How is remote play?

PleaseHoldOn

I've been playing around with Steam In-Home Streaming, with mixed results.  Since it uses my home network, if the signal strength is weak or the stupid router just flat out doesn't work for some reason... the performance is really bad.  Video quality is low, latency causes things to jump around.  I used it yesterday when a few friends were over and we were just hanging out, and despite that, I was surprised how fun it was to sneak some gaming in while we just watched television and hung out

Which got me thinking, you can do something similar with the Vita and the PS4, right?  That remote play thing.  I don't have a Vita, but I'm thinking about getting one (both because of this and because there are at least a few games I'd want for it).

How does remote play between the Vita and the PS4 work?  Does it utilize my wireless internet, which can be weak or not work at times... or is it more like the Wii U and it's gamepad where they are connected through some other means and is pretty much a 1:1 picture on the gamepad of what the console is pumping out?  Is there general connection lag?  Does it work well?  Appreciate any insight guys.

• Like 2

Coming from someone who has tried the majority of the streaming solutions out there I'd say it's acceptable but not great, I believe it utilizes its own connection directly to the PS4 (Or your router) but there was no way to choose since it picks automatically. I've also had stability issues even while I'm in the same room with it using 60FPS.

The bitrate cannot be customized aside from a "high" and "normal" setting and therefore results in the worst video quality of the three, you get compression artifacts along with a lower resolution to play with (downscaled to exactly 540p) which may make reading small text a little more difficult than usual. The OLED screen still looks quite nice if you have the 1000 model though.

The Vita lacks support for a 5GHz signal which is the cause for much of the instability imo. (2.4GHz signals are slower and prone to interference)

You probably already know that the Vita lacks clickable analogs and triggers, the touch mapping works well enough as a replacement but it cant keep up with physical triggers and buttons so depending on the game it may hinder your ability to play.

If I had to rank them in overall quality/performance I'd say.

1)Nvidia Shield

2)Steam In Home streaming

3)Remote play

Right now I've been using the original Nvidia shield handheld with a modified PS mobile app to use remote play and the 5GHZ support + full physical controller make it alot more enjoyable imo. It is a hassle to set up though.

You could also do this on any android device and hook up a physical controller separately btw.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Damn, lots of good information here.  I appreciate it.  Not to derail my own topic, but is the NVIDIA Shield that good?  I always kind of brushed it off, but it kind of sounds like it could be a handheld solution (if not the best solution) for both my PS4 and my PC... with a little work and elbow grease...at least when it comes to streaming/remote play.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

The PS4 chooses automatically what connection it does, but in my experience it will use the Vita system's exisiting wifi connection to your router, and then through to your PS4's LAN connection. (I use ethernet on PS4, and once remote play starts the router activity lights will start showing activity on the PS4).

If you use PS3, the PS3 insists on using it's own wifi card for remote play, which has terrible range.

Honestly I got my Vita for cross-platform games/DLC with certain PS3 games. Getting it just for remote play is... meh. Nothing beats the feel of real analog sticks and L2/R2/L3/R3 buttons.

Any guides to setting up an android device for remote play? That sounds very interesting.

edit: I have 2 wifi routers, 1 near the PS4 system. Using that router produces good remote play results, but moving around the house (eg bathroom) may start to get sketchy on signal strength and starts introducing some lag. (At this point the PS3 will crap out entirely...) If I use the other router, which is nowhere near the PS4, then I have terrible lag / signal.

Edited by CypherNova139

Damn, lots of good information here.  I appreciate it.  Not to derail my own topic, but is the NVIDIA Shield that good?  I always kind of brushed it off, but it kind of sounds like it could be a handheld solution (if not the best solution) for both my PS4 and my PC... with a little work and elbow grease...at least when it comes to streaming/remote play.

No problem xD

And yes its fantastic, I have the original handheld and the performance and image quality are superb. On the PC side there's tons of customization and even optimized profiles for each game you play. (The original shield has a 720p display so your games can be adjusted to that res while using it for a performance boost)

The battery lasts 8-10 hours streaming games and there's also remote streaming so you can access your PC games away from home but this requires a fast connection speed in your house and decent one from your remote location.

Though its inferior to the newer shield tablet that sports a 1080p display and Tegra K1 GPU, it works great as an emulator machine and will run PS1 games and below in HD without a hitch. You can also physically map the controller to the touch screen input for native android games or download ready-made profiles from the community. 

The only downsides are that when using remote play you'll still be limited to Sony's "high" setting on image quality which doesn't take advantage of the better hardware. The only benefits you'll be getting from the shield are extra stability of a 5GHz signal, faster 2.4GHz signal and a full size controller.

I haven't updated mine in awhile but this one seems the most recent.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/ps4-remote-play-android-thread-t3068225

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Honestly I got my Vita for cross-platform games/DLC with certain PS3 games. Getting it just for remote play is... meh. Nothing beats the feel of real analog sticks and L2/R2/L3/R3 buttons.

It wouldn't be the only reason I get one, there are at least a few games I would want for it (Uncharted Golden Abyss, Tearaway, Gravity Rush to name a few... maybe cross-play some games on it as well just for kicks).  But if the remote play works off the wireless network and not something more stable... my interest has lessened a bit.  Probably see if i can find a really good deal for one someday. :)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

Wow all these problems im hearing here, i got no problems at all, remote play works perfect here, i got a nice router and I got cat5e cables running in my house, maybe that's the reason I got never disconnection problems, i really like playing like that when it's sunny outside, and most of the games I have works perfect on the vita. Still need to try a tower run on ffxiv and after the run I do a troll message saying I did it on my vita :D

It wouldn't be the only reason I get one, there are at least a few games I would want for it (Uncharted Golden Abyss, Tearaway, Gravity Rush to name a few... maybe cross-play some games on it as well just for kicks).  But if the remote play works off the wireless network and not something more stable... my interest has lessened a bit.  Probably see if i can find a really good deal for one someday. :)

Little warning though about cross-buy games... After I got Vita, it's been my main platform on cross-buy games. Prepare to stare on tiny screen a lot.  ;)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Startyde said:

Ive never gotten it to work. My router is next to my Ps4 and even when sitting two feet away, it always says the connection strength is too low to stream. Makes no sense to me. 

What are your upload and download speeds? I've never really had issues, only when people get on Netflix.

Honestly... it's pretty useless for anything beyond using it as a second screen for accessing the PS Store and starting downloads when someone else is occupying your big screen. The lag is noticeable enough no matter what connection speed I've had access to.

It's heaven compared to the rank unplayability of PS Now, but if you're seriously gonna play something on it, make it a slower paced game that doesn't require instant reaction speed, like... I don't know, the naval fleet stuff from the Assassin's Creed games?

Personally, i think its a nice feature but it could have been much better

My biggest gripe would be is they dont allow button mapping

Take the treasures of Montezuma 4 for example

the vita version obviously has touch screen controls which makes the game doable

but the ps4 version you have to use the joystick/d pad

oh ill just temote play it on my vita and use the touchscreen to make things easier, nope, you cannot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never had a really good experience. Always trying to play in local network, never worked external.
Tried on Vita, a lot os connection loss

Tried on Notebook, better than Vita, but connection drops (dont know why, I was close to the router and PS4 using cable)

My better experience was using iPhone remote play with DualShock 4 + Nyko support (picture below:)

Spoiler

8072Wmf.jpg

Edited by john_prado

There are a few things I'm surprised nobody has mentioned...

First of all, the connection. On the PS4 you can enable a direct connection to your vita, this turns your PS4 into a hotspot and your vita connects directly, without going through the router. This method is good as long as you're within a decent distance of the PS4 as the signal isn't that strong. The second method is via the router, the Vita will see if the PS4 is on the local network and then should be as stable as the PC remote play app is on your PC, or if you're outside of the internal network, it'll connect via online - again, just like using Remote Play on PC outside of your home network.

In regards to not noticing many games using the touchpad - literally, every single PS4 game on remote play uses it as, by default, R2/3 and L2/3 are done by touching the rear touchpad and the screen is the DS4 touchpad. However, you can change it and have the corners of the Vita screen on the front being the four missing buttons and the middle is the actual DS4 touchpad.

If this does bother you, as some games are almost impossible to play like this, you can either use remote play on a phone or tablet and use your DS4 controller or you can get a case which adds the missing buttons - having the case mechanically push the rear touchpad when you push new buttons.

If you got a shitty internet line then it works like crap but the reason why remote play didn't work for me was I couldn't get used to the control scheme on the Vita for games that was actually meant to be played on a console. So I only used the Vita for the Vita based games