Day 1 DLC... yay

itzzh3lixx

why is day 1 DLC any worse than DLC in general?  Programmers who would be making the DLC have stopped working on the main game quite a while before it is actually released, so why cant they make little things that can be released as DLC day 1?  I mean if you are ok, or even support the idea of DLC, I just don't see a difference.

• Like 3

Agreed. If you finish it in time for day 1, you should include that in the base game anyway then.

Do you know how long it takes to print the discs and ship them to their suppliers so that they can be out in the stores on day 1?  I don't think that this is a fair statement at all.  The programmers are done on the game quite a while before it comes out, so why can't they work on digital content.  That being said, on disc DLC is more of a problem than Day 1 DLC.

• Like 1

Do you know how long it takes to print the discs and ship them to their suppliers so that they can be out in the stores on day 1?  I don't think that this is a fair statement at all.  The programmers are done on the game quite a while before it comes out, so why can't they work on digital content.  That being said, on disc DLC is more of a problem than Day 1 DLC.

I do know that, but I don't believe you know how WB works, do you?

I really believe that this case has both day1 dlc + on disc dlc. Wait until you get your copy and all the season pass gives you is a 100kb unlock download, then we see which one was right here.

why is day 1 DLC any worse than DLC in general?  Programmers who would be making the DLC have stopped working on the main game quite a while before it is actually released, so why cant they make little things that can be released as DLC day 1?  I mean if you are ok, or even support the idea of DLC, I just don't see a difference.

I think it's because people don't know the difference. Some still think that this business practice is still new. 

I don't care whether developers continue working on stuff once the game is "finished" and docs are being printed, but anything released on day one should be free. As long as it's not some pre-order bonus thing. Whatever. Either way it doesn't really effect me as I'll just wait a year and get the game + all DLC for $10.

• Like 3

I don't care whether developers continue working on stuff once the game is "finished" and docs are being printed, but anything released on day one should be free. As long as it's not some pre-order bonus thing. Whatever. Either way it doesn't really effect me as I'll just wait a year and get the game + all DLC for $10.

I wish, we'll probably get an announcement about the GOTY edition. The only way you could buy AK for that much in a year, is if you're going to buy it at steam summer sales 2016. 

Simple, because if they had time to create day 1 DLC they could either have released the game eariler and made it into normal DLC or included it into the main game. Day 1 DLC is an greedy cash grab

Simple, because if they had time to create day 1 DLC they could either have released the game eariler and made it into normal DLC or included it into the main game. Day 1 DLC is an greedy cash grab

You didn't quite get that post, did you? It takes time from when the game is complete to when it is fully tested, printed, and shipped to retailers. The game can't come out earlier, but there's also no reason to have the entire development team fixing that last bugs when they could be working on additional content. And it may just happen that they would be able to release the content on day 1. It takes much less time to get digital content to players than physical content.

• Like 3

How can you blame a company for doing something to make money?  If the people didn't like it, they wouldn't buy it and then the practice would change.  But clearly the majority of people are ok paying these 'fees' so they keep happening.  You can't say it is greedy when the vast majority of people aren't complaining.

If you really want to complain about things, you should be upset that they announced DLC BEFORE the game was even announced.  And selling a Season pass before the game is even out.  How about locking specific content to specific stores, so that even if you wanted to spend money on everything in the game, you couldn't possibly do that unless you bought multiple copies of the game?  How about new games starting to cost $79.99 in Canada, when 2 years ago they were $59.99...

All of these things are far worse than day 1 dlc.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 1

How can you blame a company for doing something to make money?  If the people didn't like it, they wouldn't buy it and then the practice would change.  But clearly the majority of people are ok paying these 'fees' so they keep happening.  You can't say it is greedy when the vast majority of people aren't complaining.

Have you even looked at the DLC trophies? they are side missions. and think about the game we are talking about, it's been in development far too long. and guess what the game costs? that's right $70. They make us wait really long for the game, have us to pay $70, "but wait look we have more missions for you to do, only pay 1,99 extra for each one of them" and the DLC with 7 trophies could have been part of the main story according to the trophies, but nope they cut it out and made us pay extra for it, around 6.99-9-99 i suppose. I don't know in what perfect world you live in where you think this is great, "yayy more things to put money in because money grow on trees" sure the company wants more money but this company isn't an low budget unknown old warehouse company, this is warners brothers. and the reason people are putting money into it isnät because they want to, it's because they have to, they want to play it but that doesn't mean they agree on what the company is doing.

I don't understand it either but on the other hand no one forces you to buy DLC, it's still your own choice.

I agree. I generally eschew games with premium day 1 DLC, but again, it's my choice.

How can you blame a company for doing something to make money? If the people didn't like it, they wouldn't buy it and then the practice would change. But clearly the majority of people are ok paying these 'fees' so they keep happening. You can't say it is greedy when the vast majority of people aren't complaining.

If you really want to complain about things, you should be upset that they announced DLC BEFORE the game was even announced. And selling a Season pass before the game is even out. How about locking specific content to specific stores, so that even if you wanted to spend money on everything in the game, you couldn't possibly do that unless you bought multiple copies of the game? How about new games starting to cost $79.99 in Canada, when 2 years ago they were $59.99...

All of these things are far worse than day 1 dlc.

This reasoning is good if you assume that game companies follow good business practices. But the assumption is highly debatable. Edited by starcrunch061

Have you even looked at the DLC trophies? they are side missions. and think about the game we are talking about, it's been in development far too long. and guess what the game costs? that's right $70. They make us wait really long for the game, have us to pay $70, "but wait look we have more missions for you to do, only pay 1,99 extra for each one of them" and the DLC with 7 trophies could have been part of the main story according to the trophies, but nope they cut it out and made us pay extra for it, around 6.99-9-99 i suppose. I don't know in what perfect world you live in where you think this is great, "yayy more things to put money in because money grow on trees" sure the company wants more money but this company isn't an low budget unknown old warehouse company, this is warners brothers. and the reason people are putting money into it isnät because they want to, it's because they have to, they want to play it but that doesn't mean they agree on what the company is doing.

I think you are very much overusing the word "have to".  Nobody has to buy this game.  If the masses really did not like these practices, they could fix it in 1 game, but people don't care.  If we as a whole really wanted to stop all of these practices, nobody buy the next EA or WB game that comes out.  They will change this right on the spot, but the problem is that they aren't doing something that is bad enough for people to do something about.  They just go along with it and let it happen.  So my point still stands, you cannot expect a company to turn down a way of making money.  I am not saying that no company does, but I am saying that in the world of business, there is no need to stop doing something that people are willing to pay for.  There is a cliff that the companies will fall off if they go to far, but they clearly haven't gotten there yet.

I think you are very much overusing the word "have to".  Nobody has to buy this game.  If the masses really did not like these practices, they could fix it in 1 game, but people don't care.  If we as a whole really wanted to stop all of these practices, nobody buy the next EA or WB game that comes out.  They will change this right on the spot, but the problem is that they aren't doing something that is bad enough for people to do something about.  They just go along with it and let it happen.  So my point still stands, you cannot expect a company to turn down a way of making money.  I am not saying that no company does, but I am saying that in the world of business, there is no need to stop doing something that people are willing to pay for.  There is a cliff that the companies will fall off if they go to far, but they clearly haven't gotten there yet.

When i said "Have to" i meant they have to buy the DLC to play the missions, not that they are forced to by anyone. 

When i said "Have to" i meant they have to buy the DLC to play the missions, not that they are forced to by anyone. 

Right, but that would be said about any game or DLC that exists or ever will exist.  You can't play it without buying it first.  So your statement doesn't add anything productive to the conversation.  Nobody has to buy these products, and if their practices were bad enough people wouldn't.

Also, there are far worse things in the gaming industry now to complain about than day 1 DLC.  If that was the worst thing they did, I would be a happy person.

Right, but that would be said about any game or DLC that exists or ever will exist.  You can't play it without buying it first.  So your statement doesn't add anything productive to the conversation.  Nobody has to buy these products, and if their practices were bad enough people wouldn't.

Also, there are far worse things in the gaming industry now to complain about than day 1 DLC.  If that was the worst thing they did, I would be a happy person.

Just because it isn't the worst thing in gaming, it's still an middle finger to every gamer who buys the game at launch, they will come home and find out they bought an game that ins't complete and you have to pay for the rest of it. So just because there are worse things to complain about doesn't make it wrong to complain about this.