Needle Point Race Assistance

Like the title says, i am in serious need of someone who has completed this races' assistance.  I am not kidding i must have put in over 20 hours of replaying this over (its disgusting ive spent this much time on this) and over for the last 2 days.  i have tried everything i can think of.  The way it stands right now i have all pro mods unlocked on the Koenigsegg, and i cannot get past an average of 147.8 mph.  Someone....anyone able to help me past this race?  I'll help you with ANYTHING you need on a game we both have.

If you can help, send me a friend request on PSN with "Needle Point" in a note inside the request.

Thank you to anyone considering it, ill be so grateful its indescribable.  I just cannot take this over a damn video game anymore, so upsetting.

• Like 1

Like the title says, i am in serious need of someone who has completed this races' assistance.  I am not kidding i must have put in over 20 hours of replaying this over (its disgusting ive spent this much time on this) and over for the last 2 days.  i have tried everything i can think of.  The way it stands right now i have all pro mods unlocked on the Koenigsegg, and i cannot get past an average of 147.8 mph.  Someone....anyone able to help me past this race?  I'll help you with ANYTHING you need on a game we both have.

If you can help, send me a friend request on PSN with "Needle Point" in a note inside the request.

Thank you to anyone considering it, ill be so grateful its indescribable.  I just cannot take this over a damn video game anymore, so upsetting.

I've been working through this game, myself, over the past week or so, and I can easily say this was the hardest part of single player.. I didn't try for over 20 hours, but it was quite a few. Really tough. 

I used the Bugatti. It makes the requirement 5 miles higher, but I thought the Bugatti was easier to handle and rendered it moot. Key thing is not to crash. Easier said than done, I know, but if you wreck you might as well hit restart. I'd usually go into the turn to the airport at 165-170, and leave it at 150-155. From there, it was just a matter of not wrecking until I crossed the finish line. 

• Like 1

I've been working through this game, myself, over the past week or so, and I can easily say this was the hardest part of single player.. I didn't try for over 20 hours, but it was quite a few. Really tough. 

I used the Bugatti. It makes the requirement 5 miles higher, but I thought the Bugatti was easier to handle and rendered it moot. Key thing is not to crash. Easier said than done, I know, but if you wreck you might as well hit restart. I'd usually go into the turn to the airport at 165-170, and leave it at 150-155. From there, it was just a matter of not wrecking until I crossed the finish line. 

I appreciate the tip, that vehicle does seem a bit better, that 5mph doesnt sound like much normally but for this race it brings fear.  164 failed attempts right now.

I appreciate the tip, that vehicle does seem a bit better, that 5mph doesnt sound like much normally but for this race it brings fear.  164 failed attempts right now.

I hear ya. I think I did use the car with the lowest mileage requirements, on all the other ones. But yeah, after trying for quite awhile with the Bugatti, I decided to switch cars. But it wasn't too long after, that I went right back to the Bugatti, 'cause I didn't think I'd ever get it with the Koenigsegg.. But some have said it's easier with the Koenigsegg, so I guess it just depends on the person. Hope you manage to do it, at some point. I wish you good luck. :)

I also remember having troubles with it on the vita (not sure on the ps3, but then I did the ps3 long ago..).

And I also suggest to go with the Bugatti, unlock some pro mods for it (specially long gears pro, if I'm not wrong I only started to get close to the target time after unlocking that, or maybe it was the track tires pro)

• 4 weeks later...

This is by far the hardest race in the game, it took my 2 hours to complete it on my vita. I recommend you to placed at least on 2nd place with the agera, so you unlocked body aero (not sure). Try to use this mods too: Transmission Short gear, nitrous burn, chassis reinforced, and body aero. I dont remember which tires I use. Good Luck.     

• Like 1

I ended up using a PS Vita TV system.  I think the controller in my hands helped out alot, and the larger screen letting me see stuff faster.  The terrible graphics this game rendered as fast speeds made it way to easy to wipe out and not even know what to expect until you hit it.  I'd expect that on a ps3 or ps4 this race wouldnt be as hard.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Necro'ing an old thread but yeah. Must've tried a bajillion times on both my Vita and my Vita TV. On a maxed out Koenigsegg as well as a stock-ish Bugatti. Either wipe or lose too much speed. Very frustrating to do on Vita; no idea how people are getting this with ease :/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Needle Point was a bitch. Had to retry a few hours to finally nail it. I avoided using the brake as much as possible. Sometimes you might have to brake, like when coming out of the Airport or dealing with the descent on the highway afterwards.

I was regularly skipping the intro. Got impatient waiting for it and I got pissed because the cop kept slamming into me when I let it play out. ? If you're getting close runs within 1mph though then you probably already have the technique down and just need to play until you get the winning run.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Needle Point was a bitch. Had to retry a few hours to finally nail it. I avoided using the brake as much as possible. Sometimes you might have to brake, like when coming out of the Airport or dealing with the descent on the highway afterwards.

I was regularly skipping the intro. Got impatient waiting for it and I got pissed because the cop kept slamming into me when I let it play out. 1f606.png If you're getting close runs within 1mph though then you probably already have the technique down and just need to play until you get the winning run.

FEW HOURS ONLY?... 

I've been trying for a week now.. and those times are not my average.. 

Lol it's much lower than that. So do you not brake at all except for when you leave the airport? 

5 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

FEW HOURS ONLY?... 

I've been trying for a week now.. and those times are not my average.. 

Lol it's much lower than that. So do you not brake at all except for when you leave the airport? 

You might have to brake a little entering the airport too, but if you can minimize or eliminate that then all the better. I used the regular nitrous. Not a fan of the powershot, personally.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

You might have to brake a little entering the airport too, but if you can minimize or eliminate that then all the better. I used the regular nitrous. Not a fan of the powershot, personally.

Jesus I've been playing needle point all wrong..

I've been playing like I was playing Mario Kart DS.. 

I was doing the snaking technique this entire time..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I was doing the snaking technique this entire time..

Holy crap that technique has a name. Had to Google it to see what you were talking about, and realized I've been doing it in racing games forever now. Unfortunately, hitting drifts in time trials and speed trials takes away much needed speed, so that has to be kept to a minimum too.

Thank you for adding to my gamer vocabulary today.

• Like 1

NO DUDE... THANK YOU

I FINALLY BEAT THE DAMN NEEDLE POINT STAGE... 

I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE IT!!!

To all the people who said Bugatti is better...

Yall nuts..

For the noobs like me, I used. 

Koenigsegg Agera R

Tires: Off-Road Pro

Nitrous: Burn Pro

Chassis: Lightweight Pro

Body: Impact Protection

Transmission: Long Gears Pro (I prefer, Short Gears Pro, but at the very end.. it couldn't get to the speed I needed)

And thanks to AihaLoveleaf's tip you can also get it. On corners or when you're trying to avoid cars LET GO OF THE GAS AND BRAKES. I thought my speed would slow down dramatically but it doesn't. Just avoid making contact with anything and when you're about to enter the airport let go of the gas. 

When exiting the airport let go of the gas and brake hard [L1] and turn at the same time. When you're out press the NOS a Lil. 

• Like 1

To anyone else who is just a fraction too slow and is displaying speed in mph - try switching to metric units. The target speed is 155 mph with the Bugatti and 150 mph with the Koenigsegg. Switch to km/h and the target speeds are now 249 km/h and 241 km/h respectively.

These conversions are accurate when rounded to the nearest kilometre per hour - but the game tracks your average speed to 1 decimal place. Rounding the exact unit conversions to 1 decimal place gives 155.0 mph = 249.4 km/h and 150.0 mph = 241.4 km/h. However, the game ignores the extra .4 km/h when setting the target in km/h, so you only need to achieve 249.0 km/h or 241.0 km/h. Therefore, if you switch to displaying speed in metric, you can afford to be a tiny bit slower.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 27/06/2021 at 7:19 AM, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

NO DUDE... THANK YOU

I FINALLY BEAT THE DAMN NEEDLE POINT STAGE... 

I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE IT!!!

To all the people who said Bugatti is better...

Yall nuts..

For the noobs like me, I used. 

Koenigsegg Agera R

Tires: Off-Road Pro

Body: Impact Protection

Transmission: Long Gears Pro (I prefer, Short Gears Pro, but at the very end.. it couldn't get to the speed I needed)

And thanks to AihaLoveleaf's tip you can also get it. On corners or when you're trying to avoid cars LET GO OF THE GAS AND BRAKES. I thought my speed would slow down dramatically but it doesn't. Just avoid making contact with anything and when you're about to enter the airport let go of the gas. 

When exiting the airport let go of the gas and brake hard [L1] and turn at the same time. When you're out press the NOS a Lil. 

Oh my God! Man THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

I've been at this game for almost 6 years and Needle Point was always the one I struggled with. I platinumed the PS3 version years ago and that was a bit annoying but doable. But it's so much harder on Vita because you have less control with the analog stick and accelerate/brake.

The advice I'd seen previously told me to go with the Bugatti because apparently even though the speed you need to achieve is higher, you have more control so it's easier. That was a load of BS as far as I can tell. I've been trying with Bugatti for years and never managed to do it. I couldn't even get silver. Then I saw your comment and thought let me go for it. I got the Koenigsegg and got all the pro upgrades for it you mentioned. Then I started trying it and I was doing so much better. The advice about letting go of the gas and braking hard and turning was a game changer. Before that I was trying to do both and I'd go crashing into the fence on my way into the airport and flying off the cliff on my way out.

With the Bugatti, the amount of times I've tried is well into the hundreds. With the Koenigsegg and your advice, I got the silver and gold within 5 tries. I still can't believe I got this trophy. I thought I'd have to abandon the game or get a PS TV and use a proper controller instead. I'm now just one away from the platinum

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this response is 2 years after the last post, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who provided tips for this annoying race. I spent 2 hours on it this morning, but the single biggest tip that helped me was to not use the brake and to just let go of the gas when turning and avoiding things! Finally the hardest part is done and I can focus on beating the easier races now!

It still took me a while, but that was because I was too OCD to try and use the Koenigsegg because I had already started the race with the Bugatti and I wanted to clear it with the first vehicle I used to make sure I knew what events I completed when I go for the 1st place trophy. I bet if I try the race with the Koenigsegg later just for fun I'd probably find it easier :P 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Loadout for the Bugatti Veyron:

Tyres: Track Pro

Body: Impact Protection Pro

Transmission: Short Gears Pro

Platform: PlayStation TV

I tried to play this race differently but it did not work for me.  I had this crazy idea that taking down one of the Corvette Interceptors to fill up the nitrous boost would help raise the average speed.  Sometimes I even get an extra Corvette Interceptor just before the overpass and carry an average of up to 285 km/h before the gas station.  I even topped the nitrous tank at the gas station.  This is WRONG and should not be done

I had to restart countless of times just to make this 'experiment' work.  Just do things the traditional way.  All this methodology just complicates things and it does not work.  The average speed kept going down to silver after leaving Hodges despite starting so strong early on.  As it turns out, taking nitrous at the gas station affects the average since we would have to go through the dirt road that surrounds it.

Then there is this trick to not skip the cutscene which is very helpful as we would begin with 325 km/h instead of only 275 after every restart.  This goes up to 350 at the first checkpoint before we hit the breaks.  By the time I reach the overpass it moves between 265-290 km/h, enough buffer for when we go through the dirt road at Hodges averaging at 260 until exiting and re-joining Interstate 92 still on GOLD

No need to do anything extraordinary, just wing it and avoid collisions and of course after watching the cutscene.  That extra 50 km/h at the start is very helpful.  In actuality, it is easy to lose that much average speed with just a collision or bouncing off guard rails, but to build that back up takes forever.

Edited by Eispan
DeadSara rocks!