XBOX One to play XBOX 360 games later on this year!

merciful84

To be honest, this should be a f*cking standard for consoles! This is one of the biggest advantages of gaming on a PC. PC's don't have this issue and neither should consoles.

you rly dont get how consoles works.

i suggest you read something about it then talk bullshit like this

To be honest, this should be a f*cking standard for consoles! This is one of the biggest advantages of gaming on a PC. PC's don't have this issue and neither should consoles.

Sorry but its not. I cant go jamming an NES cartridge into a SNES. Just cause we switched to discs at one point doesnt mean its always feasible.

Edited by CasaDeBen
  • Like 3

We can sit here and argue all day until the cows come home about what Sony can and can't do but the FACT of the matter remains: Microsoft chose an equally as powerful architecture that has the capacity to allow backwards compatibility. Hell, even the WiiU can do that. At this point in time, that does not make Sony look very good, especially when their solution to the matter is a paid subscription to a streaming service and remastered editions of games that released as recently as last year.

If you're someone who this is your first generation of gaming but you want to experience everything you may have missed at least as far back as the last gen, Sony is looking the least attractive because no matter what route you go, its going to cost you more money to have access to the current and legacy library than it does for their competitors. And before anyone says something pretentious like "if you want to play PS3 games then buy a PS3"...that's not the least bit realistic now if someone has the ability to play a lot of those multiplatform gems from last gen on a current gen system. Potential XBOX One and WiiU owners now have a more extensive library of games at their disposal without the extra cost it would take to have the very same thing as a PS4 owner...or should I say PS4/PS3/PS2 owner

This is going to look very bad on Sony if they just ignore this. It leaves them the odd man out on the whole backwards compatibility issue...

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 3

I agree with this hurting Sony, if they don't do it in the future, but this is only a short term hit.  How many of you will be playing in 2+ years anyways PS3 or for that matter 360 games.  I still play a lot of PS3 games, but a lot are digital due to Plus.  Also, 360 has a lot of games digital can you transfer those over?, if not than you still need the 360, so it won't be 100% backwards compatible.   And sorry to say merciful but it seems you have no idea what  product and manufacturing really is.  The infrastructure and graphics chip in the PS3 vs PS4 is different than say what 360 vs Xbox one is, thus making it harder and probably more expensive to do, compared to Microsoft.  That is like saying a 1990s car should be compatible with a 2000s car.  Plus I have pretty much used but both systems memory each with 500 gb, so actually transferring stuff to PS4, would not be of benefit anyways at the moment.  Also, if a console is praised for it being able to play older games and no one is talking about the ones, than I personally think that console is in trouble.

Here's the reality:

Yes, this will win Microsoft lots of fanboy points.

No, it will not mean all that much to most people in the end.

Backwards Compatibility is important for about 6 months of a new console's lifecycle, until the new library gets up to snuff, and then it's irrelevant in almost all practical terms. Most people, even ardent supporters of BC, wouldn't spend more than 2% of their time (if that) playing old games. This is much more about PR than about practicality. 

I agree with you it allows fan boys to get their moment in the sun.

• Like 2

Here's the reality:

Yes, this will win Microsoft lots of fanboy points.

No, it will not mean all that much to most people in the end.

Backwards Compatibility is important for about 6 months of a new console's lifecycle, until the new library gets up to snuff, and then it's irrelevant in almost all practical terms. Most people, even ardent supporters of BC, wouldn't spend more than 2% of their time (if that) playing old games. This is much more about PR than about practicality. 

To which people? If you mean those with no backlogs and have been gaming for years...sure. But those with extensive PS3 backlogs and for brand new gamers who not only want to experience the current generation of gaming but also want to experience all the multiplatform hits from last gen....it is an important issue. Why the heck would a new gamer spend extra money to buy a PS3, or to subscribe to PS Now, or buy a remastered edition of a game when they can just buy a XBOX One ONCE and play as much Mass Effect, older COD games, older Battlefield games etc that they want?

I agree with you it allows fan boys to get their moment in the sun.

Or Sony's competitors maybe?

Also think about all the MP servers for XBOX 360 that this will increase the demand for as far as not shutting down. People will be playing online MP for those legacy titles while on the Sony end, there won't be as much incentive to leave those servers active.

• Like 1

To which people? If you mean those with no backlogs and have been gaming for years...sure. But those with extensive PS3 backlogs and for brand new gamers who not only want to experience the current generation of gaming but also want to experience all the multiplatform hits from last gen....it is an important issue. Why the heck would a new gamer spend extra money to buy a PS3, or to subscribe to PS Now, or buy a remastered edition of a game when they can just buy a XBOX One ONCE and play as much Mass Effect, older COD games, older Battlefield games etc that they want?

Or Sony's competitors maybe?

Also think about all the MP servers for XBOX 360 that this will increase the demand for as far as not shutting down. People will be playing online MP for those legacy titles while on the Sony end, there won't be as much incentive to leave those servers active.

That all sounds great in theory, but I would counter with "why would a gamer play Black Ops when they could play Black Ops 3 instead?" and any number of other, similar arguments. Before long, pretty much all of the "important" last gen exclusives will have been remastered, thereby rendering the "I just changed platforms this generation" argument moot.

And I'm also not sure what financial benefit there is to MS keeping up old game servers and having people buy used copies of old games. Yeah, it might help them sell a few more X1's in the short term, but I doubt that would outweigh the costs involved in those old infrastructures.

Again, I'm not saying that them adding BC is a bad thing - I just think it's much better in terms of perception than in reality. I thought my backwards compatible 60GB PS3 was the best thing ever until a couple of good PS3 games came out, and then I never put in a PS2 disc again.

Nonsense! How is Sony supposed to sell you more lazily res boosted ports (Aka "remasters") like God Of War 3 when they let you play your older games? That would require actually putting work into redesigning these games lol.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

if Micro$oft done it, then i believe $ony will follow suit...... um.. i hope it will one day.

though i also think Sony will make their's on a limited generation games just like they did back with the ps3's that have backward compatibility, it only allowed to play second gen and 3rd gen ps2 games, first gen is not welcome.

you rly dont get how consoles works.

i suggest you read something about it then talk bullshit like this

I know there are technical limitations. But they CAN do it if they want to. Hell, the first PS3 was backwards compatible. They just removed it for later versions. I know it would make consoles more expensive and maybe larger but it can be done. They just chose not to because of money. 

I dont understand this problem... I mean, its not Sony's fault when people are always like "Ohhh, a new console ... need.... better.... graphics! *is selling old console*" :D

Then, I have a PS4 and a PS3 at home... whats the problem?

Also, Im sorry that Im ruining your dreams, but: https://twitter.com/WinObs/status/610500113816023040/photo/1

Better keep your XBox360, before you are going to regret it.

• Like 3

I dont understand this problem... I mean, its not Sony's fault when people are always like "Ohhh, a new console ... need.... better.... graphics! *is selling old console*" :D

Then, I have a PS4 and a PS3 at home... whats the problem?

Also, Im sorry that Im ruining your dreams, but: https://twitter.com/WinObs/status/610500113816023040/photo/1

Better keep your XBox360, before you are going to regret it.

That's the digital list. But if you have the retail discs you can play any game.

That's the digital list. But if you have the retail discs you can play any game.

Not true. That's the entire list as of now. They will add to it down the road but it's very limited as of now, and the limits are there whether it's disc or digital.

I know there are technical limitations. But they CAN do it if they want to. Hell, the first PS3 was backwards compatible. They just removed it for later versions. I know it would make consoles more expensive and maybe larger but it can be done. They just chose not to because of money.

Yes and no. They chose not to because they learned their lesson from the $600 launch PS3's with BC that no one bought.

Hope this comes to PS4 as well.. However.. Is it going to be the same graphics or more like "upgraded" to new game standards, like a "remastered" version?

Doesn't really matter to be. Just imagine playing games like Red Dead Redemption on PS4.. :o

The only thing that I would worry about is one particular detail: Put the 360 version into the One and you get a digital copy for free. I know plenty of people who don't like to get friendly with digital downloads, and I like to keep space on my hard drive for any installation that comes from the disks. Besides, a lot of people whom I've heard from would rather play their older games on their respective consoles rather than put it in a new one with backwards compatibility. I have an Xbox and a 360, as well as a Gamecube and Wii, yet I would rather play my Xbox games on my Xbox and my Gamecube games on my Gamecube. For the former one, I'm sure it's just because the 360 needs a hard drive to be backwards compatible and I don't own one. But the Wii playing my Gamecube games.... feels just too awkward to me.

Anyway, that's only my opinion and I'll respect others' opinions on that later matter, but I just simply don't find backwards compatibility to be much of a deal. I buy a console of that generation mainly for the games of that specific genre and console exclusivity (that's why my 360 only has Halo 3 and Gears of War so far).

• Like 2

Hope this comes to PS4 as well.. However.. Is it going to be the same graphics or more like "upgraded" to new game standards, like a "remastered" version?

Doesn't really matter to be. Just imagine playing games like Red Dead Redemption on PS4.. :o

Backwards compatibility just means playing the exact same game on the newer platform - no remastering or upgrades.