching video walkthroughs from the moment you start playing or that 30 hour plat can easily baloon into 60+ hours because any time you spend playing without a guide will more likely than not give you no real trophy progress.

• 3 months later...

This game is really, really tediously boring. It is actually impressive how bad it is and the fact that the plat is ultra rare is a reflection of that. Here we have a game that:

-Has no multiplayer

-Has less than 100 Collectibles

-Platinum can be earned in under 30 hours.

-Has a difficulty rating of 4/10.

So why, when you consider those facts, is the platinum ultra-rare? The answer is because the game is just boring and tedious, lots of loading screens and running around the hub ad nauseum trying to learn the map and also to earn the platinum in an efficient time you really have to follow guides studiously, basically you need to be watching video walkthroughs from the moment you start playing or that 30 hour plat can easily baloon into 60+ hours because any time you spend playing without a guide will more likely than not give you no real trophy progress.

Perfect take.

I still haven't gotten around to finishing it...and I have put myself through much worse. Pretty sad, as this game could've been special.

• 2 months later...

The game is horrible and boring. It is like being tortured by playing this game. Also the game crash easily on PS3, and if that happens during the auto-save, too bad your save file is corrupt. That's what happen to me when I beat the main story and try to work on side quest. This game is defiantly a GOTY (Garbage of The Year) back to the day.

• 2 months later...

Well, i loved this game. Yeah the map is horrific, but i did enjoy this on PS3. I got the Plat. I bought it today for $4.99 in the PS store for PS4. I don't think i will go for the Platinum though. It depends. Those secret areas were a bitch with no way to track them, but when the last one popped, i was on a rope in chapter 8. I like stealth games, so i can get into this again. Maybe after getting most Uncharted 4 trophies.