XBOX One to play XBOX 360 games later on this year!

merciful84

To be honest, this should be a f*cking standard for consoles! This is one of the biggest advantages of gaming on a PC. PC's don't have this issue and neither should consoles.

Actually they have it worse. New systems refuse to play games like The Elder Scrolls: Arena or Ultima VII unless done so through a service like MS-DOSbox which is very daunting and hard to use, or purchased through external services like Origin, which charges stupidly high prices for games. Windows 95 games will not play on Windows 8.1. Some Windows 2000 games will not play either. Outdated software is the bane of the PC community.

I'd love backwards compatibility, mainly because it would mean one less console under the television (I currently have 7, it's a mess). However, i'm not expecting Sony to be able to do full-backwards compatibility with PS3 games, unless it was streamed. 

PS2 and PS1, on the other hand, should be able to work, and I do think there is a large enough demand for it. 

Also Sony can trump MS' backwards compatibility with one simple move that it is totally obvious they're going to make now

Playstation Now will be included with PS+ membership

I can see it happening and once more MS will be back down to, "Wanna play Halo?" "Nah, got Uncharted mate"

Huh.

Also Sony can trump MS' backwards compatibility with one simple move that it is totally obvious they're going to make now

Playstation Now will be included with PS+ membership

I can see it happening and once more MS will be back down to, "Wanna play Halo?" "Nah, got Uncharted mate"

PS Now is a failure, Sony's action and handling is more than enough I need to know about it. Lack of promotion and not even hinting at it strongly at their conference tells me that they will try it out for a while. Also PS Now is going to be on everything, so if successful so people will just buy a PS4 controller and use it on their tables, computers and other things. That means less PS4 hardware sales from PS Now. 

Also with the pricing of PS Now, it would be silly to add it with PS Plus,  the service would have to go up in price. Streaming isn't cheap you know. 

Gamers need to separate business from their favourite things, you don't even know the basic fundamentals of owning a business. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

Im sure the PS4 could read a PS3 disc like it did when they bridged BF4 across both consoles, they just chose not to enable it. Much like the early PS3s that where backwards compatable, and then suddenly the newer versions were not.

Its all about making money here. As much as i dislike Sony's stubbornness when it comes to making everything proprietary, I still like their products so I can't talk out of both corners of my mouth...

Actually they have it worse. New systems refuse to play games like The Elder Scrolls: Arena or Ultima VII unless done so through a service like MS-DOSbox which is very daunting and hard to use, or purchased through external services like Origin, which charges stupidly high prices for games. Windows 95 games will not play on Windows 8.1. Some Windows 2000 games will not play either. Outdated software is the bane of the PC community.

They might have it worse for games that are 20+ years old. Yes, Win 95 games are hard to use on today's PCs. But not last generation games or even 2 generations back.

Only 24 games will be backwards compatible at launch?  And it's at the developers discretion to support it?

It's a nice gesture, but I can't really see this going anywhere.  Especially if it's just some half baked software emulation.  What incentive do developers have to step away from other, possibly bigger, projects... to make a game half a decade old, in a bargain bin somewhere, for a completely different console, work again?

Edited by PleaseHoldOn