Five Games I Think Are Better Than Grand Theft Auto V

Remilia Scarlet

How the hell does Spiderman even compare to GTA?

I've never understood why GTA gets so much hate. Then again people love to hate popular games and then accuse those who like it of being on a bandwagon. -_-

I was gonna post but I'll just quote Dark Mark because he's spot on.

• Like 3

The only really good game you listed is sleeping dogs. I played it and its amazing, better than GTA V? Yes. Better than GTA Online? Nope, I might be wrong but GTA online is the most complete online experience you can get and with new DLCs every 1-2month you don't get bored ;)

Edited by pese-97
  • Like 1

I don't get the point of this topic. This doesn't encourage any discussion or anything, it's just you listing 5 random games. Some of them aren't even similar to GTA V. Like Borderlands 2, seriously? Borderlands 2 and GTA V are nothing alike.

Edited by Azaan60

Despite the fake hatred you pair are never far apart...kind of sweet actually LOL!!

They're heterosexual life-mates like Jay and Silent Bob.

OT: I watched a friend play about 10 minutes of gta 3 and haven't looked at the series since then. I don't care how good the graphics or gameplay get, a game about being a criminal, stealing cars and shooting random people isn't for me. Then again, I haven't played the other games that you mentioned except borderlands 2 which I didn't care for(probably burn out from the first game), and Skyrim which I love.

I do agree that your topic could've been a little more focused. Could have said " 5 games I like more.. " or "5 3rd person games better.." It feels like you just wanted to act cool with this topic. Or like somebody else said, you just wanted to piss in the fire and watch peoples reactions.

Edited by Hemiak

I know this is purely your opinion, but to really give an unbiased opinion surely the five games should at least be comparable to GTA?  Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs I can understand as they do have comparable qualities, however the other games you have listed don't really.

For only playing 16 hours of single player and 8 hours online of GTA V, I honestly don't feel you have experienced enough of the game to pass a definitive judgement.

• Like 2

Well, I appreciate you guys being civil about my topic post. I didn't make this to see people get pissed off. It was just my honest opinion. Next time I create a topic attempting to compare games, I'll try to keep it a little more focused. I really do appreciate you guys taking time out of your day to read my topic.

• Like 2

I see your points. GTA V was a very enjoyable game for me. Overrated? No doubt. Realistically, though, there will never be a game where everyone will agree it's the best. We're all different! We all don't like the same women, cars, and movies. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. 

Personally though... The original Deus Ex is still perfect in my eyes  :D

• Like 1

But, *gasp* I did! And I do! As Kilo said, GTA is just drive, shoot, drive. Saints Row mixed it up with drive, shoot, destroy this, hack this, raid that safehouse, drive, shoot, beat up this guy.

Are you trying to say that you don't destroy things, raid places and/or beat people up in GTA?

Or did you mean GTA actually does it well? ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I agree that most of these 5 games are justifiably comparable in terms of content, quality and general enjoyment of the game (Especially Sleeping Dogs that game is fucking awesome) However, I highly disagree with the Amazing Spider Man. Because that game, while fun has no love put into it. Even if you Don't like GTA V you can really see the care and Immense sense of attention to detail and passion put into the game. I really think that when people "hate" this game they are just what I call "Hate Hipsters" who just hate something because other people do. (the best example of that is Call of Duty which is not a bad game but everyone hates it)

• Like 1

I'm really curious to why there was a list.  I mean, you don't like the game, it's near the bottom of your list, there's certainly a lot of games above it, why make a list of 5 instead of just remarking on why you didn't like GTA V?

Anyway, as far as GTA games go, my preferred order is Vice City, San Andreas, 2, III, V, VC Stories, LC Stories, IV.  There's a couple I never played, but 4 is by far the worst GTA game ever.  At least 5 brought back much of the extras that SA introduced that 4 cut out so they could concentrate on making it 'pretty'.  I enjoyed the story in 5 to a degree, but it was definitely not as crisp as some of their older games.  VC and SA are still my favs, followed closely by 2, which is where I started the series, and got me hooked for all the installments since.

In regards to your list, I can only comment on what I've played, and if you like Saints Row The Third, you should go back and play SR 1 and 2.  The stories in those were far superior and I think 2 was the best (and I've played 1-4, but not Gat yet).  Sleeping Dogs was fantastic, I really enjoyed it, and will play it again someday.  Borderlands 2 is also one of my favorite games ever, so I definitely agree with you on that one.

Since many of the games mentioned are very GTA-esque (Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs), if you haven't played it yet, I would recommend The Saboteur.  If it doesn't replace one of the other 5 on your list, I'd be surprised.  The best way to describe it is it's a sandbox game similar to GTA/SR/SD, but takes place in Nazi-occupied France.  It includes elements from other games that were very well placed, and it includes an interesting aesthetic feature that I wasn't sure I'd like, and ended up loving.  Plus, the story is pretty damn good.  Since the game is older now (2009), you could probably pick it up for well under $20  I Platinumed this game on PS3 and 1000G on 360 (played it first on 360), and I would play it again on PS4 if it were ever re-released.

• Like 1

Personally I think gta v is overrated however none of those games come close to gta v in terms of polish and detail. The only one comparable is sleeping dogs. Saints row 3 is pretty terrible and I havent enjoyed a saints row game since 2. Borderlands 2 is a brilliant game but you are comparing apples to oranges when they are completey different genres. Skyrim is also overrated but I think its better than gta v. Now we come to the amazing Spiderman I mean come on why this? Shadow of mordor would have been a better option.

This list basically makes no sense. Borderlands 2 and Skyrim have no place to be on there, and Amazing Spider Man? c'mon man, you're essentially just listing games you like more without actually comparing a thing between all those five games. This makes no sense.

And I disagree with every single person on the thread when it comes to GTA V. Brilliant game and one of the best of its generation.

I see that your are anti- GTA V and that's fine, but 3/5 games on your list aren't even in the same genre as GTA. A closer apples to apples comparison would help your case out more. And although you definitely have the right to your opinion  Im not sure how you can leave this quote:

But, *gasp* I did! And I do! As Kilo said, GTA is just drive, shoot, drive. Saints Row mixed it up with drive, shoot, destroy this, hack this, raid that safehouse, drive, shoot, beat up this guy.

and then have the amazing spiderman on the list. Did we play the same game?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Didn't see this coming did you? The Amazing Spider-Man, though it is a film tie-in, is just fun to play. It has a story that continues after the film (don't worry, I won't spoil anything, but I will say that several boss battles are immensely fun), and your signature Spidey game play. Build up combos to pwn the bad guys, you can level up and upgrade Spider-Man, and even unlock various costumes for him to wear by collecting the hundreds of emblems scattered throughout New York. Also scattered around NYC are hundreds of comic book pages that unlock digital issues of the classic Spider-Man comics. It doesn't hurt that Beenox did a good job with the graphics. Like Spider-Man 3, the missions are separated by their own plots. The story missions are represented by their own logo, Oscorp by their own, etc. Aside from that, you can also rescue civilians from plague outbreaks, send escaped inmates to the police, ability trials, races, and stop crimes in progress. The amount to do here is honestly staggering for a game like this.

I feel it only right that I rip this game apart, as I have the movie it's based on so many times in the past. Fun fact though, I've done more pages of "Why the god damned Spider-Man reboot sucks donkey dong" than I probably have any productive speech online.

1. Story that continues after the film. Well, sort of. It's more of a spin off story than anything. The hypothetical world of this game has the backstory of the movie, but then takes it in an entirely new direction while at the same time, not altering the main story enough that anyone in the sequel has to acknowledge it. References here and there of Gwen's father being killed doesn't make you a full on follow up to me, it makes you a story in the same universe. The self contained story about the cross species had so much potential but fell flat on it's face, much to my disappointment.

2. Several boss battles are immensely fun. While I've not played the game in over a year, mostly due to my constant replaying of the far better Spider-Man games, hell, I was playing a bit of Spidey 2 and 3 just yesterday, anyway, the bosses are shit. That's not to say the earlier games did it better, they didn't, but the bosses in ASM pretty well consist entirely of punch, punch, dodge, punch, retreat, punch, punch, punch, dodge, dead. The boss battles are where the game shows it's true self (a piss poor Arkham clone) more than anywhere else.

3. Signature Spidey game play. If by that you mean copy past Arkham's combat into New York and make terrible web swinging controls and mechanics that give the bird to the word "realism" then sure. Let's see, Spidey 1 for PS1/64 had the "press R2 to endlessly swing around" thing and a punch, kick and web button with like 2 combos. Decent beginnings, but nothing special. Spidey 2 for the PS1 was largely the same. Spidey's first movie game, was a much refined version of this, but with a shitload of combos. Spidey 2 (console version at least, god I hate the PC version of this game) is where he gets his signature, full open world swinging with mechanics that actually make sense and a decent stack of combos/countermoves, that's his signature. Spidey 3 largely kept it the same, the PS3/360 versions though fucked with it a bit so play the PS2/PSP/even the Wii versions, as they're more close to Spidey 2 in terms of handling. Web of Shadows furthered the next gen's descent into the realm of disbelief, I love Web of Shadows so much, but your webs don't even stick to buildings anymore, sure it's fun but it's not even close to realistic. Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time, they're indoor games made by Beenox, who clearly weren't ready for an open world one. Then ASM comes, they try their hand at open world, and we get this: 1. Your webs go into the god damned sky again. 2. The combat is clearly copy pasted from the much more successful Arkham series. 3. That stupid web rush thing should have been called "are you too lazy to web zip like a normal person? Press this" and while it's nice in theory, I never used it. 4. Holding R2 shouldn't send me to the top of a god damned sky scraper. The way he swings in this pisses me off so much, you're on the ground right, you run off, jump, start to swing, and you're a mile high. 5. Just so I can have a nice number, the voice actors pissed me off, and when you're just swinging around and Spidey says something stupid like "I'm loving this", "Woo hoo!", "Do I love this or what?", "I'm God" (Vita exclusive I think, never heard it on consoles), and so on.

4. Also scattered around NYC are hundreds of comic book pages. This is great in theory too, 700 of them, some of them flying around in the sky even. Except that when you get 500, and when there's so many, that shouldn't take long, the rest just come up on the damn map, thus removing the search for them. They're not hidden collectables if they ain't hidden. Also worth noting, I've still not found all the collectables in Spider-Man 2, I've logged well over a couple of thousand hours into that game, I love it, and I'll never find all the stuff in there without a guide. When you've got someone with as varied of a skill set as Spider-Man as your protagonist, put some effort into hiding things. Sides of buildings, between chairs or something on top of buildings, I'm not the level designer, I don't know, but they damn well should.

5. It doesn't hurt that Beenox did a good job with the graphics. Wat? Dude, the graphics are fucking horrible. The god damned sequel on PS4 looks average at best. Spidey 3 on PS3, Web of Shadows on PS3 (well actually last time I played it I recall a horrible frame rate but that could have been my TV acting up), hell, Ultimate Spider-Man on PS2, these games have nice visuals. Average Spider-Man (what I informally call the reboot) looks horrible, there's pop in everywhere, the textures have infinitely less detail than this god damned post yelling about them, and so on.

6. Aside from that, you can also rescue civilians from plague outbreaks, send escaped inmates to the police, ability trials, races, and stop crimes in progress. The amount to do here is honestly staggering for a game like this. Last comparison to Spider-Man 2 I'll make, I swear. THIS WAS THE WORST PART OF THE ENTIRE GAME. Yeah, sidemissions are great, I love them, it's probably why I've spent so much time in Spidey 2 actually...no, wait, that's right, I spent so much time doing them in Spider-Man 2 because you can always keep doing them. Amazingly Average-Man's game can't even do that. You find the patients, you send the inmates back, you do the cop stuff, do the races, all that, then you're done. There's no replay function, not that you'd want to, but more importantly, it ends there. If I fire my save for that game up right now, there will be NOTHING to do in the city. At all. All the comics, all the missions, done. So what now then? Well, I could restart the game, except that the game was shit. I could trade in the game, but I never abandon my Spidey shit, and it's not worth anything, rightfully so.

Bonus round: Amazing Spider-Man 2012 for PS3/360/PC is shit. However, there are still some ways you can enjoy this game without being a tosser.

3DS, this version of the game is just the story missions, and some weird thing called vigilante mode which you should just avoid, there's no disappointment to be had in the open world if you go into it having no open world.

Wii, this version is the 3DS game, but on your TV.

PS Vita, although this is the same shitty game on PS3, just without Bruce Campbell for some reason, it gets a pass because the Vita doesn't really have anything better. Although if you still have a PSP, Spidey 3 and even the PSP version of Spidey 2 are far better options.

Android/iOS, these are entirely different games, but they have an open world setting, share some villains, and don't run out of random missions to do when you finish the damn game.

As far as the entire "Amazing" franchise goes, you want a good game? Get Amazing 2 for Android. Decent size open world, decent length campaign, bunch of upgrades, bunch of costumes, and also, it didn't dick me out of 70 bucks each time I bought the damn game.

Now, please don't take the above as being entirely too dickish, I genuinely would like if you'd prove your points back at me, and I'm not trying to be hostile, at least not towards you, just the game. This game is really shit in my eyes and if you can find something redeeming in it then be my guest. However, as someone who doesn't really give that much of a shit for GTA V, saying this piece of Spidey Slander is better, is, well, wrong. It's poorly made, poorly written, poorly acted, plays poorly, and thank fuck it had an easy platinum because if I had to grind this damn game I would have just left it on my shelf for a couple years.

• Like 3

Yo the missions are garbage. Drive here, shoot these guys, drive back. There are only 3 or 4 of the 70 missions in the single player that are good. And the second heist was one of the worst missions I have played in my gaming career.

Any game above a 65 on Metacritic is better than GTAV

That's like saying Dark Souls is repetitive because its just dodge this, kill that, fight boss, light bone fire, taadah!

Its an awful simplification of the game.

gta is proof of what advertisement can do even if a game is absolute trash

GTA barely advertises compared to big triple A games. Its reputation carries it, rightfully so.

Again, simplifying GTA. Also implying GTA has no missions where you raid and destroy?

Haha ok, I can name 100 games that are better then GTA V, but I wont. Because I hate writing long ass posts and in the end only 2 people read them in the end, but anyway! GTA V is probably the worst of em if you dont count the "Stories" spin off's. The story isnt very good. Personally I found Trevor the only interesting character and at this point I feel that crazy characters like him have been done a bunch of times before and also better. The online is the worst part. How can a company that made 1 billion dollars during the first day of release have online servers this terrible? I'm not just talking about the launch. They never fixed the horrendous loading times and freezes, everyday when Im trying to connect online at somepoint I get an error. It's fun to play heists when the game actually works but too bad that doesnt happen very often.

How aren't the story very good or other character not very interesting? you're not really elaborating here. Michael, Franklin and Trevor are very unique to the industry: they're all very well crafted and personalized, while being complete assholes.

I see your points. GTA V was a very enjoyable game for me. Overrated? No doubt. Realistically, though, there will never be a game where everyone will agree it's the best. We're all different! We all don't like the same women, cars, and movies. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. 

Personally though... The original Deus Ex is still perfect in my eyes  :D

This is slightly hijacking but I played Deus Ex again the other day and man has it not aged well. I still love it for what it did back then and it has a special place in my heart but still.

• Like 1

This is a thread about five games that are better than GTAV. Not a thread about five games that are similar to GTAV and are better.

The comparison hold no weight. For example I can make a five games better than Silent Hill and then put Call of Duty on there. What discussion can you have when there is no comparison?

• Like 3

This is slightly hijacking but I played Deus Ex again the other day and man has it not aged well. I still love it for what it did back then and it has a special place in my heart but still.

I know, I know... I just get a lot of nostalgia every time I fire it up. Good times :-)