Pre-Order DLC... WITH TROPHIES!?

Short version: DLC trophies were added for retailer exclusive (EB Games/Gamestop) pre-order bonus day 1 DLC. Anyone who doesn't pre-order at either of those stores and wants 100% trophy completion will have to purchase the DLC separately to get the trophy. I find this ridiculous. Thoughts?

Long version: Okay, now this is absurd. Now, it's a whole different discussion to talk about Day 1 DLC in general, and whether it should or shouldn't be a thing, just the same as pre-order DLC is a separate discussion. But when you take Day 1 DLC, make it a pre-order bonus, and attach trophies to it... well now you've gone too far. Unless you pre-order from EB Games or Gamestop, you won't be getting the Red Hood DLC; as such, if you want 100% completion, you're going to have to buy DLC which was complete on Day 1 and given out for FREE elsewhere. If you don't pre-order the game at all, you'll have to buy both the Red Hood AND Harley Quinn DLC. 

I see nothing wrong with the Scarecrow DLC trophy, as (I assume) that'll come with all copies of the game on PS4. I also have nothing against the Batgirl DLC trophies, as that's a story expansion that likely won't be released for several months. But Day 1 pre-order bonus DLC with trophies, one of which is retailer exclusive? That I very strongly dislike.

Then I would strongly suggest you don't buy the game as soon as it comes out. Wait for it to get a GOTY or complete edition. Two of three did get one after all.

• Like 1

I only hope that those store exclusive DLC's are part of the Season Pass since I'm one of the suckers who's falling for it and also have it on pre-order with the Harley Quinn DLC, being a DC/Batman nerd. But I agree wholeheartedly with StormRacer on this.

I don't see the real problem here? Almost all DLC for games has trophies. You were never going to get 100% without buying the DLC anyway. Is the problem that people who pre order, get that specific DLC free? Because that happens with so many others games too. That's why people pre order games, to get stuff before anyone else.

I'm against DLC, and I'll be waiting for the GOTY edition. But I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal.

• Like 3

If you don't like it, just don't buy the game.

Now, I know this may be hard to understand for some people, but if you dislike this policy then don't reward publishers by giving them money when they do it. No matter how much you want the game.

Edited by damon8r351

Short version: DLC trophies were added for retailer exclusive (EB Games/Gamestop) pre-order bonus day 1 DLC. Anyone who doesn't pre-order at either of those stores and wants 100% trophy completion will have to purchase the DLC separately to get the trophy. I find this ridiculous. Thoughts?

Long version: Okay, now this is absurd. Now, it's a whole different discussion to talk about Day 1 DLC in general, and whether it should or shouldn't be a thing, just the same as pre-order DLC is a separate discussion. But when you take Day 1 DLC, make it a pre-order bonus, and attach trophies to it... well now you've gone too far. Unless you pre-order from EB Games or Gamestop, you won't be getting the Red Hood DLC; as such, if you want 100% completion, you're going to have to buy DLC which was complete on Day 1 and given out for FREE elsewhere. If you don't pre-order the game at all, you'll have to buy both the Red Hood AND Harley Quinn DLC. 

I see nothing wrong with the Scarecrow DLC trophy, as (I assume) that'll come with all copies of the game on PS4. I also have nothing against the Batgirl DLC trophies, as that's a story expansion that likely won't be released for several months. But Day 1 pre-order bonus DLC with trophies, one of which is retailer exclusive? That I very strongly dislike.

I don't understand what you are complaining about?  Any completionist would have to get the DLC for the trophies whether they were exclusive or not.  So think of it like a reason to buy at Gamestop?  If you can't, its not like it would have been included with the regular game anyway, you still would have had to buy it.

Speak with your wallet.  Warner Brothers made my decision for me with the Season Pass that I'll be waiting until the "All in One" version comes out.  I'll only have to wait a year, and £40.00 for the game is what I'm prepared to pay.

If you buy it, then buy the DLC or preorder from GameStop you're part of the problem.  Confirmation bias in its purest form, enough people acquiesce then it will become a trend.

Case in point: Season Passes in general evolving from Online Passes.  Trophies/achievements are what appeal to the dedicated gamers, and Warner Bros are clever for attempting to take advantage.  If it works, wait for other publishers to continue.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 2

I don't see the real problem here? Almost all DLC for games has trophies. You were never going to get 100% without buying the DLC anyway. Is the problem that people who pre order, get that specific DLC free? Because that happens with so many others games too. That's why people pre order games, to get stuff before anyone else.

I'm against DLC, and I'll be waiting for the GOTY edition. But I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal.

This, combined with it being Day 1 DLC cut from the game and with trophies attached. Never before have I seen pre-order DLC, let alone retailer-exclusive pre-order DLC, have trophies. And so anyone who doesn't pre-order at the appropriate place must purchase it a few months down the line. 

If you don't like it, just don't buy the game.

Now, I know this may be hard to understand for some people, but if you dislike this policy then don't reward publishers by giving them money when they do it. No matter how much you want the game.

It's an easy enough concept to understand; however, it's not a desirable thing to do. People want the game, and they'll buy it. I want the game, and I'll buy it. I don't approve of what WB is doing, but I don't care enough to not buy a game I've been looking forward to for so long. It's damn stupid, and definitely doesn't help them, but really, nothing they do in regards to pre-order incentives will sway my desire for this game. They could take away all pre-order bonuses or add 100 of them, it really won't do anything for me.

Rofl if you are crying for 3 trophies there is something really wrong with you I am afraid to say

For me, I just like to get 100% completion on games. It could be 1 trophy or 50, it makes no difference; it's something that contributes to trophy completion, and that's what matters to me. But even if I wasn't thinking of completion, 3 trophies are enough for me to care about. And no, I'm not crying over this, or even all that upset really; I'm simply criticizing the business practices of Warner Bros.  No need to attempt to insult me.

I don't understand what you are complaining about?  Any completionist would have to get the DLC for the trophies whether they were exclusive or not.  So think of it like a reason to buy at Gamestop?  If you can't, its not like it would have been included with the regular game anyway, you still would have had to buy it.

Because I've never before seen pre-order DLC with trophies. I'm used to this kind of DLC being just little bonus things with no substantial amount of content, and things that don't really matter. Never before have I seen a game where I had to buy DLC that was a pre-order bonus in order to get trophies; in fact, I often skip pre-order DLC that I get because it simply doesn't matter to me. 

I don't see the problem, what is wrong with waiting a few months like? its just a trophy no need to be a baby about it its not like you can never get it  :blink:

They're cutting content from the game to make Day 1 pre-order bonus DLC, and associating trophies with it. If a studio is making pre-order bonus DLC, I feel it should be something small, like a costume or something; in this case, it seems as though they're cutting a substantial amount of content to make pre-order bonus DLC, and then putting trophies on it. It just seems stupid to me.

:holy: im ready :yay:

File size for DLC

fv0XbWo.png?1

That thing is huge! I guess it makes sense that there are trophies then. 1.1 GB seems like it'll have a good amount of content!

Because I've never before seen pre-order DLC with trophies. I'm used to this kind of DLC being just little bonus things with no substantial amount of content, and things that don't really matter. Never before have I seen a game where I had to buy DLC that was a pre-order bonus in order to get trophies; in fact, I often skip pre-order DLC that I get because it simply doesn't matter to me. 

But you can buy the DLC after launch (at least that is what has been said).  So this is why I am confused what it is specifically that you are complaining about.  If its the trophies you care about, this DLC is no different than any other DLC.

As for cutting content from the game, I don;t really think that is the case.  There is no reason that Catwoman, or the Red Hood should be expected to be playable in the game.  It's not like there are levels that actually fit within the story that are taken away unless you buy the pre-order DLC, this content is very clearly extra content.

Edited by Sir_Bee

If you don't like it then don't buy it. If you complain about the DLC practices and then buy the game anyway then you're just contributing to the problem. Vote with your wallet or this kind of thing will never get better. Also, I don't think this is nearly as big of a deal as your post indicates. You can still get the platinum from all the base game trophies so it's not like you're cut off from that, and if you were going for 100% completion then that means that for any AAA (non Witcher 3) game you will be buying DLC anyway.

P.S Wait for inevitable GOTY edition.

:holy: im ready :yay:

File size for DLC

fv0XbWo.png?1

Damn 2.2gbs for the dlc alone I wonder what the day 1 patch will be like

For me, I just like to get 100% completion on games. It could be 1 trophy or 50, it makes no difference; it's something that contributes to trophy completion, and that's what matters to me. But even if I wasn't thinking of completion, 3 trophies are enough for me to care about. And no, I'm not crying over this, or even all that upset really; I'm simply criticizing the business practices of Warner Bros.  No need to attempt to insult me.

I never meant to insult you I just found it strange is all. While I agree about bundling pre-order dlc to different retailers is bad it's how the world works these days unfortunately. This isn't the first time a pre-order incentive had a trophy or 2 attached to it. I recall metro last light having the same. I read in article the dlcs will be available 3months after the game comes our for those who never got them, at what cost is the more pressing matter... Because buying the season pass this early on is definitely not worth it.