Motion sickness

Cleggworth

Anybody else get crazy motion sickness playing this? I've never experienced it at all let alone playing a game before! Really made me ill. To think i expected it would be the bugs that would get the better of me

Edited by Cleggworth

I get digital motion sickness from all 1st person games and a lot of side scrollers and platformers, you are most certainly not alone! It really does ruin games for me sometimes, I even get it watching trailers for games. Developers really need to add in a Feild of view option in the menus of games so we can widen it to try to help ease the symptoms.

As a rule of thumb whenever I start a new game I take ginger pills and a travel tablet and ween myself off them to see if I can hack it without medication, perhaps give that a try?

Also - motion blur, why do you exist, you make me feel sick within a nanosecond!

EDIT: I'm also sure that if I ever tried project Morpheus, I would actually die from motion sickness :'(

Edited by DJROE95

Your vision actually blacks out for a tiny fraction of a second then returns every time you move your eyes to look at something. You actually spend a substantial portion of your lifetime completely blind in increments of microseconds. If this doesn't happen, then you'd be in a constant state of motion sickness. Which is why it annoys me when FPS games and movies like Cloverfield try to duplicate realistic head movements in a first person view for high energy, fast moving action sequences, because it's impossible to duplicate the vision black out also to prevent motion sickness.

• Like 1

I also get crazy motion sickness from first person games. I haven't tried this game in particular, but I could imagine it would affect me in a similar way. So you're not alone. 

Like the dood above said, use ginger pills. It really helps. Even more so than travel tablets I find. 

Edited by OneSuspiciousWaffle

I often get mild motion sickness when I start a new FPS. Been playing them since the original Doom, and usually after a few sessions I find the sensation passes.

This was probably the worst game I have ever encountered. I was so nauseous, and it never settled. The game was a miserable experience and I could only play in very short bursts. Fortunately it was short or else I would never have finished.

Not sure why this one was so much worse than any other FPS.

I've experience mild discomfort watching a PS4 being played on a high end television for the first time, although that was more of a headache then outright motion sickness :P I would try playing a little on separate days and see if your eyes can adjust to the rapid movements or else, try as others say and use some type of supplement

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely this game and Unfinished Swan gave me major motion sickness. Have no idea why.

I played Alien: Isolation on PS4 and Portal on PS3 and did not feel motion sickness.

I used to play a lot of FPS games on my PC and did not experience this before.

Only Ether One and Unfinished Swan has this affect on me. Something about these games. I can only play them for an hour, then I feel like I need to throw up. Afterwards I have to switch off and go and lie down for 10 minutes.

Edited by DysectorZA
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely this game and Unfinished Swan gave me major motion sickness. Have no idea why.

I played Alien: Isolation on PS4 and Portal on PS3 and did not feel motion sickness.

I used to play a lot of FPS games on my PC and did not experience this before.

Only Ether One and Unfinished Swan has this affect on me. Something about these games. I can only play them for an hour, then I feel like I need to throw up. Afterwards I have to switch off and go and lie down for 10 minutes.

Yep, exactly what i was going to say.

All the games are OK with me except Ether One and Unfinished Swan.

I believe the problem is the way the character floats slowly instead of moving/running quickly like in most fps games, especially that I am really used to Destiny/Battlefield/COD quick motion. It's like you're trying to run, but you are barely moving. A really hectic game with such an easy plat. What a waste!

I think it's the blur and sometimes colour palette  that gives motion sickness. I can get sick from this, Duke Nukem (but not doom for some reason), any bethesda game pre-skyrim, and just watching final fantasy type 0 for ten minutes will make me sick for a couple hours.

But most other FPS games I don't have a problem with. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just seen this thread. This game made me super nauseous. I had to go and lie down and was ill for the rest of the evening. I assume it's the head bobble when you walk as I don't get sickness with other first person games. Will try setting head bobble to zero as someone mentioned above. I hadn't realised you could do that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had exactly the same problem.  I've had the same feeling in a few other games, such as The Unfinished Swan, and The Stanley Parable.  Think it's something to do with the field of vision and the way the camera moves since I'm fine with some FPS games.  

What I've done to get me to the end of games like this is use the Remote Play feature on the Vita to 'stream' the games from my PS4.  For some reason, it makes it easier to play them and doesn't give me that nauseous feeling on the smaller screen.  Might be worth trying if anyone else has similar experiences.

• 2 months later...

I’m getting horrendous nausea from it, can only play for about half an hour. Never had problems before except on some really old FPS decade or so ago. Will try the head bobble thing...

Edit: bobble off definitely solved the problem, game done!

Edited by bobthecrazydog

I got motion sickness from Portal, Fallout 4, and Half Life 2. For some reason I was fine with this one but yeah its definitely something to do with the head bob, makes it hard to even watch long  gameplay videos of FPS games on youtube as well.