XBOX One to play XBOX 360 games later on this year!

merciful84

LOL this means NOTHING it almost a slap in the face!! It shows they have nothing to give to the fans!! BUt old games to play! God it gets sadder and sadder!! I would be pissed if I was on xboxone!! I would be like this is a joke right?

This post was a joke, right?

• Like 2

Not true. That's the entire list as of now. They will add to it down the road but it's very limited as of now, and the limits are there whether it's disc or digital.

Considering the full 100 tittles come out in December, judge then. Your opinion has no concrete facts to back it up. 

Only 100 titles.  I'd say that's PRETTY limited.....

That's only at December though so it's not like you can give you full knowledge opinion it right now. Of course it is, you gotta start small first then build your way to the top. Also if you want compare with someone else, Sony did the same thing to the Vita and that was in the same time period. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

Here's the reality:

Yes, this will win Microsoft lots of fanboy points.

No, it will not mean all that much to most people in the end.

Backwards Compatibility is important for about 6 months of a new console's lifecycle, until the new library gets up to snuff, and then it's irrelevant in almost all practical terms. Most people, even ardent supporters of BC, wouldn't spend more than 2% of their time (if that) playing old games. This is much more about PR than about practicality. 

This a 1000 times this. When I worked for playstation I had 1 just 1 person asking "why did Sony take backwards compatibility out of the PS3" I responded "because it allowed them to drop the price and no one seemed to mind. Actually sales went up after the removal of backwards compatibility.

Now don't get me wrong, if Sony can find a way to do it, I will be happy, but I would rather have a more efficient running system than the ability to play old games. Now if it meant they stopped remastering everything and released new games then I would be all for it ;)

Here is why I like this, being a person with a backlog on several hundred 360 games: The support will eventually run out on the 360, like it will on the PS3. Maybe next year, maybe in 10 (This makes me think sooner than later though- for MS, not Sony). This allows people to continue to earn achievements on old games even after their 360's can no longer connect to MS's servers. I was indifferent to this news until that dawned on me....and because of that...I think it's a absolutely wonderful feature. Heck, if people don't like it...they don't have to use it :) And since it's a patch, not a hardware thing...it won't effect price.

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

This a 1000 times this. When I worked for playstation I had 1 just 1 person asking "why did Sony take backwards compatibility out of the PS3" I responded "because it allowed them to drop the price and no one seemed to mind. Actually sales went up after the removal of backwards compatibility.

Now don't get me wrong, if Sony can find a way to do it, I will be happy, but I would rather have a more efficient running system than the ability to play old games. Now if it meant they stopped remastering everything and released new games then I would be all for it ;)

Lol, I expected a lot more people would be annoted by that. 

Lol, I expected a lot more people would be annoted by that. 

Oh man he wouldn't shut up about it. I was with Playstation for 3 years and at least once a month he would bring it up. I told him "I will sell you my PS2 if you want one so badly" and he was like "BUT SONY SHOULD HAVE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY"

I finally got him to shut up by asking him "how many Ps3 were you selling pre-2010 and how many are you selling now? See no one cares but you. Now wipe the Cheetos off your shirt and shave that neck beard" (he was kind of a disgusting guy ^_^)

• Like 1

Oh man he wouldn't shut up about it. I was with Playstation for 3 years and at least once a month he would bring it up. I told him "I will sell you my PS2 if you want one so badly" and he was like "BUT SONY SHOULD HAVE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY"

I finally got him to shut up by asking him "how many Ps3 were you selling pre-2010 and how many are you selling now? See no one cares but you. Now wipe the Cheetos off your shirt and shave that neck beard" (he was kind of a disgusting guy ^_^)

Lol, he actually walked around like that?

Lol, he actually walked around like that?

He didn't just walk around, he was a store manager and that is how he dressed for work. He was the typical "nerd" gamer that the media uses when trying to find a stereotypical nerd. I remember running a game night once (for the release of Star Hawk) and I bought 4 pizzas for about 12 guys (so a lot of food). He picked up one box and I thought he was bringing it to someone...nope he just started eating the pizza himself. I had to awkwardly ask him to "please share with others"

Here's the reality:

Yes, this will win Microsoft lots of fanboy points.

No, it will not mean all that much to most people in the end.

Backwards Compatibility is important for about 6 months of a new console's lifecycle, until the new library gets up to snuff, and then it's irrelevant in almost all practical terms. Most people, even ardent supporters of BC, wouldn't spend more than 2% of their time (if that) playing old games. This is much more about PR than about practicality. 

Well, i still play ds games on my 3ds and wii games on my wii u, but i get what your saying. Then again, wii u still doesn't have all that much, but 3ds has a big library.

The only thing that I would worry about is one particular detail: Put the 360 version into the One and you get a digital copy for free. I know plenty of people who don't like to get friendly with digital downloads, and I like to keep space on my hard drive for any installation that comes from the disks. Besides, a lot of people whom I've heard from would rather play their older games on their respective consoles rather than put it in a new one with backwards compatibility. I have an Xbox and a 360, as well as a Gamecube and Wii, yet I would rather play my Xbox games on my Xbox and my Gamecube games on my Gamecube. For the former one, I'm sure it's just because the 360 needs a hard drive to be backwards compatible and I don't own one. But the Wii playing my Gamecube games.... feels just too awkward to me.

Anyway, that's only my opinion and I'll respect others' opinions on that later matter, but I just simply don't find backwards compatibility to be much of a deal. I buy a console of that generation mainly for the games of that specific genre and console exclusivity (that's why my 360 only has Halo 3 and Gears of War so far).

I am the same way, I have PS2 and a PS3 but I would rather play PS2 games on my PS2 since it feels more natural. I have Nintendo DS lite which can play gameboy games but I like playing gameboy games on my Gameboy for the same reasons, but in my opinion all consoles should have the ability to be backward compatible the reason why is for those that missed out on the previous generations, I have friend who was Xbox 360 loyalist until he came to my house in the beginning of the PS4/Xbox One generation and feel in love with my PS3 collection, so besides him wanting a PS4 for all the good games coming in the future, he also wants a PS3 even though he admitted it is only for 5 games since God of War Saga is 5 is not worth it, so a PS4 with backward compatiblity would be good in this situation. Also I have another friend who was also owned a Xbox 360 and he wanted to play Hyperdimension but he didn't own a PS3 which my other friend suggested buying a PS3 which he replied he isn't going waste over 100 dollars to play three games, he instead wished his PS4 could play PS3 games.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

Microsoft chose an equally as powerful architecture that has the capacity to allow backwards compatibility. 

The architecture of the ps3 and ps4 are more different than xbox360 and xbox one. Alot of developers said that the architecture of the ps3 is extremely hard to work with and that was why alot of games showed up on the xbox 360 exclusively. Also not every game is backwards compatible. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-gamesIt is up to the publisher if they want their game to be backwards compatible, so probably the games that get a remasterd edition wouldn't be backwards compatible. It would be interesting if this would decrease the amount of remastering that we're getting. I doubt sony will respond with their own backwards compatible, would be cool though.

Edited by DDrag00n

He didn't just walk around, he was a store manager and that is how he dressed for work. He was the typical "nerd" gamer that the media uses when trying to find a stereotypical nerd. I remember running a game night once (for the release of Star Hawk) and I bought 4 pizzas for about 12 guys (so a lot of food). He picked up one box and I thought he was bringing it to someone...nope he just started eating the pizza himself. I had to awkwardly ask him to "please share with others"

What the hell. Lol, he thought an entire pizza was for him and 11 others would share 3 pizzas?

I have both a 360 and a PS3, so not having backwards compatibility on the newer systems isn't that much of a big deal for me, but I do think Microsoft made a great move.

I know most people will mostly just want to play the new games when they get a new console, but it's always good to have backwards compatibility to give people the option. Now, people that didn't get the previous system can still enjoy its games. And even people that got the previous system don't need to have it plugged in anymore since the new one can also play the older games.

Another advantage is the fact that you can now use the new system's features on the older games (as Microsoft demonstrated). One thing I would particularly like about having backward compatibility on PS3 and PS4 is be the ability to play with a wireless controller (I hate wires).

This is why competition is so good. The same way Sony had to incorporate trophies because Xbox 360 introduced them and the same way Microsoft had to get rid of the mandatory Kinect and all the DRM on Xbox One because Sony wasn't enforcing it on PS4, now Sony will also have to implement a backwards compatibility system in order not to lose some of the lead it's gotten over Microsoft (even if they do lose some of it, it don't think it'll be all that much).

The same way Sony fired shots at Microsoft at E3 2013, Microsoft fired shots at Sony with their "we won't charge you to play the games you already own" line.

Suddenly, Playstation Now just became a ripoff.

• Like 1

Let's be honest this was the only thing of note at the MS E3 this year

While Sony got tonnes of exclusive content for tonnes of multi-platform games

Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, Uncharted IV, Final Fantasy VII, Street Fighter 5, tonnes of Indie exclusives, more exclusives to be unveiled

It seems at this rate Sony is going to have all the desirable games on the PS4 compared to Xbone constantly churning out crap like Halo and Gears, which won't come close to matching any of the PS4 exclusives

Watch this space as it's only a matter of time until the Resident Evil franchise becomes a Playstation Exclusive with how well the console sells

Also Sony can trump MS' backwards compatibility with one simple move that it is totally obvious they're going to make now

Playstation Now will be included with PS+ membership

I can see it happening and once more MS will be back down to, "Wanna play Halo?" "Nah, got Uncharted mate"

• Like 1