Oculus Rift + Microsoft

Satoshi Ookami

On their E3 conference, Oculus announced partnership with Microsoft and demonstrated XBone controller as a main controller to Oculus Rift.

What it means is that Oculus most likely decided to join PC + Microsoft side in VR and most likely abandon Sony's part.

So it most likely means that for us, Project Morpheus is the last possibility of virtual reality on Sony consoles.

Personally I dont see a reason for VR anyway ... I mean, an eroge would be nice ... but, what else?

Maybe its just a "Flavor of the month" thing, like the android-console "OUYA".

And then when it is available nobody is caring about anyway. :)

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

I'd put this down to confidence.

Sony outsold Microsoft with the PS4 over the Xbox One, and Sony probably felt that wave of momentum and had a heck of a lot of confidence into creating a new product. Meanwhile, Microsoft hears this news and instead of challenging Sony with their own new product, they look to an already established product that is well received and decides to make a deal for a collaboration. Of course it's a win-win for both Microsoft and Oculus.

Just my view on the matter :P

• Like 1

Um can we please stay away from the term "Xbone"? It makes me cringe every time I read it somewhere. Anyway I guess it's a good idea to try and get the Oculus on their side since it seems to be "the next big thing" and it could help drive sales since we all know the PS4 is a beast when it comes to its worldwide sales. Plus I see a lot more opportunity for VR to expand immensely on the PC. It seems Microsoft is getting their act together and actually using their head when it comes to winning over the consumers who want the supposed next big thing in gaming. Good for them.

• Like 1

Personally I dont see a reason for VR anyway ... I mean, an eroge would be nice ... but, what else?

Um... what would you need more?

I mean, that's all you need. =D

But eroge is Morpheus' field =)

Its only able to stream xbox games, it can't natively play them. 

It makes sense, since OR needs its own games to be made.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Thats awesome, the XBO controller is the only one I don't own yet so I'm excited to have one soon.

However the XBO itself doesn't have enough juice to power an oculus rift (the oculus runs natively at 1440p and XBO has trouble reaching 1080 in most games, I don't know how its going to pull off VR which is double the pixels. I'm even skeptical PS4 can handle morpheous at this point since VR needs a framerate of 75fps+ to work well.

1. Sony has project Morpheus, and I'd rather have the console developer working on the VR as well. 

2. Oculus (Facebook) announced at least a month ago dropping support for everything except Windows, including Mac and Linux.

3. Microsoft, starting with Windows 10, is trying to make Windows Phones, PC's, tablets and even their Xbones all run in a unified fashion. Same applications, games, most everything.

Even though it's really not, I'm expecting all this stuff to be Gen 1 quality. I'll pick it Morpheus if/when Gen 2 comes out and it's super cheap.