How is this platinum Ultra Rare?

SkyesUnholy

The game mechanics are fine, is the story I have problems with. So far the trophies haven't bothered me much, I have the app's maps saved on my PC to make sure I find every side road and collectible in the way. Still midway my first playthrough.

I downloaded Thief a few months ago via PS+, but have yet to actually start playing it.  Is it worth playing on PS3, or is it more advisable to hold off until I buy a PS4 and then play it?  Is there any real benefit to waiting for PS4, aside from the obvious graphical upgrade?  I'm surely better off playing the free PS3 version of Thief, rather than paying out for a PS4 upgrade of a PS3 game that I've already gotten for 'free'?

Just stick with the freebie and if you like it, maybe you'll want to play it again on PS4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

People that say this game is boring should stay with Assassins Creed or Hitman or other wannabe stealth games...

I played the first 3 Thief Games...so.Thief4 was a must have...

Ok...Thief4 doesnt reach the other games from the series...but its still a full stealth game...

You have to sneak to win...not running stupid into a crowd of 4 guards and kill them with ease like in nobrain ac...

So the game is lesser boring the higher is the level of difficulty...

I enjoyed the playthrough on 700+ Master Difficulty...finding ways to beat the level...i played with no alarms no ko/kills and no damage...what a brainfuck! ^^

Some parts were a pain in the ass but i managed it...in a perfect walktrough.

Suspicious count is Zero!

All Loot

This in combination was really hard work on 700+Master

But i agree that the Mapdesign and travelling was crappy...ant the general was a lame scripted villain...boring...

But i dont missed a fast travelling...this is for lame Users. I dont use fast travelling even when its implemented in a game...it kills the feeling

Edited by Rabenritter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabenritter said:

People that say this game is boring should stay with Assassins Creed or Hitman or other wannabe stealth games...

I played the first 3 Thief Games...so.Thief4 was a must have...

Ok...Thief4 doesnt reach the other games from the series...but its still a full stealth game...

You have to sneak to win...not running stupid into a crowd of 4 guards and kill them with ease like in nobrain ac...

So the game is lesser boring the higher is the level of difficulty...

I enjoyed the playthrough on 700+ Master Difficulty...finding ways to beat the level...i played with no alarms no ko/kills and no damage...what a brainfuck! ^^

Some parts were a pain in the ass but i managed it...in a perfect walktrough.

Suspicious count is Zero!

All Loot

This in combination was really hard work on 700+Master

But i agree that the Mapdesign and travelling was crappy...ant the general was a lame scripted villain...boring...

But i dont missed a fast travelling...this is for lame Users. I dont use fast travelling even when its implemented in a game...it kills the feeling

This is a really odd attitude, given that of your 26 played games, 7 are Assassins Creed Games and 4 are Hitman games - and a lot of those are platinums... you obviously like those games enough to keep buying and playing them

I think Thief suffers from the release of Dishonored. Its hars to go back to a game that is stuck in 1990's stealth mechanics when there are other games that have taken those concepts and built them into so much more. I think the Styx games suffer for this a bit too, but Thief more so because the aesthetic is a little more similar to Dishonored.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4.07.2017 at 5:58 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

This is a really odd attitude, given that of your 26 played games, 7 are Assassins Creed Games and 4 are Hitman games - and a lot of those are platinums... you obviously like those games enough to keep buying and playing them

I think Thief suffers from the release of Dishonored. Its hars to go back to a game that is stuck in 1990's stealth mechanics when there are other games that have taken those concepts and built them into so much more. I think the Styx games suffer for this a bit too, but Thief more so because the aesthetic is a little more similar to Dishonored.

Or simply because Dishonored is the simplest game of the three you've just mentioned. And that Thief has a hell lot of collectibles (sets of collectibles, secret ares) and a difficulty related trophy, which isn't very easy. Especially if you aren't the big fan of stealth game, or you don't know the game. But that makes all of the effort put into Thief trophies more rewarding :)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm actually surprised people find this to be a horrible game.

Picked it up for just a few euros a few months ago, because I finally wanted to give it a shot.

Although the idea is pretty neat and picking up valuables everywhere scratches that typical hoarding itch many gamers have, I'll say this much about Thief:

- The map layout for the hub is awful. I was able to find my way around everywhere eventually, but replaying chapters is a pain in the ass (because you need to revisit the actual exit points on the map).

- Loads of loading screens. Sometimes just for a few streets. What the hell.

- The City (the hub) feels empty and dead.

- Story and script are really weak, and doesn't make any sense at all sometimes. For instance, during the prologue, Garrett criticizes her by saying she's not in control of her actions, to which her reply is: "That's why I'm better than you" or something. Really? How does that make any sense? Those script writers need to get the boot.

- Trophy related remark: having so many collectibles (both the actual unique valuables and the secret areas make up for a total of 150+ "collectibles") is one of the things I dread the most in a trophy list. It's incredibly time-absorbing and mind-numbing.

You can tell this game was developed for the previous console generation's hardware, and then it got ported to the current one. But ... I did enjoy some things as well:

+ The grounded experience of being an actual thief: finding alternate routes, lockpicking, pickpocketing, discovering the secrets hidden behind paintings, putting out candles to conceal your presence, disarming traps, solving puzzles, shooting up rope arrows, running across rooftops, ... I enjoyed all of it. Then again, I love the MGS franchise, so I'm into the stealth genre.

+ The challenge mode is pretty cool as well: going from corner to corner hoarding valuables at maximum speed trying to achieve the biggest score possible. I think that was a great addition.

+ The setting of a few chapters was interesting: the brothel and asylum come to mind.

TL:DR: Creatively speaking, it's a really good game. Technically speaking, it's mostly a terrible mess.

At the end of the day, it's not a bad game, but just a really mediocre one which could've been amazing. So in terms of a rating: 6/10 if we're being generous. If you want to play an actual bad game, try out Agony, Risen 2 or Mindjack. I played those among other atrocities, and oh boy. You'll be begging to play Thief instead.

Oh, and also: I'm super close to getting the platinum trophy! I'll probably get it a few days after this post, because my custom master run is the only obstacle that's left to conquer.

I'm currently playing through this and have just finished Chapter 5. Wasn't expecting anything like a haunted asylum to be in the game.

On the whole I'm enjoying it, but there is one thing in particular that really bugs me: the way the thieving challenges are awarded. I'm aware you can only get 2/4 for each chapter, but what annoys me is that your playstyle invalidates two of those challenges at the end of the mission. So for example, I could complete a chapter without being detected (Ghost Challenge) and having collected all the loot (Universal), but if I knocked out a few guards and the game decides I was going down the Predator route, I may end up with only 1/4 challenges accounted for because I didn't necessarily meet the requirements for the Predator challenge (whatever it might have been). So all that effort I've put into remaining undetected is completely wasted.

Case in point - I got through the Asylum totally undetected yet I knocked out a few of the inmates along the way. On the last stretch, I was injured by one of those creatures swiping from behind the doors as they were alerted when the levers were pulled. When I completed the mission, the game decided I had gone the Opportunist route and, since I had failed the Opportunist challenge (take no damage), I ended up with 0/4 challenges complete despite having met the conditions for the Ghost challenge.

I'm enjoying the game enough to carry on towards the platinum but I don't like the idea of having to replay missions just to rack up Thieving Challenges when I've technically already earned them.

I played the game a few years ago. It was so average and plain that I apparently finished the whole story and didn't even remember that I did so. I also hate anything remotely scary in any game but I even made it past the asylum part with nothing memorable ever happening. I say that because I don't remember playing the game. I saw my trophies that told me I made it to the end (old account). I did? I remember it being really dark and there being no real combat. That's about it. I'm not saying it's bad or anything; obviously I liked it enough at some point to finish the story. But it is nothing special to the point of being almost painful.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Ok i thought I also can say why it’s an ultra rare tho I don’t have the platinum yet....

First of all I like this game because the atmosphere is amazing and anything with stealth involved I will instantly enjoy.

The annoying part is the collectebels oh my god in the weekend I just needed to take a brake from it cause its ridiculous to navigate the map. So I did the side missions first and challenges in order to learn the map better and come back to it. Honestly why didn’t they include fast travel?? For anyone attempting I don’t recommend it’s a painful ride....otherwise dishonored was a much better game.

• 1 year later...

I think the % is so low because the game runs horrible most of the mechanics not working when you need them to work sound is gone i dont even know what this game is about after chapter 5 started to skip all cutscenes cant hear a thing anyway the combat is a joke from about 500 platinums i can say this is the worst stealth game on my list ps3 version is almost unplayable i really need to take breaks between each level because this game make me quit every 20-30minutes usually i would do everything in one run but its just too bad aggressive bugs also had to restart the game since my save got blackscreen bugged when ever i tried to continue or i spawn out of map and cant move idk how many times i had to replay a part of the game just because it bugged out again its easy just unplayable at most times 

48 minutes ago, schwarzparker1 said:

I think the % is so low because the game runs horrible most of the mechanics not working when you need them to work sound is gone i dont even know what this game is about after chapter 5 started to skip all cutscenes cant hear a thing anyway the combat is a joke from about 500 platinums i can say this is the worst stealth game on my list ps3 version is almost unplayable i really need to take breaks between each level because this game make me quit every 20-30minutes usually i would do everything in one run but its just too bad aggressive bugs also had to restart the game since my save got blackscreen bugged when ever i tried to continue or i spawn out of map and cant move idk how many times i had to replay a part of the game just because it bugged out again its easy just unplayable at most times 

The game runs fine with with me and never seen any glitches, the only problem is the convoluted map.

39 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

The game runs fine with with me and never seen any glitches, the only problem is the convoluted map.

I didn’t got a single encounter in the game where it doesn’t start lagging and i have constantly bugs or freezing talking to NPC is already too much for the game sometimes and i have to restart because the seller menu doesn’t open and i cant press nothing anymore but PlayStation botton loading back to older save data is a gamble and if you last autosave glitching there is no way to load an older save from the main menu the ps3 version shouldn’t exist this is worse then cyberpunk and fallout 76 on release and this game is out forever you must be the most lucky person to play this without any bugs or your play style is to avoid all combat idk sorry for my bad gramma i still learn

11 minutes ago, schwarzparker1 said:

I didn’t got a single encounter in the game where it doesn’t start lagging and i have constantly bugs or freezing talking to NPC is already too much for the game sometimes and i have to restart because the seller menu doesn’t open and i cant press nothing anymore but PlayStation botton loading back to older save data is a gamble and if you last autosave glitching there is no way to load an older save from the main menu the ps3 version shouldn’t exist this is worse then cyberpunk and fallout 76 on release and this game is out forever you must be the most lucky person to play this without any bugs or your play style is to avoid all combat idk sorry for my bad gramma i still learn

I had zero problems with how this game ran and I did both ps3 and ps4 versions.  You might have something else going on

11 minutes ago, DerelictSoul said:

I had zero problems with how this game ran and I did both ps3 and ps4 versions.  You might have something else going on

Im using the download version of the game and im also playing allot other games on ps3 this game is very idk the word for it stutters and in combat laggs go wild when ever someone talks in the game i can barely understand anything this is almost the hole time so i have just a horrible time with this game im happy when i finally got platinum so i never have to play it again getting headaches from this game 

• 5 months later...

I played this game in two stretches, first one I got halfway through and the second I finished the game. I've gotta say, it's not exactly boring, it's just very frustrating at times, especially with the mazy hub map and the sheer amount of enemies always looking for you there. I still need to grind a lot of things (collectibles, gold, secret areas) so I'm not feeling very encouraged. It's definitely one of those somewhat niche titles that people will rarely get around to.