Fallout 4 - Trophies and Modding?

dernop

So, Fallout 4 will be out relatively soon and they also announced that there will be the possibility to use Mods even on the consoles.

This was always normal on the PC, but now it will come to XBONE too and later, most likely, even to PS4.

I'm just wondering: How will that go together with trophies? I mean there are quite some "cheat" mods out there for the last fallout games or games like Skyrim.

If using mods won't disable trophies, will that make them a joke to achieve? Should that even be possible?

I was just thinking randomly about this and would be very interested in other peoples opinions on this matter! :)

dernop

I think it would most likely be like on Minecraft creative mode where you can activate it, but it disables trophies for that save. I'm not even sure how mods work, however, for consoles, so I could be totally off with the implementation and concept of them.

I don't mind when they add different modes for games (like flying and such), but I don't think it should work for getting trophies if it makes it easier, since it would be silly to implement something officially that makes the game a joke :)

They should definitely disable trophies, imho. Mods are the same thing as hacking.

...Actually it IS hacking. Even if the trophies aren't disabled, people will find ways. Then we'll ban them from the leaderboard and some of them we'll come here and bitch about how they got banned. :P

• Like 4

I wouldn't really call it hacking, since it's something the game itself allows you to do, so banning people would be quite harsh in my opinion. But i do see the issue, mods can make all non quest related trophies easy as pie, so disabling trophies on modded savefiles would be the way to go. But then again, i'm not sure how to go about it. If trophies are only disabled as long as the mods are installed it'd be easy to set up everything on a modded save, uninstall the mod and then get the trophy but disabling trophies completely for using mods once would be too harsh on unsuspecting players. Did mods disable Steam achievements in Skyrim? I think they didn't, not sure though.

generally disabling trophies if you use any mods at all would be kind of extreme, i guess. 

some of the most popular mods are just things like nicer/high-res textures or more realistic weather and so on... wouldn't you want to be able to play the whole game with stuff like better textures or cooler looking weapons/people and everything while still getting trophies?

but then again, i also don't know how steam achievements for example are handled in this regard...

Edited by dernop

i now what you mean, then visual improvement mods have to be proven by the ???publisher/developer/sony??? whoever releases them to say that this mod won't effect the gameplay itself just some visual effects or whatever. dunno if they are willing to do so... i guess when there will ever be mods, they just disable trophies... maybe after some time when often used or something they will check the mod connection with the trophies.

• Like 1

Well I can tell you If you using mod their disable the achivement sisteme like Civilization V I got alot of mod and their lock the sisteme to prevent to unlock, but this why PC got alot advantage on the console with mod their can expand the game experience and I kinda suck that console cant do that, If I got an good laptop to play all new games, man I dont think I need more Ps3, but the reality their are so freaking expensive and their need to updated the graphic card in few years, so their good thing and Bad thing about mods, It all depend the computer you have

slightly off topic: generally i really like the idea of mods on consoles, because it's one of the biggest pro-arguments of the #pcmasterrace people, that they can mod games and "we" can't ;)

so this is a very nice development, really... i hope more games will make use of this in the future.

• Like 1

They should definitely disable trophies, imho. Mods are the same thing as hacking.

...Actually it IS hacking. Even if the trophies aren't disabled, people will find ways. Then we'll ban them from the leaderboard and some of them we'll come here and bitch about how they got banned. :P

I wouldn't say it's just pure hacking, modification is in between hacking and manipulating the game to your will. Plus I think Sony and MS will limit the content to a degree so it may not even be worth. :(

I wouldn't say it's just pure hacking, modification is in between hacking and manipulating the game to your will. Plus I think Sony and MS will limit the content to a degree so it may not even be worth. :(

True that it's not pure hacking. But the two terms "hacking" and "modding" are not far off from eachother. The basis of the two are mostly the same, you get inside a game's code and fiddle around with it your liking.

And to all of those that would say "using a mod of any kind shouldn't disable trophies," I don't believe that statement at all. I would agree that people will still try to warp mods to their advantage and get trophies, but hell, even pre programmed cheat codes in some games disable trophies. The possibilities of mods are practically endless. It's a bit unfair for people to earn all the trophies illegitimately by playing a virtual God of the Fallout 4 world.

i now what you mean, then visual improvement mods have to be proven by the ???publisher/developer/sony??? whoever releases them to say that this mod won't effect the gameplay itself just some visual effects or whatever. dunno if they are willing to do so... i guess when there will ever be mods, they just disable trophies... maybe after some time when often used or something they will check the mod connection with the trophies.

I could accept Sony approving mods for trophies, but I wonder if they will. With mods practically being unexplored on PS4, I think it'd be a lot of work.
  • Like 1

True that it's not pure hacking. But the two terms "hacking" and "modding" are not far off from eachother. The basis of the two are mostly the same, you get inside a game's code and fiddle around with it your liking.

And to all of those that would say "using a mod of any kind shouldn't disable trophies," I don't believe that statement at all. I would agree that people will still try to warp mods to their advantage and get trophies, but hell, even pre programmed cheat codes in some games disable trophies. The possibilities of mods are practically endless. It's a bit unfair for people to earn all the trophies illegitimately by playing a virtual God of the Fallout 4 world.

There will be a limit to what you can download considering consoles are too weak to do anything worthwhile. All people want to play is the good mods and see what the hoot nanny makes them good. The trophies thing will be down to how Bethesda makes them, I can guarantee that people will try and place viruses into mods. 

Modding ain't all it's cracked up to be:

bLhdmYW.jpg

And if it'll be like any of the other modding communities I've seen, I've quite had my fill of palette swapped weapons/enemies with overblown statistics, story quests with ludicrous elements (like the Spanish Inquisition for some reason), and presumably fully grown adults writing character dialogue at a third grade reading level.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

When modding on ps4/xbone... it creates a new save and keeps the original... so if you wanted to mess around with mods, but didn't want it to impact your trophies... you'd be in luck. Only thing is, modding probably won't come to ps4 until the middle of next year anyway, and that's if Sony allows mods in the first place. I don't plan to use mods in the game.... 

They announced free mods, but they didn't talk about the way they will be distributed. So far the only way to get a digital game content on PS platforms is through PS Store...Will they create a new marketplace? Will they take into account hundreds of mods to select those who will be acceptable to publish in their opinion? I think that we will only see additional quests/items/character customisation options as mods on console.

When modding on ps4/xbone... it creates a new save and keeps the original... so if you wanted to mess around with mods, but didn't want it to impact your trophies... you'd be in luck. Only thing is, modding probably won't come to ps4 until the middle of next year anyway, and that's if Sony allows mods in the first place. I don't plan to use mods in the game.... 

Well it is coming to PS4 but yeah probably in april may would be my guess, X1 will get it around january february.  And i love the idea of mods for a game like this. Just look at the graphical upgrades Skyrim has gotten with mods. I would love to be able to make Fallout 3 look as good as Fallout 4. And make Fallout 4 keep looking better and better at least so it ages gracefully considering these Bethesda games only come out every 3-4 years. Even if it's supported for just a year or two. Means when the next game is announced, we can come back to older games and it won't be as much as a difference than playing a semi new games that came out after it.