Supporting 2 teams in same sport?

ITzRoryOC

Hello fellow sports fans. I don't understand how some people can support 2 teams in the same sport/league. I know that some people may have excuse such as "I was born in Manchester so I support Man City but i moved to London so I support Chelsea" but i mean COME ON! What happens when they play each other in a final? then who do you want to win? This goes for any sport.

I just thought that this had to be discussed.

• Like 1

I support two teams in the AFL (Australian Football League); West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers. Both teams are from the same city, so they are natural rivals.

West Coast Eagles was my favourite team growing up and still is, but I also support Fremantle Dockers because their from the same city, their players are really good, and both my parents support them. If they both reached the final (in regards to your question), I'll support West Coast - but if Fremantle won, I'll only be a little bit disappointed as I'll still be happy that a team I genuinely support won. How my view on every team goes; West Coast Eagles > Fremantle Dockers > every other team.

I used them two teams as an example because I think everyone who supports multiple teams always have a team they'll support over another team that they support ^-^

Edited by SkyesUnholy

Could possibly be that multiple teams have players that someone likes?

I don't think I've ever met someone who liked every member on a team and damned all other teams and people to hell just because. (unless they were just seriously arrogant about where they come from...or trolls. :P

As for when these 2 teams face each other...mostly it's just hoping that the 2 teams play extremely well, the game is really fun to watch, and no matter what the result you are happy. Personally I watch for the players. There are a bunch of teams in the NFL that have really good players. I'm supposed to hate those teams because I'm from New England, and all other teams aside from the Patriots be damned? 

I support multiple teams in racing. For example, in Formula One I root for Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren and I can't say I get upset when Mercedes and Williams do well. With the 24 Hours of Le Mans finishing this morning, I was ecstatic to see Porsche take the overall win for the first time since 1998 (I believe) but I would've been just as happy to see Audi take the win again. I'm more interested in seeing some exciting racing or competition than whoever wins. 

Parker

I honestly can't understand why anyone in their right mind would support such a snooze-friendly sport such as soccer in any case, but we all have our questions that lack answers.

I support two teams: I support the Carolina Panthers and whatever team happens to be beating the cheatin-ass Patriots that the moment, so these two teams rarely, if ever, come into conflict.

I honestly can't understand why anyone in their right mind would support such a snooze-friendly sport such as soccer in any case, but we all have our questions that lack answers.

I support two teams: I support the Carolina Panthers and whatever team happens to be beating the cheatin-ass Patriots that the moment, so these two teams rarely, if ever, come into conflict.

All you non new Englanders are still so salty about Patriots winning I love it!

Not at all, I would just question someone who would willingly root for a team that wins but has been proven to be cheating not once, but twice.

Edited by damon8r351

One person in the thread says it and suddenly it's everybody..? xD I'm a Bills fan and I'm not salty about it.

OT: I try not to worry myself too much with stuff like this. If that's what people want to do, all the more power to them. Personally, I only have one team I truly root for in each sport. Everybody has players they like that may not be on their roster, so I can't blame them for wanting to see their teams win as well. Especially if their team is out of the running. But if it came down to it, I'd naturally pick the team I root for over a player on another team.

Not at all, I would just question someone who would willingly root for a team that wins but has been proven to be cheating not once, but twice.

and against the fucking New York Jets to. At the time they did that, no team needed to cheat to beat them. xD

It's been months since Seahawks lost because they simply got destroyed and people are still crying about it. Any self respecting sportsman will take responsibility for their own crappy performancand simply acknowledge that had they played a better game they would have won, instead of blaming their loss on a deflated ball.

This is pretty much why I watch the sport for the players. Not the team. I might like Brady as a QB but when it comes to watching? I prefer Kaepernick or Wilson. Far superior footwork. When Brady runs it just looks really bad lmfao.

It's been months since Seahawks lost because they simply got destroyed and people are still crying about it. Any self respecting sportsman will take responsibility for their own crappy performancand simply acknowledge that had they played a better game they would have won, instead of blaming their loss on a deflated ball.

It was against the Colts. I really wish there was more evidence on the whole thing. 

I support a team in each conference typically and I have my reasons for supporting them.

My father was a Patriots fan in the 70's and I started watching their games with him a long time ago. The Vikings are loved by lots of people from my city because it's close to Winnipeg and because of Bud Grant.

As for NHL I was a Montreal Canadiens fan since I started watching hockey, then the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg so naturally I started cheering for them as well.

MLB I really only support the Jays but there are a few players that made me root for teams, specifically Paul Konerko made me want the White Sox to win their division.

Only soccer team I really even care about is Chelsea and that was because Petr Cech is Czech like me. Then I started liking Galatasaray when Baros was there.

:T That's a testament to just how much shady things a team has their hands in when their own fans aren't quite sure which shady things someone else is referring to. I was in fact talking about the deflated balls in the playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts that same season, and the scandal in 2007 when they got caught taping the New York Jets defensive signals from their own sideline then lost a first round draft pick and got super duper fined for it.

Edited by damon8r351

:T That's a testament to just how much shady things a team has their hands in when their own fans aren't quite sure which shady things someone else is referring to. I was in fact talking about the deflated balls in the playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts that same season, and the scandal in 2007 when they got caught taping the New York Jets defensive signals from their own sideline then lost a first round draft pick and got super duper fined for it.

Not a Patriots fan, I only watch real football where you actually use your feet

Colts didnt play the super bowl so not sure why youre telling me what i already know

I was born and raised in Northern California so the San Francisco 49ers are my favorite football team.  I've now lived in Houston Texas for 9 years so I also root for the Houston, Texans.  Good thing is they're NFC and AFC respectively so usually only play each other once every 4 years.  When they do meet I root for the 49ers though.  Plus, living in Texas I can only catch about 1/3 of the 49ers games on TV, but the Texans I can watch every week.  My wife however has wholeheartedly embraced Texan football, so we don't get along that well when they do play :lol:

I'm from Trøndelag in Norway and my local football club is Rosenborg. I used to support them as well as Manchester United, but as I grew older my loyalty for my home club grew. Now I only support Rosenborg, and I don't know how I ever managed to support two clubs at once.  

• Like 1

Not a Patriots fan, I only watch real football where you actually use your feet

Colts didnt play the super bowl so not sure why youre telling me what i already know

You already knew that? Shocker. Because you don't even know that they do use their feet. Just not the whole game. xD I love that "real" football remark, also. Haven't read that one a million times.

You already knew that? Shocker. Because you don't even know that they do use their feet. Just not the whole game. xD I love that "real" football remark, also. Haven't read that one a million times.

So which 2 teams do you support?

• Like 1

When it comes to the NHL, I support two teams: Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks but as they play in different conferences, they rarely play each other. When they do meet however, I root for the Penguins. I don't have any "geographical ties" to any NHL team as I live in Europe so I was free to choose whatever team I wanted to cheer for.

However I do find it weird when people support two teams in the same conference, let alone the same division, like some of my friends but as I said, no geographical ties, free to choose. And Finns tend to root for teams that have a lot of Finnish players which results in supporting more than one team.

I support two teams in the NFL: The Carolina Panthers & The Dallas Cowboys. The reason I support the Panthers is simply because I live in South Carolina and they represent the Carolinas.  I support the Cowboys because my dad is a Cowboys Fan. That's his number 1 team. So, growing up as a kid I always remember seeing Cowboy's games on the tv and my dad rooted for them so I grew to like them and now I support both teams. But if they met in a game, I'd have to root for the Panthers to win since they represent my state which I love but whichever teams wins, it's still a win win situation.

So yea, that's why.  I never saw the big deal in supporting two teams in the same sport. If there are two teams you like then support them, screw sports elitists and their imaginary rulebooks.

Just to clarify this isn't directed at the TC, I just mean in general.

Edited by youthCAT1590
  • Like 1