Recommend a J-game

In other words, Japanese games recommendation thread, desu~!

Dear community of PSNP, we all know there's a pretty big group of Japanese games fans among us and some others may be trying to get a taste of this genre but are unsure what to start with.

Do you have any Japanese game you would definitely recommend to newcomers?

Do you have a game that veterans should go for?

Write about it. And show the love for it!

(Preferably localized so everyone can enjoy it regardless of their Japanese skills.)

If you are recommending to both categories, try to separate them for better visibility =)

And now the true reason for this thread =D I need something to add to my wishlist =D My wishlist is pretty much empty apart from Omega Quintet and Tears to Tiara which are next on purchase list and even the Big in Japan sale didn't help much as I had like 80% of it =D

Please throw a lot of games at me, I need something new to the wishlist, I don't want to think I have seriously purchased everything I could :D PSV, PS3, PS4 (yea, I'm joking here), I don't mind =D

just like most of us know the best games are in Japan.

This is not about knowing, this is an universal truth  :awesome:

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

About to start Omega Quintet, halfway through Tears to Tiara II... :lol:

The Persona series is always a good choice when it comes to JRPGs.

The Hyperdimension series for the humor and parody.

Also if you like visual novels, Dangaronpa, Zero Escape and Steins; Gate are great choices.

• Like 1

Let's see:

Tales of Xillia 1 & 2, Graces f, Symphonia

Ni no Kuni

Star Ocean

Disgaea 3, 4, D2 (and in october 5)

Catherine

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1, mk2, Victory, all the remakes and the Vita games

Atelier Rorona, Meruru, Totori and so on

Ar tonelico

Trinity Universe

Dragons Crown

Mugen Souls 1 & Z

Battle Princess of Arcadias

That's all I have so far. And all the vita games, but I'm a bit in a hurry right now. Maybe I will list them later.

• Like 2

Any of the Nep games. They are noob friendly and the gameplay is pretty easy to get into. Definitely recommend the nep games to JRPG newcomers, 

Persona 4 Golden is another highlight that I recommend. It was actually my first JRPG game. You might encounter some difficulty spikes in the game but other than that, it shouldn't be that hard for JRPG newbies. 

Muramasa Rebirth, awesome side scrolling game. Does not require any learning, it's pretty straightforward and very easy to get into.

So are we recommending the games to you or just in general? xD

I have no idea what to recommend to you since you're like the master of J-games and I'm still fairly new to them :P but if I'm supposed to recommend them to anyone, then I suggest everyone should play the Project Diva series because it's the most addictive and adorable game ever.

So are we recommending the games to you or just in general? xD

To everyone AND to me =D

I kinda expect to catch on something while you guys are giving out tips to others =D

Let's see:

Ni no Kuni

Star Ocean

Catherine

Ar tonelico

Trinity Universe

Dragons Crown

Mugen Souls 1 & Z

That's all I have so far. And all the vita games, but I'm a bit in a hurry right now. Maybe I will list them later.

Oh, thanks, first big list =D

And now the sad part...

If I go by that list.

Have

Have

Friend has

Friend has

Have

Have

Have

Waiting for Vita version

Planning

Have

Friend has

Planning

So... that's that =D 

Anything from the Disgaea series of course, the best strategy rpg around doods (and prinny master race)

Also Resonance of Fate, which is part of that big EU japan sale, because imo it is one of the best and most unique Jrpgs I've played on PS3. It is more than worth it at full price and a steal at a discounted price. Seriously this is a must have for any jrpg fans, go and buy it now doods!

I have played my fair share of j-games, and ofcourse i would recommend titles most people already know, like the nep games or danganronpa. But i'll list some games that aren't well known imo.

• El Shaddai: Ascension of the metatron was pretty good. Kind of underrated.
  • Rune factory: oceans was pretty good too. Reminded me a lot of animal crossing, it has that same relaxed daily life cycle.
  • You can never go wrong with suda51's games, they're weird and have a great art style. My favourite being lollipop chainsaw, but if you don't like a cheerleader killing zombies. You can check out No More heroes or shadows of the damned.
  • And if for some reason you have access to a x360, you need to get lost odyssey. Like seriously, buy it.
  • Like 1

For newcomers you cannot look past Persona 3 and 4 they are just that good!

But for veterans, most skipped on Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate. Both are brilliant games! Aside from those, every Tales game except Tales of Graces, Ni No Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles (for me the best JRPG for the ps3), all Disgaea games and the FF except for 13 and 13-2. Aside from those The Atelier games and Time and Eternity are also good (played only one Atelier game and loved it) but very underrated. Also no JRPG fan can let themselves skip on the Fire Emblem series!! Awakening was brilliant (will buy the game myself when I get a 3ds this summer) and the two new games look even better. The previous FE games were also awesome but I did not like the first DS FE. Hope this helps :D 

Try giving th other 20% a chance from the Sale u never know

The remaining 20% are games I own but on other platforms :awesome:

Nah, I'm joking obviously. Those games aren't enough interesting for me. I don't really like real-like graphics games.

• El Shaddai: Ascension of the metatron was pretty good. Kind of underrated.

Why do I feel weird for knowing this game? =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Let's see:

Ni no Kuni

Star Ocean

Catherine

Ar tonelico

Trinity Universe

Dragons Crown

Mugen Souls 1 & Z

Cool list, B) i'm looking to get into some Japanese games, thanks for the recommendations.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva f & f 2nd are really fun! I like f 2nd better though. I would highly recommend Project Diva Dreamy Theater because it's my favorite in the franchise, but it's a real hassle to get :/

There's an IA game that comes out in a month.

IA is getting her own game? I didn't think she was that popular.