Essential PS3 Games

GaryHyphenJon

Because most PS3 games are now either constantly on sale or really cheap (either on the PSN Store, or on disc), I'm wanting to make a collection of the essential PS3 games.  Specifically I'm talking about the ones people will look back on in years to come.

I've already got most of the exclusives as well as Skyrim, Fallout and Assassins Creed 2 among others.

Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Uncharted series.

Much hate for the original one?

That is essentially the thing that needs to be as 100th Plat.

I don't hate it, but I didn't include it because it's my least favorite, and if someone were to start the Nep series there, it would most likely skew their opinion in the wrong direction by judging every title as if it played like the first. It happens way too often, and Neptunia already gets enough flak from reviewers.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, Soul Calibur II HD and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles were so great they were brought back for PS3. Have to play those. ;) Would also include Tales of Xillia and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:  All-Star Battle (More of a must rent. Fairly short, but I liked it.)

There's so many, but I'll just put down ones I have personally played. Not all of these are the best games, but they do really tell a story of what types of games were out there on the PS3:

Fallout 3 (Or Fallout: New Vegas): I think it's technically an RPG (I say this with heistation because people get really picky about RPG classifications :P ) but it has an incredible dynamic where you can truly go through the game however you want.

Bioshock: I'm currently playing through Bioshock and it's up there with a beautiful world and even better story paired with excellent and challenging gameplay. This series has span throughout Playstatoin 3, so it's a nice way to see how it changed.

Assassin's Creed (I recommend II) This series is still going strong and is branching over to PS4.

Batman (If you had to pick one, I'd go with Asylum): This game is a superhero game done right. Asylum is the smallest of the three, but it has all the basics there. Story-wise, I preferred Origin's, but the world was a little open for my liking.

Borderlands 2: I personally don't understand the lackluster responses to Borderlands, but the second does introduce to the lasting character of Handsome Jack. If Borderlands was a TV show, 1 would be the pilot episode and 2 the actual episode (Has been ported to PS4)

Far Cry 3: This is the first good one (or so I've heard) of the Far Cry series. I personally loved the 'bad guy' in it.

Homefront: because if enough people play it they might put the servers back on (Just me being bitter about the possible sequel)

Playstation Battle All-Stars: Just so you know why people still go to the Wii for super smash brothers

A Telltale Game (I recommend the walking dead): Just so you remember that gameplay isn't everything

Skyrim: Another bethesda game. Similar to Fallout, but a much more typical historical environment.

Thomas was alone: Just so you remember that graphics isn't everything :P (Seriously one of my favorite Indy titles)

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: Just so you remember that trophies isn't everything

Duke Nukum Forever: It took 12 years to make, someone has to enjoy it.

Of course, some of these are on PS4 or other platforms. You also can't forget other iconic series such as Uncharted, GTA, COD, tomb raider, etc. Basically if it had a series name to it, I recommend trying at least one.

Hands down the game you need MOST in a "Last-gen" collection is Dead Space 2 (The game is damn flawless and is a ton of fun to come back to)

This and Dark Souls are my two favorite ps3 games hands down.

A few Indies that I haven't seen mentioned but I personally loved:

Braid

Limbo

Rogue Legacy

These 3 will always have space on my system, and I'm pretty neurotic about about deleting stuff I've finished.

• 6 months later...